Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
359 over nearly 29,000 miles in the UK.

Not sure why I am so bad at this... Means a max range of 278 miles vs the advertised 341 at new, 18% worse.

21 inch Arachnid wheels I suppose don't help. Most of the time it is motorway at 77 mph which again is a bit naughty.

View attachment 869076
Yup speed and wheel size. My 2022 doesn't have the option to show mileage on instrument panel, I wish it did.

359 over nearly 29,000 miles in the UK.

Not sure why I am so bad at this... Means a max range of 278 miles vs the advertised 341 at new, 18% worse.

21 inch Arachnid wheels I suppose don't help. Most of the time it is motorway at 77 mph which again is a bit naughty.

View attachment 869076
77mph average is pretty high. Drag is cubic not linear. So twice the speed is 4x the drag. You could probably save 25% if you did 65 instead of 77. Not an exact number but a general idea.

30k miles with 19" wheels and Michelin Xice 3 tires: 299 wh/m
30k miles with 21" turbine and Conti extreme contact: 329 wh/m
Recently i installed Vredestein all seasons on the 21s and have done 5k miles with them so far. Was happy to find that they have the same or maybe slightly better efficiency as the Contis

The above numbers are with 70-75mph highway driving for a large portion of it. In-city trips are often in the 240-280 range on the 19s and 250-290 on the 21s.

Edit to add: with 21" wheels I can easily see 360+ wh/m average when going >75-77. 70mph is a real inflection point for me.

30k miles with 19" wheels and Michelin Xice 3 tires: 299 wh/m
30k miles with 21" turbine and Conti extreme contact: 329 wh/m
Recently i installed Vredestein all seasons on the 21s and have done 5k miles with them so far. Was happy to find that they have the same or maybe slightly better efficiency as the Contis

The above numbers are with 70-75mph highway driving for a large portion of it. In-city trips are often in the 240-280 range on the 19s and 250-290 on the 21s.

Edit to add: with 21" wheels I can easily see 360+ wh/m average when going >75-77. 70mph is a real inflection point for me.
Which 19s are you using?

Yup speed and wheel size. My 2022 doesn't have the option to show mileage on instrument panel, I wish it did.
I usually have it on % since the range number is so made up!

With the relative proliferation of Superchargers in Southern England I usually just aim to charge at around 5-10% to minimise stops. Running 10%-70% charge seems to minimise my waiting time.

Reactions: zoomer0056
They look better than the turbines in my opinion. That's interesting to see the efficiency increased by that much with a similar design but a different size. I have a set of TheNewAero Razors in 19 on the way so very excited to see how they perform.
Yeah I think the key is the weight difference, But also the tires which were high efficiency compared to the continentals. Overall it looked like a typical 10% difference for me a couple of years ago. After more miles on these Vredesteins, I'm seeing 325wh/m at 70mph. I'm surprised to see them performing better than the stock tires that came with the car.

Yeah I think the key is the weight difference, But also the tires which were high efficiency compared to the continentals. Overall it looked like a typical 10% difference for me a couple of years ago. After more miles on these Vredesteins, I'm seeing 325wh/m at 70mph. I'm surprised to see them performing better than the stock tires that came with the car.
Yes, I have been very impressed with the Vredestiens. 21k mile average for them have been 315 for me on the 21s. On warm days averaging 60mph they will do 250-260 if I don't need heat or AC.

Not too aggressively. My 2016 MS has a lifetime average(155,000miles) of 287 Wh/mi and it is far more efficient than the MX loaner we once drove( and, by extension, yours); in fact about 2x more efficient.
Not sure I agree with your assumptions here. An MX is bigger, heavier, and less aerodynamic than an MS, so the "by extension" doesn't work. This person's MSP is a 2020, which includes many weight reducing, structural, and electrical enhancements over your 2016, not to mention more efficient motors. Granted this person's car is a performance model, so loses some there, but the battery is the same size in kWh since the 100 was introduced (it's a different battery now, but same capacity) and yet the standard long-range MS is a 400+ mile car now, whereas a 2017 100d was at best 330-ish IIRC. They did that without adding any capacity to the battery. New Models S are way more efficient than a 2016.

77mph average is pretty high. Drag is cubic not linear. So twice the speed is 4x the drag. You could probably save 25% if you did 65 instead of 77. Not an exact number but a general idea.
2 cubed is 8, just saying.
Power = Force*Velocity
Aero Drag Force = constants*Velocity^2
So Power increases with the cube of velocity at a minimum (which you said correctly).
However there are other forces working against the motor: power losses, wheel friction & drag on pavement, mechanical losses in the drive train & suspension, etc. I've not done the math myself, but have read that the resulting sum of velocity-dependent drag forces works out to about or almost a velocity-to-the-fourth power relationship.

2 cubed is 8, just saying.
Power = Force*Velocity
Aero Drag Force = constants*Velocity^2
So Power increases with the cube of velocity at a minimum (which you said correctly).
However there are other forces working against the motor: power losses, wheel friction & drag on pavement, mechanical losses in the drive train & suspension, etc. I've not done the math myself, but have read that the resulting sum of velocity-dependent drag forces works out to about or almost a velocity-to-the-fourth power relationship.
Way above my head my friend.

All I know is most of the forces acting on a car like rolling resistance increases linearly with speed and the predominant force that increases at a nonlinear rate is aero drag. There will be some nonlinear force increase in the gearbox from the gears dragging through the fluid but that should be a relatively small amount in comparison to aero.

Reactions: aerodyne
Two year mark. Efficiency improved substantially over the second year/10,000 miles. Several 2,000 mile trips going along with traffic, usually in the 70 to 75 mph range. Pretty sane driving habits, but not shy about enjoying the torque.View attachment 732154
3 yr avg.jpg

At the 3 year mark. Efficiency continues to improve with no real change in driving habits. 40% around town at whatever speeds traffic is flowing. Highway usually between 70 and 75 mph. Zero problems, great highway cruiser, tons of interior space, still as quick as ever, and really rather efficient. Hard not to like this car.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The energy app is now suggesting me to take the MS out of Plaid and put into chill to save energy. Would this help because only the rear 2 motors are on in chill, or because I wouldn't be able to accelerate as fast? Or both?
Btw, being a beta tester, I just got energy graph 3 days ago, since beta versions are months behind the main branches.

Yes, I have been very impressed with the Vredestiens. 21k mile average for them have been 315 for me on the 21s. On warm days averaging 60mph they will do 250-260 if I don't need heat or AC.
Wow 250? On 21" wheels this would be nearly impossible for me at highway speed (not in town, which is easy because it's slower). I suppose I should try it - check 60mph on flat ground. I've got a 100 mile trip coming up that I usually do at 70 that I could try at lower speed.

yea,
Wow 250? On 21" wheels this would be nearly impossible for me at highway speed (not in town, which is easy because it's slower). I suppose I should try it - check 60mph on flat ground. I've got a 100 mile trip coming up that I usually do at 70 that I could try at lower speed.
Yea, this was a recent trip. Temps in the high 50s so hvac was left on auto at 72. Average around 55mph but some stop and go traffic which slowed me down but 65 to 70mph when not in traffic. My car does not do as well in stop and go traffic. I have standard regen on but I struggle to get below 280w/mi in stop and go. I think the Vredestiens do better freewheeling down the highway then around town.

Attachments

• image-1 (17).jpg
    image-1 (17).jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Informative
Reactions: raphy3