Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hit my 2nd year anniversary with my Model S 70D last Saturday. After 2 years, my 70D has traveled 22,728.9 miles, using 7351.8 kWh, for an average of 323 Wh/mile according to the car's trip data.
I am retired so I have no regular commute. My travel is a mix of lots of local short trips around town, longer trips in the local area, and a few longer trips. Our longest trip was from the Boston area to Maryland and back.
The average energy use (323) is 10.6% over the rate implied by the EPA rating (240 miles, 70 kWh). I don't feel too bad about that, because energy use is considerably higher than the EPA average would imply in the winter here. It is not unusual to see 5-mile average rates of 400 Wh/mi or more when running errands in the winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
After 19 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month September
Distance in Miles = 1069
Total energy kWh = 335
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 313
Avg Temp 70.2 F (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (19 Months)
Distance in Miles = 23,655
Total energy kWh = 7614
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 322

This month's data reflects warm weather driving with no use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well as defrosters and almost constant use of air conditioning. Battery degradation since new is about 3% at 90% charge (241 new vs 235 now). Summer tires (Bridgestone Pole Position S04 19" and Cyclone wheels). Normal daily charge level of battery is set to 60% due to my daily use case.

Range Mode OFF entire month and on firmware for most of the month 2017.32.6 CA28227 then 2017.36.1B27C6D as of 9/21/2017.

Oct_1_2017_jerry.jpg

There's a huge difference in wh/mi across this thread. It might be an idea to quote whether you have 21" or 19" , AWD and facelift or not.

I personally have 21", AWD and facelift model, and drive as carefully as I dare, I cannot get below 300 wh/mi on a 'since last charge'. How you guys who are AVERAGING 289 wh/mi over 110,000 miles is beyond me. My lifetime average is 353 wh/mi and I do like to drive hard, but even when I'm being sensible it won't be under 300 wh/mi.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
287 here lifetime on a S75. I’m not considered a slow driver. I don’t Know how you guys at 300+ keep your licenses.
I think much of it has to do with climate. I bet you rarely have to run the heat or the pack heater. Both of those are significantly more crushing than AC use. Another factor is hills. While regen recovers downhill to some degree, it's lossy - somewhere around 20% losses. And of course wheels and driving contribute.

When I'm in the Sierras in the winter, I notice much higher consumption numbers than when I'm at the temperate coast.

Currently a month in, drove just north of 5k miles and averaging 304Wh/miles (190Wh/KM)

For a bit I my conscience was yelling at me for not doing better, being the hypermiler I was with my gas cars, but then I've started deprogramming myself from that era and figured hey, if at the end of the day when driving back from my customer calls and all I have to do is come back home with a decent charge left, why should I not enjoy the drive, drive faster and get home quicker, and while we're at it, run the A/C or heat for comfort.

Really not much point in saving up on energy if you have the battery to call it a day. At least not with the prices per kW we have in Quebec.

Plus, it's gonna get cold here so the Wh/mile average is gonna get blown out the door regardless.

I'll get back to good ole hypermiling when it drops below freezing I guess. I don't seem to enjoy the perspective of that much anymore somehow. :D

After 20 months of ownership here are my P90DL's numbers

Current Month October
Distance in Miles = 1035
Total energy kWh = 238
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 317
Avg Temp 61.3 (from TeslaFi)

Lifetime (20 Months)
Distance in Miles = 24,704
Total energy kWh = 7852
Avg energy / Mile in Wh/m = 321

This month's data reflects warm weather driving with no use of cabin heater, heated seats and steering wheel as well as defrosters and some use of air conditioning. Battery degradation since new is about 3% at 90% charge (241 new vs 235 now). Summer tires (Bridgestone Pole Position S04 19" and Cyclone wheels). Normal daily charge level of battery is set to 60% due to my daily use case.

Range Mode OFF entire month and on firmware for most of the month 2017.38.4 be12575 then 2017.40.1 e29b97f then 2017.42 a88c8d5.

24,000 Service Performed at 23,900~ no problems or issues.