Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MSLR with Arachnids and took delivered in July. I have about 2.5k miles on the car and the app is telling me that I only have 350 miles on full charge. That is 25 miles/~7% of degradation compared the EPA rated 375 miles.

That amount of degradation seems steep to me, especially given the low mileage on the car. I haven't used a supercharger yet. I only charge to 85%. I usually plug in every couple of days, usually with a battery of around 50%-60%. I'm not really sure when the drop happened as I keep the display on percentage. But the range estimate has stayed here and not dropped since I started noticing it which is for about the past 3 weeks or so.

Is this normal? From what I've read on this forum, I was expecting a drop over time, but nowhere near a drop this big this soon.

Same config as you, mine also has about 2,500 miles and I'm down to 355-360 and I feel the same as you. Wasn't expecting this much drop in such a short time either.

Reactions: droopaloop
That looks more like numbers for a M3....Ive had single trips around 250, but I was really trying to get the lowest I could....my avg is around 310-320.
I was averaging 330+ Wh/m until some time in early 2020. I can't prove it but I swear a software update changed something. My efficiency took a sudden turn for the better. Performance was unchanged (according to Dragy). I do make an effort to be efficient but traffic is traffic and there is only so much you can control. Now if Tesla could just eliminate the vampire drain my Wh/M would be truly accurate.

Reactions: Mark2018s
Same config as you, mine also has about 2,500 miles and I'm down to 355-360 and I feel the same as you. Wasn't expecting this much drop in such a short time either.
I took a trip last week and for the first time pushed the range and supercharged. Now I'm seeing about what you are seeing, 100% range showing 356 to 358 with some day to day fluctuation.

Loaded down with a packed trunk, 2 Adults, and 2 Kids, I averaged 350 to 360 Wh/Mile driving between 75 and 80mph. The lifetime average for the car is still in the mid 310s.

I took a trip last week and for the first time pushed the range and supercharged. Now I'm seeing about what you are seeing, 100% range showing 356 to 358 with some day to day fluctuation.

Loaded down with a packed trunk, 2 Adults, and 2 Kids, I averaged 350 to 360 Wh/Mile driving between 75 and 80mph. The lifetime average for the car is still in the mid 310s.

Do you mostly drive on highways?
My lifetime is 278wh/mi, highways going 78-84 mph it seems to get around 300-310 wh/mi with wife and luggage for trips (no kids).

I mostly drive very non aggressively and in the city I often get 215-240 wh/mi going 45 mph. Weather here is perfect so rarely use ac or heat. It also just seems to workout that I never an 1st person at the light in this car. If I drive the wrangler I'd always have the greenlight to floor it.

I will be curious to see how efficiency drops in June here when I'm maxing AC and have the ventilated seats on

Reactions: Jabbahop
Do you mostly drive on highways?
My lifetime is 278wh/mi, highways going 78-84 mph it seems to get around 300-310 wh/mi with wife and luggage for trips (no kids).

I mostly drive very non aggressively and in the city I often get 215-240 wh/mi going 45 mph. Weather here is perfect so rarely use ac or heat. It also just seems to workout that I never an 1st person at the light in this car. If I drive the wrangler I'd always have the greenlight to floor it.

I will be curious to see how efficiency drops in June here when I'm maxing AC and have the ventilated seats on

I mostly drive in the city. I don't recall ever seeing an efficiency in the low to mid 200s regardless of speed. Which wheels do you have?

I took another trip with the family this week, almost 500 miles each way and averaged around 330 Wh/mi according to the car, and 352 Wh/mi gross according to TeslaMate. This is mostly interstate travel going about 80mph. I did have better weather (warmer, no rain) vs the previous trip. Again, with the entire family, Christmas presents, and multiple devices charging via USB and wireless almost the entire trip.

Range aside, this is a pretty comfy car to roadtrip in.

1640532428279.png

I live in Wisconsin. . a cold weather state. I have a 2019 MS LR (non-performance). . .and have put on ~30K miles in exactly 2 years since I bought the car new in Dec. 2019.
My lifetime average is 273 Wh/mi. Screenshot below.
I make a lot of trips around in the midwest; I'd estimate 70% of miles during warmer months and 30% during cold (sub-freezing) weather. Yesterday I drove 400 miles in 10F weather avg.. . .got about 350Wh/mi (heater at 68F), 70mph TACC all the way, light winds.
Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.32.17 AM.png

On a related topic, I'd like to get your take on this observation:

There are 3 ways I can get the kW-hr consumption after, say, 30 miles of continuous driving in my car, fresh after charging. (Starting after charging resets some energy consumption values to zero; hence the suggestion.) I find that these 3 numbers sometimes are quite different (at other times closer.)

