Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 21" wheels don't increase my consumption. They're square so folks with wider 21" wheels in the rear probably do see increased consumption.

There's two factors that lead to increased consumption from the larger, performance wheels. One, the increased weight leads to increased rotational mass. You can look into this on your own, but it's quite well proven that this requires additional energy to spin. Not all of that energy is recovered during regeneration thus overall consumption is higher. Second, these wheels are designed to increase airflow to the braking system for cooling purposes. The energy to cool the brakes is not free.

There's an old saying, your mileage may vary, and it's certainly true with Teslas. How you drive is the biggest factor, but certainly the weight of the wheels can not be ignored.

There's two factors that lead to increased consumption from the larger, performance wheels. One, the increased weight leads to increased rotational mass. You can look into this on your own, but it's quite well proven that this requires additional energy to spin. Not all of that energy is recovered during regeneration thus overall consumption is higher. Second, these wheels are designed to increase airflow to the braking system for cooling purposes. The energy to cool the brakes is not free.

There's an old saying, your mileage may vary, and it's certainly true with Teslas. How you drive is the biggest factor, but certainly the weight of the wheels can not be ignored.

I posted a photo showing the 19s and 21s with tires years ago on the scale. The 21's were maybe 1/2 lb more than the 19s. Like I said, there's no difference in mileage between the two sets on my car.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I got a P85 Sep 2020 with 94K miles, 19" tires, Atlanta and averaged 248 Wh/mi until the weather turned colder. Since November or so my average is 264 Wh/mi (Jan 2021 at 106K).

I will leave B as lifetime (just since Sep) and begin resetting A each month. For now, all numbers are cumulative. Incidentally, I generally drive at or BELOW the speed limit with limited HVAC. Demos are largely over with. The tremendous acceleration is not a big feature for me (previous car was a Prius).

I got a P85 Sep 2020 with 94K miles, 19" tires, Atlanta and averaged 248 Wh/mi until the weather turned colder. Since November or so my average is 264 Wh/mi (Jan 2021 at 106K).

I will leave B as lifetime (just since Sep) and begin resetting A each month. For now, all numbers are cumulative. Incidentally, I generally drive at or BELOW the speed limit with limited HVAC. Demos are largely over with. The tremendous acceleration is not a big feature for me (previous car was a Prius).

Wow, that seems incredibly good for a Performance model!

I posted a photo showing the 19s and 21s with tires years ago on the scale. The 21's were maybe 1/2 lb more than the 19s. Like I said, there's no difference in mileage between the two sets on my car.

This is interesting, considering 19” OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires weigh 26 lbs versus the 21” staggered OEM Contis that are 28 lbs up front and 31 lbs in the rear. For the overall weight to be only half a pound difference means the larger 21” wheels will have to be considerably lighter material...and still somehow account for staggered vs squared.

I just know my Wh/m immediately dropped 12.5% after downgrading from 21” to 19” stock wheels. Went from 302 Wh/m to 264Wh/m the moment I switched tires, same commute, same weather conditions, same driving behavior. The 21s obviously look better but I’m sticking with the 19s for range and lower tire costs.

Last edited:
This is interesting, considering 19” OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring tires weigh 26 lbs versus the 21” staggered OEM Contis that are 28 lbs up front and 31 lbs in the rear. For the overall weight to be only half a pound difference means the larger 21” wheels will have to be considerably lighter material...and still somehow account for staggered vs squared.

I just know my Wh/m immediately dropped 12.5% after downgrading from 21” to 19” stock wheels. Went from 302 Wh/m to 264Wh/m the moment I switched tires, same commute, same weather conditions, same driving behavior. The 21s obviously look better but I’m sticking with the 19s for range and lower tire costs.

I have the ExtremeContact DW's which are 26lbs for that size.

I am very impressed with all the consumption I read on here... With my 2019 Oct Raven Performance Model S I have a 378 lifetime average. Mixture of motorway (75mph) and short local trips. I don't drive without aircon or heated seats etc because what is the point. That makes my full range 264 miles, quite a lot short of the claimed 347.

