Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just looking at it today. 302 Wh/mile.

Found out that gasoline has an electric equivalence of 33.7kWh/gallon. (http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf)

Ran the calculations. For ICE drivers out there, we're getting 112 Miles/gallon equivalent!

Here's the math (for my daughter who's learning multiplication and division):

1088.3 kWh total/ 33.7 kWh/gallon = 32.3 gallons total for life of car at this point (for daughter: you cancel out the kWh and bring up the gallon).

3606.8 miles total/ 32.3 gallons = 111.7 miles/gallon equivalent for the life of the car at this point (for daughter: you can round up at this point to get 112 mpg-e).

Daughter: "Cool!"

0012.jpg

Last edited:
Has someone a lifetime Wh/mi using the charged amount of kWh instead of the kWh used by the car? So that we come to a gross average Wh/mi (sort of well to wheel efficiency, ignoring efficiency of kWh production). A bit difficult because of the kWh
you charge away from home (Superchargers). But maybe someone has numbers to post...

I personally didn't do that yet but I'm planning to do so (averaging 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month...) since it's easy for me because I seldom use Superchargers (1 month without SC is no exception).

Regards,
Bernd

S 70 (Nov. 2015)

Has someone a lifetime Wh/mi using the charged amount of kWh instead of the kWh used by the car? So that we come to a gross average Wh/mi (sort of well to wheel efficiency, ignoring efficiency of kWh production). A bit difficult because of the kWh
you charge away from home (Superchargers). But maybe someone has numbers to post...
Charging is about 85% efficient. What I do is:
1. Electricity costs about $0.09/kWh
2. About 50% of driving is vacation trips, often Sc or destination charging.
3. So I just divide what the car shows by ten and don't worry about any small variances.

Was just looking at it today. 302 Wh/mile.

Found out that gasoline has an electric equivalence of 33.7kWh/gallon. (http://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf)

Ran the calculations. For ICE drivers out there, we're getting 112 Miles/gallon equivalent!

Here's the math (for my daughter who's learning multiplication and division):

1088.3 kWh total/ 33.7 kWh/gallon = 32.3 gallons total for life of car at this point (for daughter: you cancel out the kWh and bring up the gallon).

3606.8 miles total/ 32.3 gallons = 111.7 miles/gallon equivalent for the life of the car at this point (for daughter: you can round up at this point to get 112 mpg-e).

Daughter: "Cool!"

View attachment 110907

dunno, lighting up gasoline is a pretty bad comparison as gasoline engines are not very efficient... It's sort of like saying gasoline has lots of kilojoules but you still cant drink it and live off it. Fact is, that the car makers are pushing boundaries all the time and making the vehicles more fuel efficient. If that continues much more an electric vehicle won't be so cost advantagous afterall (well, for fuel consumption only).

I've had my S for just over 3 months. It's great and I love it. The first month (1800 mi) I had so much fun hammering it around town and showing the car off to people. Then I saw this thread, looked up my lifetime Wh/mi and I was shocked to see 410!!! Inspired by some of your numbers, I wanted to see if I could get better. Since that time I have managed to push my lifetime average down to 379 Wh/mi. I don't do a ton of highway driving so I'm feeling pretty good about this, given the environmental conditions.

I explained this all to my wife the other day and she said, "Who the hell cares? 1) It's not a competition, 2) It's running on renewable energy, 3) It's a fun car to drive....JUST DRIVE IT!"

So to all you featherfoots out there babying your accelerator around town...enjoy it. Me? I'm having some fun.

I've had my S for just over 3 months. It's great and I love it. The first month (1800 mi) I had so much fun hammering it around town and showing the car off to people. Then I saw this thread, looked up my lifetime Wh/mi and I was shocked to see 410!!! Inspired by some of your numbers, I wanted to see if I could get better. Since that time I have managed to push my lifetime average down to 379 Wh/mi. I don't do a ton of highway driving so I'm feeling pretty good about this, given the environmental conditions.

I explained this all to my wife the other day and she said, "Who the hell cares? 1) It's not a competition, 2) It's running on renewable energy, 3) It's a fun car to drive....JUST DRIVE IT!"

So to all you featherfoots out there babying your accelerator around town...enjoy it. Me? I'm having some fun.

Just like some folks like to see how fast they can go in 1/4 mile, others like to see how little energy they can use.

We are having fun! Especially since we can autopilot the long boring drives (which we have to do a ton more of), enjoy our company together more, and still get great efficiency!

From earlier this month:
Tesla Dash 3-8-16.JPG

Unfortunately my FW6.2 days are numbered. Tesla reached out to me and wants to replace my battery contactors. I am sure they will force me to update the firmware. Also, with almost 3 years worth of data being posted on this thread, perhaps that's enough...

Funny that I've been saving this for a while, but here's how far you can drive on 25,000 kWh (25 MWh) in a Tesla Model S, over 3 1/2 winters and a little over three years. The top line is lifetime driving as of February, in Massachusetts. The bottom is since December 1. Car arrived December 16, 2012. Hope all are still very much enjoying the drive as am I. By the way, my solo panels have generated just over 25 MW, so truly just about all of this driving is driven on sunshine.
image.jpeg