Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happily took delivery of our P85 March 15, 2012. We live in Hawaii and had previously installed a solar array to zero out our electric bill via a net metering agreement with the local utility (we use the grid as a battery) so we have a pretty exact account of our electrical use and production.
Since delivery we've driven 9413 miles and the car reports an average energy use of 329 wh/mile (85% of my 35.9 mile/day average commute is freeway with the cruise control set at 65 or 70 with air conditioning) which I realize it to the high side.
However, since delivery, and no other changes to our electrical system, our use at the meter for the past 9 months is increased by 21,000 Wh/day over our previous 2 years of usage. This breaks down to about 585 wh/mile measured at the meter.
In summary we are seeing a real world charging efficiency of about 56%.
This is a little bit of an issue as our electrical rates are about 32 cents a KwH (yeah we're getting raped out here) and the second solar array we installed to run the car is woefully inadequate. Unfortunately, the local utility has put the breaks on additional solar installations as so many people out here have them they are worried it will start causing grid instability.
Don't get me wrong, I am as happy as a clam with our new car and would never go back to a gas ride, but I sure wish I would have known this back when we could still have solar installed.
Perhaps others will find this data useful.

IMG_2629.JPG

I happily took delivery of our P85 March 15, 2012. We live in Hawaii and had previously installed a solar array to zero out our electric bill via a net metering agreement with the local utility (we use the grid as a battery) so we have a pretty exact account of our electrical use and production.
Since delivery we've driven 9413 miles and the car reports an average energy use of 329 wh/mile (85% of my 35.9 mile/day average commute is freeway with the cruise control set at 65 or 70 with air conditioning) which I realize it to the high side.
However, since delivery, and no other changes to our electrical system, our use at the meter for the past 9 months is increased by 21,000 Wh/day over our previous 2 years of usage. This breaks down to about 585 wh/mile measured at the meter.
This is a little bit of an issue as our electrical rates are about 32 cents a KwH (yeah we're getting raped out here) and the second solar array we installed to run the car is woefully inadequate. Unfortunately, the local utility has put the breaks on additional solar installations as so many people out here have them they are worried it will start causing grid instability.
Don't get me wrong, I am as happy as a clam with our new car and would never go back to a gas ride, but I sure wish I would have known this back when we could still have solar installed.

"Grid instability". That's sad. Guess they had too many people not paying their high prices for electricity and had to put a stop to it.

Hmm. Have you (a) gotten switched over to firmware 5.8 and (b) had your 12-volt battery replaced with the newer, "less vampiric" one (which seems to be done automatically with service)?

In the slightly longer run, you may benefit financially from going off the grid. Sure, batteries cost a lot, but compared to the "grid" alternative in Hawaii -- 32 cents per kWh *and* a prohibition on added solar -- it might be an excellent move. And of course the more people who go off the grid, the more room there is for other people to add solar panels within the electrical company's "limits", so it would be a socially valuable thing to do.

So do you guys just keep one of the trip meters untouched or is there some way to read out the lifetime usage from somewhere? Right now I still have the B trip meter as it was from the epoch, but I've already used A for something and might want in the future to use A and B, but if there is no way to read lifetime averages otherwise I'll keep the B untouched.

So do you guys just keep one of the trip meters untouched or is there some way to read out the lifetime usage from somewhere? Right now I still have the B trip meter as it was from the epoch, but I've already used A for something and might want in the future to use A and B, but if there is no way to read lifetime averages otherwise I'll keep the B untouched.
Yes, that's right. You need to keep Trip B un-reset. Mine, for example, is still from the epoch, as you said. Another option would be to record it's value or take a picture of it before you reset it. I usually record the current Trip B at significant events, such as software upgrades or tire swaps.

What's the second to last column you guys report? I guess if I wanted to report my usage I'd have to convert.

Mario Kadastik 465 235.5 Estonia 85 19 ? 13.12.13

The Wh/km and km ones are 289Wh/km for 379km. Not to have it for entry right now to understand it. The car is ordered with 21", but it's been running on 19" since I got it as it's winter time.

That's just how I have been interpreted it, but I might be wrong. May also have something to do with number of posted updates. I combed through some of the older pages and some places I seen N=15.. so guess I am not sure. But if it does not mean which Tesla, what about the multi-Tesla owners?

Yes, that's right. You need to keep Trip B un-reset. Mine, for example, is still from the epoch, as you said. Another option would be to record it's value or take a picture of it before you reset it. I usually record the current Trip B at significant events, such as software upgrades or tire swaps.

GASP- there's no web history to pull this data? Nissan's car wings web app will show you miles and efficiency on a month by month basis....