Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
but 45-60 minutes to warm-soak all the interior and make the battery toasty is not excessive at all, and that is starting with a 45˚ F. garage.

In similar temps, and maybe even a bit lower, I have found that 20-30 minutes is more than adequate. The cabin is completely warm including seats and steering wheel BUT it is not long enough to completely eliminate the re-gen limit. I will still have some re-gen limitation, but for me it's a good compromise between comfort/drivability and energy use.

I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

My lifetime avg is around 330Wh/mi. This is with 21's. Mostly highway miles at 31k

There was a nice compilation of data from this thread dated June 6, 2014. I was just browsing to see if anyone has updated the compilation since then, but I was unable to find any mention of it. Sorry if I have overlooked it, but does anyone know about this?

There was a nice compilation of data from this thread dated June 6, 2014. I was just browsing to see if anyone has updated the compilation since then, but I was unable to find any mention of it. Sorry if I have overlooked it, but does anyone know about this?

No one has updated it. Too bad, but it was a lot of work, so I can understand why it's no longer kept up.

My S60 turns 2 in a couple days -- but I track energy usage by calendar month, so here's my 2 year update:

Lifetime: 290 Wh/mi over 36,506 miles.
Year 2 (June '14 to May '15): 287 Wh/mi over 19,780 miles. We took a ~4500 mile road trip last summer and did a ~1k spring break trip.
Year 1 (June '13 to May '14): 294 Wh/mi over 16,726 miles.

I had a drive unit replacement in Feb '14 -- prior to then, all months were 290-312 Wh/mi each. After then, the monthly readings ranged from 265-288 Wh/mi, with the exception of 3 months of 300, 302 and 312 when we were on road trips (so higher speeds for a good chunk of the miles that month took the average up vs my normal commuting pattern)...

I had a drive unit replacement in Feb '14 -- prior to then, all months were 290-312 Wh/mi each. After then, the monthly readings ranged from 265-288 Wh/mi
This is interesting. I have the audible buzzing noise in my drive unit. My SC has offered to replace it or wait until they have a way to repair it (apparently very close to 'production'). I've had concerns that I'll notice an increase in my consumption with a different drive unit, so for now I've decided to wait on the repair. Your note seems to indicate that the drive unit may indeed imply some kind of consumption variability. Was there a specific reason for replacement?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433163629.148316.jpg
not a bad month give over 2000 miles driven.

This is interesting. I have the audible buzzing noise in my drive unit. My SC has offered to replace it or wait until they have a way to repair it (apparently very close to 'production'). I've had concerns that I'll notice an increase in my consumption with a different drive unit, so for now I've decided to wait on the repair. Your note seems to indicate that the drive unit may indeed imply some kind of consumption variability. Was there a specific reason for replacement?

Mine was replaced due to an audible whine. The service manager noticed it on a quick test drive with him trying to diagnose something else. He mentioned that they'd need to replace the drive unit -- but suggested waiting another couple months since the latest revision was about to go into production. I hadn't noticed it myself before then -- but when I drove a loaner a few days later, I noticed it wasn't there. I believe the issue I had was the one resolved in later 2014 to be fixed by a shim...

Last edited:
So you must only drive downhill and have a lift to take you back up? :smile:
Or is there some other secret?

It's really just practice. From May 1 to June 1 I put on 4,366 miles about 3,400 of which were trip miles and about 1000 commute miles. I was actually surprised because the Wh/mi went down (last month was 250). With all the rain I drove in, I thought they would have increased.