Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 17 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month July
Distance = 1061
Total energy kWh = 333
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 314
Avg Temp 73.6 F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (17 Months)
Distance = 20,517 miles
Total energy kWh = 6634
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 324

This month's data reflects warm weather driving with no use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well as defrosters and almost constant use of air conditioning. Battery degradation since new is about 3% at 90% charge (241 new vs 234 now, same as last month). Summer tires (Bridgestone Pole Position S04 19" and Cyclone wheels).

Range Mode OFF entire month and on firmware 17.26.17 as of 7/7/17

• Disagree
Reactions: icanmakeit
Aug_1_2017_jerry.jpg

Reactions: techmaven
After 7 months and 5k miles in our 90s we seem stuck on 350 wh/m
We are in So Cal and almost always have the A/C on
I don't drive that aggressively, but enjoy the acceleration at times

I am guessing the biggest factor in our relatively high numbers is our usage pattern
Not much freeway driving, just mostly in town
Just about every trip means leaving our home in the foothills and dropping 1,000 to 1,400 feet into town.
Most round trips of 20-50 miles
And of course a climb to get back home

Given that, do our numbers seem reasonable?

After 7 months and 5k miles in our 90s we seem stuck on 350 wh/m
We are in So Cal and almost always have the A/C on
I don't drive that aggressively, but enjoy the acceleration at times

I am guessing the biggest factor in our relatively high numbers is our usage pattern
Not much freeway driving, just mostly in town
Just about every trip means leaving our home in the foothills and dropping 1,000 to 1,400 feet into town.
Most round trips of 20-50 miles
And of course a climb to get back home

Given that, do our numbers seem reasonable?
I am in SoCal also, LA county. Your numbers do seem a little bit high. I have a 2015 70D and I am at 296 Wh/mi after 38k miles. If I do take a trip to orange county, I am usually around 260 Wh/mi, but most of my driving is local and up and down hills also. Do you have max regen on? Also check your tire pressures, I keep mine at 45 psi cold. I hardly use my brakes at all, and let regen bring me to a stop.

Reactions: rpez021
I am in SoCal also, LA county. Your numbers do seem a little bit high. I have a 2015 70D and I am at 296 Wh/mi after 38k miles. If I do take a trip to orange county, I am usually around 260 Wh/mi, but most of my driving is local and up and down hills also. Do you have max regen on? Also check your tire pressures, I keep mine at 45 psi cold. I hardly use my brakes at all, and let regen bring me to a stop.
Thanks. Regen on max, tire pressure 45 psi, use brakes sparingly
I'll ask the SC next time

Jesus so at 183wh/m that's a therotical 410 mile range in a 75? Is that how it works? I'm new to this!
It's an 85, not a 75. But note that it's only for about 25 miles, which is not enough to give any kind of reliable estimate. The lifetime average (bottom row) is more telling. Of course, that's an average so any individual driving cycle can (and does) vary depending upon a number of factors. 280-320 is closer to reality.

Reactions: rpez021
I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.
For 22,000 miles I'm at 259 Wh/mi. I like your idea of a firmware update!

After 18 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month August
Distance = 2069
Total energy kWh = 636
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 308
Avg Temp 71.1 F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (18 Months)
Distance = 22,601 miles
Total energy kWh = 7279
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 322

This month's data reflects warm weather driving with no use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well as defrosters and almost constant use of air conditioning. Battery degradation since new is about 3% at 90% charge (241 new vs 235 now, an INCREASE of 1 rated mile over last month). Summer tires (Bridgestone Pole Position S04 19" and Cyclone wheels). Long trip to Cleveland, OH and back using the SuperCharger network. Otherwise, normal daily charge level of battery is set to 60% due to my daily use case.

Range Mode OFF entire month and on firmware 17.26.17 for most of the month and 2017.32.6 CA28227 as of 8/22/2017.

Thanks. Regen on max, tire pressure 45 psi, use brakes sparingly
I'll ask the SC next time

I wonder to what percentage you typically charge before leaving home? The 1400 ft drop should compensate for much of the climb back, but if your battery is topped up when you leave, the regen won't give you anything. If it's really just a short daily trip, I probably wouldn't charge much beyond 60%. I live on a hill also, and ran into this once when I had the battery at 95% at the beginning of a trip.

I wonder to what percentage you typically charge before leaving home? The 1400 ft drop should compensate for much of the climb back, but if your battery is topped up when you leave, the regen won't give you anything. If it's really just a short daily trip, I probably wouldn't charge much beyond 60%. I live on a hill also, and ran into this once when I had the battery at 95% at the beginning of a trip.
I usually charge 85%
I will give it a try with less, but based on times I've left home with a lesser charge it didn't seem to matter much
I would like to get Wh/m lower, but not at the expense of truly enjoying the car. Even if I'm using more energy than some it doesn't really amount to much more $$$. Given my mileage and energy cost, I doubt my relatively high Wh/ m numbers equate to more than $200 yearly, if that