Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pre heat is crucial. If I have to drive on a cold battery, I use range mode. IMO, there's no way the improved efficiency/regen of a heated battery can balance out the energy used to heat it.

I set the heat around 67F, that's usually enough since I'm not taking my coat off.

When I am on the highway, I set the cruise at 65; which is the limit on most roads here. Many cars pass me. I don't care and stay to the right unless I catch someone slower.

That's probably most of it.

55k+ miles, trip never reset, 333Wh/m . Close enough to par for me given a bit of a heavy foot attached to my leg.

Thanks Bill. Can you believe I've had my MS for 10 1/2 months already ??? - thanks to you. Just got all door and trunk lid windows tinted @ 35% and it REALLY makes a difference. I also use the windshield Heat Shield when parked and interior temps are WAY DOWN in the sun. My numbers are close to yours - 11,500 miles @ 327wh/m.

15000 miles driven since owned. 278 Wh/m average. For clarification, I didn't drive in the coldest weather months here in VT since my phantom range loss far exceeded my ability for my daily commuting round trip of 180 miles. Car sat idle from Dec 8 2017 thru mid march 2018 when a few warm days were upon us. Began in earnest in April again and have used the car for the commute every day in May and all of June so far. The key is to keep your foot out of it and let the cruise and AP do the work. I know the car can go fast. I don't have to prove it every time I get on the highway. I do use the quick acceleration to lose lookey loos when I feel they are looking at me and not concentrating on driving their own vehicle.

Reactions: MarkKW
I know this isn’t scientific but it DOES show a trend.

When this thread was started, the first 20 to report had a cumulative average of 374wh. That was 2013.

The LAST 20 to report in 2017 had a cumulative average of 298wh.

Either we are getting better at lying or driving OR the car’efficiency just keeps getting better! I am joking about the lying!

Regardless, I can’t wait for mine to be delivered and I am happy to find this forum of fine people!

I have a 100D which so far (3 mos) is more efficient than my prior 85D (45K miles at about 330 wH/mi). I think it is very plausible that the cars actually have become more efficient.

I have a 100D which so far (3 mos) is more efficient than my prior 85D (45K miles at about 330 wH/mi). I think it is very plausible that the cars actually have become more efficient.
The first twenty were all brand new cars. The last twenty were a mix. Efficiency increases as the car accumulates miles (not as much
as in an ICE car) and the tires wear down (there can be a big difference in rolling resistance between new tires and tires with low tread depth.)

S 75 D range mode off. 6500 miles 259 average since 12-15-17 and a unusually cold January in NE. I minimize AC or heat and usually drive around 45 mph with windows open. Now with more moderate temps can get around 200 during a trip. Not a hypermiler but had a Volt to train on and don’t tailgate. Guess I am doing pretty good without trying.

Reactions: MarkKW
The first twenty were all brand new cars. The last twenty were a mix. Efficiency increases as the car accumulates miles (not as much
as in an ICE car) and the tires wear down (there can be a big difference in rolling resistance between new tires and tires with low tread depth.)
In my case the better Wh/mi is seen on the newer car with new tires (vs the 85d with 45K miles and older tires). Granted I have only driven in spring/summer weather so far so this is not complete data at this point.

I hope it is true that they have tweaked efficiency with the motor tweaks, aero tweaks, regen tweaks, or some other Tesla software magic!

Jul_1_2018_jerry.jpg