Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I mentioned having climate control off, I remembered that EPA tests EV range with all options like that off.

@emir-t I'm surprised your average is that high with a 90D.

Now that the weather has improved, my daily average is actually below 250 wh/m. With all my rehearsals cancelled, I rarely drive on a highway any more; so speeds below 50mph and windows partway down.

2015 Model S 70D - Seattle, WA area
Purchased used from Tesla in September 2018 (39k miles). Wh/mile was zeroed upon pick up. 293Wh/mile since ownership, 18,750 miles.

303Wh/mile October 2019 - May 2020 last 6,800 miles (winter). Very short and infrequent drives March - May 2020. Covid-19.

267Wh/mile April - September 2019, 3,400 miles (summer).

Well, now coming up on 10,000 miles and kWh/mi are improving. Running in the 70-75 range is now giving me about 93% of rated range. Average kWh/ mile beginning to drop from 260. I had a 50 mile run with tailwind that gave me 258! Run back against the wind was only 280. I track this stuff to relieve boredom on trips.

2020 MS Performance, 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 11-8-20 delivery. For the first 2700 miles my rate was 343 Wh/Mi. At just under 5,100 total miles that number has dropped to 298 Wh/Mi. The drop in the average means that from the 2,700 mile mark the usage rate has been averaging on the order of 253 Wh/Mi, which is just about exactly where a recent 150 mile round trip drive came out. No real change in driving habits or style - it's either short trips in town or highway drives (highway at 75+/-, traffic permitting). I suspect update 2019.40.50.7, 1-3-2020 download, did something to improve efficiency since that is about when I started to notice the change. The lifetime average is down 13% and current usage is 26% below what it was at 2,700 miles. Curious to see how much of the improvement carries through to next winter.

2020 MS Performance, 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 11-8-20 delivery. For the first 2700 miles my rate was 343 Wh/Mi. At just under 5,100 total miles that number has dropped to 298 Wh/Mi. The drop in the average means that from the 2,700 mile mark the usage rate has been averaging on the order of 253 Wh/Mi, which is just about exactly where a recent 150 mile round trip drive came out. No real change in driving habits or style - it's either short trips in town or highway drives (highway at 75+/-, traffic permitting). I suspect update 2019.40.50.7, 1-3-2020 download, did something to improve efficiency since that is about when I started to notice the change. The lifetime average is down 13% and current usage is 26% below what it was at 2,700 miles. Curious to see how much of the improvement carries through to next winter.

mis this measurement in the summer?

Given that your delivery was in November, your early mileage was in the colder months, so it makes sense the average would be higher then. So I am surprised that you tied the drop to a January update, in the middle of winter. Very impressive average now.

Given that your delivery was in November, your early mileage was in the colder months, so it makes sense the average would be higher then. So I am surprised that you tied the drop to a January update, in the middle of winter. Very impressive average now.
I was well aware that my Wh/Mi would be higher in the winter so I wasn't surprised to see it rather high. There were also more instances of enjoying the acceleration, but honestly that hasn't gone down much. I have always tracked my cars' mileage (pretty anal about my cars) and the Tesla is no different. It became pretty obvious at some point in January that the drop in Wh/Mi was a real trend. The cold weather driving continued for several more months with no more software updates until March. I've got nothing else to tie the efficiency improvement to. Summer weather is definitely part of the increased efficiency but I really don't think it explains a 2,700 mile average of 343 and a 2,701 to 5,100 average of 253 Wh/Mi. No way will I get 253 Wh/Mi over the winter, but the trend is looking at somewhere around 285 for a full year. Actually getting the EPA rating? I'm quite satisfied.
P.S. the lifetime average dropped to 297 today. The trend continues.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Purchased 2019 used model s raven long range with 31k miles. In the 5800 miles since purchase we have averaged 248 wh/mi mostly local driving but a few longer trips. Will be interested to see how it does in a couple weeks when we drive across country. It is doing better that our 2014 S85 which was about 280 wh/mi over 75k miles.

'19 S LR Raven. Just hit 50k miles in about 54 weeks. 288wh/mile with 90% of it on the highway in New England.

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpg
    IMG_0811.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative