Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went in for service earlier this week and ended up getting a new (reman'd) drive unit and a loaner battery while my battery goes back to Freemont. What's the general concensus when replacing parts like this? Do I keep my lifetime numbers going or reset? I'm leaning towards letting it roll, especially since I've only put on 3,500 miles.

A very bad month for efficiency. :cool:
IMG_5641.JPG

Mine has slowly decreased in the past nearly 2 years. Started around 334, now at 331. Never precondition and rarely use the AC, even when over 100 degrees, but do have the windows down.

It seems the most relevant factor in Wh/mi is configuration:
60's in mid to high 200's
85's around 300
P85 and 85D's in low 300's
P85D in mid 300's

FullSizeRender.jpg

Mine has slowly decreased in the past nearly 2 years. Started around 334, now at 331. Never precondition and rarely use the AC, even when over 100 degrees, but do have the windows down.

It seems the most relevant factor in Wh/mi is configuration:
60's in mid to high 200's
85's around 300
P85 and 85D's in low 300's
P85D in mid 300's
configuration and location, having a winter to deal with really does a number on your long term average.

IMG_1144.JPG

Apologize for the blurry photo, but I glanced down and found the stats pretty interesting. Trip A represents July through today. Trip B is near-lifetime. In case you can't read it, the numbers are:

A: 2140.4mi 630.4kWh 295Wh/mi
B: 21,405mi 6305.3kWh 295Wh/m

Talk about consistent!

My car went in for service earlier this week and ended up getting a new (reman'd) drive unit and a loaner battery while my battery goes back to Freemont. What's the general concensus when replacing parts like this? Do I keep my lifetime numbers going or reset? I'm leaning towards letting it roll, especially since I've only put on 3,500 miles.

I don't know if there is a consensus. But here's what I did (I had a drive unit replaced about 9 months into ownership...):

In this thread, I report my total lifetime number since purchase (I post an update every couple months). But I also track everything in a spreadsheet, and I have one table with the calculated Wh/mi on the first drive unit, with another calc since (and I posted a reference to it in this thread a while back). Interestingly, I immediately saw better Wh/mi with the 2nd drive unit -- and my Wh/mi is ~10% lower since (replacement was almost 18 months ago). I have another table where I track the Wh/mi on each set of tires (seeing similar #'s with my 2nd set, which are the OEM Goodyear 19") -- I set this one up since I'd be curious to see if the Primacy or another LRR tire really does have the ~3% better range that Tesla says, but I haven't had a set of LRRs yet....

Because I track my energy use readings in that spreadsheet, I use Trip A for the current month, and Trip B for the current year (based on purchase date), and then the spreadsheet calc the lifetime #. I just use calendar month, even though I received my car on June 4, 2013... I also track other things in that spreadsheet -- firmware updates, supercharger use, non-supercharger range/100% charges, etc. Basically I take a picture of the energy use info and enter that info into my spreadsheet once or twice a month.

I've never done this level of tracking for any other car (although I did track MPG on my previous 2 cars using the Gas Cubby app). Like most of us, this is my first EV and I was really curious to learn how it behaved... The tracking probably takes me ~15 minutes a month and has helped better me understand the car...

Last edited:
...I've never done this level of tracking for any other car (although I did track MPG on my previous 2 cars using the Gas Cubby app). Like most of us, this is my first EV and I was really curious to learn how it behaved... The tracking probably takes me ~15 minutes a month and has helped better me understand the car...

I have tracked everything from day 1 also. last car I tracked every tank of gas. With the S there is much more to track. 5th set of different tires, have tried 4 wheel sets and every trip + temp and charge tracked....3200 rows!

have dropped down to 364 Whr/mi @ 40k miles
Untitled.jpg