I am thinking about changing it for a Taycan Turbo because the the build quality / reliability of the S is so bad, but if the Taycan has the same relationship between claimed range and actual range as my Tesla then the Taycan's 260-odd claimed quickly becomes under 200, which is not really enough.

But I still get free fuel from Tesla so cannot complain really, it just means more stopping.

IMG_0478.jpeg

@2madcal you might want to see if Tesla can do an over the air check on your car. My car matches yours - October 2019 build, Performance. I have 19" wheels versus maybe 21's on yours? Our driving habits seem identical. Either on the highway averaging 75 mph or in town running errands. No rush hour stop and go driving. Heat and A/C always used when appropriate. My November 2020 one year average was 287 Wh/m and I'm not all that hesitant to enjoy the torque. This winter has involved zero longer trips and despite the short trip and cold weather penalty on efficiency the average has only risen to 289 Wh/m. Your numbers seem really high for what you describe as pretty sane driving.

• Informative
Reactions: madcal
...so you conclude that Tesla is better anyway.

We knew that!
It's better only because the fuel is free. Against an advertised 350 miles range I get an average of 260. About the same as a Porsche Taycan (which is much better built). If I didn't have free fuel I would have sold the car 6 months ago, honestly. Won't ever buy another.

Unlike my petrol cars which sit idle for days without leaking, my model S drips 2 to 3 kWh of electricity all over my driveway each day. Even without sentry on. I suppose I could do many investigations on phantom battery drain but I don't have the time and frankly I don't see why I should have to, I didn't have to diagnose fuel leaks on my RS6 prior to the Tesla.

I don't check on here too often so just saw the suggestion to check in with Tesla again, having experienced their "service" centres 6 times in the first 6 months of ownership I would not have too much hope that they would be able to resolve anything but I may give them a call thank you!

Sorry to not be singing from the Tesla hymsheet, mine is just rubbish (aircon issues, new rear motor, new front driveshafts, bad fitting trims, creases on drivers seat). As soon as we have some more chargers around for non-Teslas it will go, the supercharger network is the only Tesla positive I can think of (oh, and my free fuel, thanks Elon).

Well 6 service centre visits and off the road each time in the first 6 months would be hard to beat. Just go sit in a Taycan, then slam the door shut. It feels like granite. Every time I do that in my model S I fear something will fall off. Tesla isn't a plucky upstart that we all have to support no-matter-what anymore, those days ended 3+ years ago. They want to crow about being the most valuable car company in the world? Start making decent quality cars.

Have bought maybe 15 new cars in the last 10 years for me, my wife and my kids. VW, Audi, Range Rover, Porsche, Aston Martin and of course 1 Tesla. The Tesla has been the least reliable and actually the only one which has left me stuck on the side of the road. It also has the hardest to access and worst service, a bad combination.

Anyhow, sorry again to not be a fan, I really really wanted to love Tesla and my car. Now all I want to do is sell it and it's only the miser in me that keeps my sensible head on and reminds me about the free fuel that stops me. But one more roadside recovery and it is gone. A car isn't a car if it doesn't work.

My name is Hayseed and I drive an ICE vehicle... This EV driving is new to me and we have a refresh S and X on order. We are planning a 3500 mile roundtrip trip as soon as we receive or S.

It will be a long range with the 21" wheels (switching to a touring or A/S tire as soon as I get the vehicle). For planning purposes, what wh/m c should we use? It will be mostly 70-75 highway driving.

My name is Hayseed and I drive an ICE vehicle... This EV driving is new to me and we have a refresh S and X on order. We are planning a 3500 mile roundtrip trip as soon as we receive or S.

It will be a long range with the 21" wheels (switching to a touring or A/S tire as soon as I get the vehicle). For planning purposes, what wh/m c should we use? It will be mostly 70-75 highway driving.

This is a good site for calculating range. EV Trip Planner

The calculator has parameters for the car and the car version as well as weather expected.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS