Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure, but a tesla tech had to come to my house and replace a tire in my driveway. All my tires were at 35 lbs cold. He changed to 40 lbs, ever since kwh has been much better. They go to 43 or 44 lbs after driving for a bit as they warm up.
35 psi is under-inflated. The plate on my S85 says 42 psi. The newer cars are heavier, and might specify higher.

Achieving 240 Wh/mi type numbers is much more readily accomplished with sparse use of HVAC. Maybe it is just because the traction drivetrain so efficient but these cars are FAR more affected by the use of heat and air conditioning then gasoline powered cars, especially heat of course (which is a combustion waste product on ICE engined vehicles.) I keep mine mostly off and average 260 or lower on a 2016 MX. I also use range mode which mostly uses the more efficient front induction motor, essentially making it a front drive car.

Industry knowledge of this issue is why most EVs, even the lowly Leaf, have seat heaters as standard equipment. I believe that this effect even exceeds that of the larger size wheels - which also cost you range.

Achieving 240 Wh/mi type numbers is much more readily accomplished with sparse use of HVAC. Maybe it is just because the traction drivetrain so efficient but these cars are FAR more affected by the use of heat and air conditioning then gasoline powered cars, especially heat of course (which is a combustion waste product on ICE engined vehicles.) I keep mine mostly off and average 260 or lower on a 2016 MX. I also use range mode which mostly uses the more efficient front induction motor, essentially making it a front drive car.

Industry knowledge of this issue is why most EVs, even the lowly Leaf, have seat heaters as standard equipment. I believe that this effect even exceeds that of the larger size wheels - which also cost you range.

I've found heating heavily affects the Wh/Mi, but light use of AC usually doesn't have much effect. On really hot days when the AC has to run full blast, that zaps the battery fast, but the sort of light AC usually needed around here isn't that bad.

I don't use range mode, but my Wh/Mi last summer was around 260 Wh/Mi with my MS. Doing that with an MX is impressive!

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec

Tesla is using heat pumps in the newer models. It's my understanding that heat pumps vs the older cars with resistive heating elements is a big factor in improving efficiency.

I've seen 350 wh/mi on my 2017 P100D in the 22,000 miles I've had it for. I usually get a bit less on road trips... something like 315, so likely lots of inefficient stop / starts around town. I had the 21" staggered set until recently though, so hoping for a material reduction there.

Latest

Attachments

• CA9687F2-2792-42F6-ABC7-63DB503050DB.jpeg
    CA9687F2-2792-42F6-ABC7-63DB503050DB.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 186