(1) the 100 kW-hr battery level drops from start to an end value (translating to a kW-hr value)
(2) the "dynamic" energy consumption dial on the panel tells me exactly how many kW-hr was consumed during the past 30 miles
(3) the trip meter also could be read for the energy consumed at the end of 30th mile.

I typically find that the above three values are in decreasing order. Leading me to assume that the trip meter looks only at the power delivered to the motors, whereas the other two include other overheads in different ways. Is it?

I am just curious, nothing more.

I mostly drive in the city. I don't recall ever seeing an efficiency in the low to mid 200s regardless of speed. Which wheels do you have?

I took another trip with the family this week, almost 500 miles each way and averaged around 330 Wh/mi according to the car, and 352 Wh/mi gross according to TeslaMate. This is mostly interstate travel going about 80mph. I did have better weather (warmer, no rain) vs the previous trip. Again, with the entire family, Christmas presents, and multiple devices charging via USB and wireless almost the entire trip.

Range aside, this is a pretty comfy car to roadtrip in.

View attachment 748484

Refreshed LR 19 inch. My lifetime avg has gone down to 274. 90% of driving is city and under 50 mph, near ideal conditions.

Attachments

• 20220112_074142.jpg
    20220112_074142.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Reactions: droopaloop
Sounds like Tesla was a bit off in their 300 Wh/mile estimate:

Model S Facts | Tesla Motors

And presumably that average was supposed to account for charging inefficiencies.

- - - Updated - - -

And their calculator says it only uses 280 Wh per mile!

Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors
In the conditions expected to get 300 wh/m ( 60 miles per hour That EPA uses) No problem getting 300 Wh/m . 2019 rave mx, but At highway speed’s 70 average Between New Orleans and Chicago about 325 wh/m

I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.
Life time 65000 miles is 365 Wh/m but made 5k miles pulling 45000 lb airstream 600 wh/m . I also pull a 3000 pound baby boat 500 wh/m. Most of my long trips 500+ miles without trailer I get about 325 running speed limits of 70. I can usually keep it down to around 300 wh/m if I keep my speed under 65 Miles per hour.

Interesting. My S is usually about 285 -290 watts/ mile at 70. I’ve run 295 on 800 mile trips in 98 degree weather. That’s averaging 75. I don’t understand the big differences between cars. Only time I was up around your figures was a trip with a 30 mph headwind.
I've noticed large differences between different people and cars over the years. There was a story long ago where somebody reported hearing a whining noise and their mileage plummeted. It turned out there was pebble in the brake rotor. From that, I concluded that small differences in the mechanics of the car, like a stiff bearing somewhere, could produce large end results.
Then more recently with the FSD trials, people reported that their consumption dropped a lot when trying to get a good score. From that, I concluded that some people drive like maniacs.

• Funny
Reactions: dark cloud
Interesting. My S is usually about 285 -290 watts/ mile at 70. I’ve run 295 on 800 mile trips in 98 degree weather. That’s averaging 75. I don’t understand the big differences between cars. Only time I was up around your figures was a trip with a 30 mph headwind.
The model X is just not as efficient as the model S. About 15% difference 2022 refreshed models. Throughout the years both cars have gotten changes, Permanent magnet front motor,battery chemistry change, and other efficiency improvements. If I compare my model X 2019 early raven two a 2022 refreshed model S the model S should be about 20% more efficient. There is even reason to believe that the new batteries are smaller yet still put out better range Since they have better energy density.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've noticed large differences between different people and cars over the years. There was a story long ago where somebody reported hearing a whining noise and their mileage plummeted. It turned out there was pebble in the brake rotor. From that, I concluded that small differences in the mechanics of the car, like a stiff bearing somewhere, could produce large end results.
Then more recently with the FSD trials, people reported that their consumption dropped a lot when trying to get a good score. From that, I concluded that some people drive like maniacs.
If we floorboarded our ice cars all the time our mileage will drop drastically and probably have to make a lot more repairs And maintenance. But that acceleration is so addictive!

The model X is just not as efficient as the model S. About 15% difference 2022 refreshed models. Throughout the years both cars have gotten changes, Permanent magnet front motor,battery chemistry change, and other efficiency improvements. If I compare my model X 2019 early raven two a 2022 refreshed model S the model S should be about 20% more efficient. There is even reason to believe that the new batteries are smaller yet still put out better range Since they have better energy density.

I assume you mean smaller batter packs. I don't think Tesla has changed the physical size of the cells in quite some time. As far as I know the S/X still use 18650s and the 3/Y 2170s.

Reactions: FlatSix911