Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 S75 that just turned over 80,000miles. Trip B is just a couple miles behind the odo, and shows an average consumption of 320 Wh/mi.
In the first year of ownership, I rented the car out on Turo a lot to help pay for itself. Renters tended to floor it a lot. I'm not exactly a casual driver, either. So, all in I guess I'm doing OK.
Just drove round trip from San Jose to Irvine, CA this past weekend, and averaged around 331Wh/mi for the whole round trip. I guess the reason why it was higher than lifetime average is because is because I was generally cruising I-5 at around 80mph, whereas the lifetime average is mostly driving around town at lower speeds.

Same config as you, mine also has about 2,500 miles and I'm down to 355-360 and I feel the same as you. Wasn't expecting this much drop in such a short time either.
your range drop is probably due to battery imbalance since you are constantly recharging within a small range 50-85%. I'm confident that you don't have battery degradation. I would follow a regimen that was recommended to me by Tesla service center. Do this every other month and let the battery drain down to 20% and sit idle for a couple of hours after going to 20% or under and then charge to 100%(Don't stop at 100% and let it keep charging until it stops). You should see the range go up when topping off. If not, rinse and repeat a 2nd time. This should rebalance the BMS and show the true range.

I have arachnids too on a 2022 LR Model S. my 100% number is 375 after 2K miles and I follow this regimen on my current and former tesla cars.

I must need more lead in my right shoe. For 24,000 miles 2018 Model 3 LR AWD is staying at 222 wh/mi. I think the dry warm weather in the Phoenix area must help. Also no stop and going traffic on my normal drives.
Those numbers certainly factor into the equation IMHO. With over 150,000 miles on my 2016 90D it has a lifetime average of 287Wh/mi. Over half the miles were in the north with hot and freezing temperatures; the rest were a combo of the south and mountains and flat land but relatively mild to warm temps. In all the driving I always thought that 75mph at 75F was the sweet spot for efficiency. It still seems that way to me. But I don't baby the car either. No jackrabbit starts: none needed when even a small pressure on the accelerator leaves everyone else in the dust.

The M3 uses less than a MS...I rented a M3 in Florida a few months ago and in normal driving over 500 mi the avg was around 270. I can get to 270 with my MS, but I really have to drive like grandma. Normal driving its around 315-325 depending on the season.
a lot less, about 20% less than MS .... my 2022 MS long range is around 283 average. My 2019 M3 was around 241 average with same type of driving.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
a lot less, about 20% less than MS .... my 2022 MS long range is around 283 average. My 2019 M3 was around 241 average with same type of driving.
What size wheels on your S LR? My previous 2019 Standard Range S routinely exceeded EPA estimates around town and averaged 258 Wh/m after 20K miles (19” slipstreams). In perfect conditions I could get sub-200 Wh/m on my daily 25-mile roundtrip work commute. With the original 21s I was averaging 300 Wh/m.

Our current 2021 Y is averaging 252 Wh/m after 15K miles.

2022 Model S born February 2022. 1041 miles. Chill mode in town and Insane mode on highway. Lifetime average 246 Wh/mi. That 252 Wh/mi average in the picture might be due to some showing off. Max range at 100% charge calculates to 405 miles. That's calculated from display showing 361 mile range at 89% charge.
20220502_173148.jpg

Reactions: FatherTo1
What size wheels on your S LR? My previous 2019 Standard Range S routinely exceeded EPA estimates around town and averaged 258 Wh/m after 20K miles (19” slipstreams). In perfect conditions I could get sub-200 Wh/m on my daily 25-mile roundtrip work commute. With the original 21s I was averaging 300 Wh/m.

Our current 2021 Y is averaging 252 Wh/m after 15K miles.
21 inch Arachnids…

2022 Model S born February 2022. 1041 miles. Chill mode in town and Insane mode on highway. Lifetime average 246 Wh/mi. That 252 Wh/mi average in the picture might be due to some showing off. Max range at 100% charge calculates to 405 miles. That's calculated from display showing 361 mile range at 89% charge.

I'm guess you are on 19" wheels? I have a Jan 22 built Model S LR with 19" tempest aero wheels but they gave me the Pirelli summer tires (really wanted the all seasons). Just curious if you are on Pirelli summer or the Continental All Season tires. Also for my car I'm at 7500 miles and ~280 wh/mile lifetime so much higher than you.

I'm guess you are on 19" wheels? I have a Jan 22 built Model S LR with 19" tempest aero wheels but they gave me the Pirelli summer tires (really wanted the all seasons). Just curious if you are on Pirelli summer or the Continental All Season tires. Also for my car I'm at 7500 miles and ~280 wh/mile lifetime so much higher than you.
Yes, 19" on Pirelli summer tires in southern California. I discovered since this post that the Wh/m goes up on the highway as compared to in town. Maybe because regenerative braking helps lower that number in the city.

• Informative
Reactions: Zarwin
Nov 2021 LR with 19” tires. Just finished a 2600 mile cross country drive driving between 70-80mph. Trip average 282 wh/mi bumping up our lifetime to 252wh/mi fro 239.

We drive mostly in town (probably 2/3 of our 9K miles), drive conservatively. We have always been at the top of the Stats app distribution of efficiency with our 2 prior Model S so I think something about of driving habits (almost never use the brake, little quick accelerations or decelerations, not much high speed highway driving) and locations (Vermont in Summer and Southern Utah in winter - so moderate temps all year) contributes to our good efficiency.

0EEE7BF0-3B7D-41E0-B658-B5D8DCCF02C3.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Nov 2021 LR with 19” tires. Just finished a 2600 mile cross country drive driving between 70-80mph. Trip average 282 wh/mi bumping up our lifetime to 252wh/mi fro 239.

We drive mostly in town (probably 2/3 of our 9K miles), drive conservatively. We have always been at the top of the Stats app distribution of efficiency with our 2 prior Model S so I think something about of driving habits (almost never use the brake, little quick accelerations or decelerations, not much high speed highway driving) and locations (Vermont in Summer and Southern Utah in winter - so moderate temps all year) contributes to our good efficiency.

View attachment 813249
That's commendable, great job! I'm just curious what the motivation is to squeeze every bit of efficiency and drive the car like a Nissan Leaf. after all, the Model S is one of the most capable performance cars out there even if not Plaid. I personally enjoy my car's performance.