Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased a 2020 MS LR with 20k miles on it. I’m lucky in this cold weather to get 350Wh/m, and a lot of short trips or fast highway miles up in the mid 400’s. My last 2018 MS 75D was the same if not worse.
I would have to drive in chill mode like a grandma to get near what many of you have listed.

Attachments

• A361691D-7B45-4C81-B8F9-E6F5664EBDDF.jpeg
    A361691D-7B45-4C81-B8F9-E6F5664EBDDF.jpeg
    299 KB · Views: 175
I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.
233 WH/mi after 9,990 miles

1672284479695.jpeg
253 wh/mi 13.6k miles, with the last 4.6k miles at 229 wh/mi. The first thousand miles or so was at ~ 300 wh/mi - but that was before I started to nerd out on the efficiency #s.

The last road trip I took to Houston (552 miles) I averaged about 228 wh/mi for the round trip. The key is to drive slow... like 60 to 65 mph on highway, sparse usage of AC, and cooperating weather (no rain, not too hot or too cold). Every time I passes a car on the highway I like to remind my wife that I am not the slowest driver out there - to which she just rolls her eyes and tells me: you are definitely the slowest Tesla driver out there! :)

Those are really low numbers but it seems strange to have a car with over 500HP but then drive it like it’s a Prius.
670 horsepower is awesome! This Feb 2022 MSLR is the best car I've ever owned. My wife has a lead foot all the time, she has her own car. Yeah I don't race my car and I don't rocket launch from each green light or stop sign or drive 155mph on the highway. But that awesome power is there when I want it. Let me know when you're around and I'll get out of your way.

Last edited:
670 horsepower is awesome! This Feb 2022 MSLR is the best car I've ever owned. My wife has a lead foot all the time, she has her own car. Yeah I don't race my car and I don't rocket launch from each green light or stop sign or drive 155mph on the highway. But that awesome power is there when I want it. Let me know when you're around and I'll get out of your way.
Lol. I’m not saying I always drive super aggressive but driving slow most of the time to see how low you can get the Wh/m is boring.

Lol. I’m not saying I always drive super aggressive but driving slow most of the time to see how low you can get the Wh/m is boring.
Driving aggressive most of the time is exciting. No Wh/mi or tires spared 😜. What is your lifetime Wh/mi, Plaid or LR?

EDIT: I just saw your post: 350Wh/mi to 450Wh/mi in 20,000 miles on a 2020 MSLR.

Last edited:
Driving aggressive most of the time is exciting. No Wh/mi or tires spared 😜. What is your lifetime Wh/mi, Plaid or LR?

EDIT: I just saw your post: 350Wh/mi to 450Wh/mi in 20,000 miles on a 2020 MSLR.
I just purchased that vehicle used a month ago with 20K mil on it. I test drove quite a few vehicles and every car I checked was in the mid to high 300’s or low 400’s.
I would like to see what the lifetime Wh/m is on this vehicle, but not sure how to get that number.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I just purchased that vehicle used a month ago with 20K mil on it. I test drove quite a few vehicles and every car I checked was in the mid to high 300’s or low 400’s.
I would like to see what the lifetime Wh/m is on this vehicle, but not sure how to get that number.
That's a good question. I just posted that question in a thread, maybe someone at TMC knows how. Can Lifetime Numbers Be Found After Lifetime Trip Reset

That's a good question. I just posted that question in a thread, maybe someone at TMC knows how. Can Lifetime Numbers Be Found After Lifetime Trip Reset
W/ the latest update, you can also check the amount of kwh charged for the year. So if your car is less than 1 year old, you can "retrieve" the effective life time charged kwh #, and work out the per mile stat.

There are a few caveats, I suspect it applies to SMT/Can Bus readers as well: this total kwh includes replenishment for vampire drain, sentry drain, cabin overheat protection drain, etc. Essentially all types of drain (while the car is in motion, while the car is in park) will be included in the number, while the trip version of the # is basically wh/mi for "while in non-park mode only".

To be even more technical, one should also take into consideration of the SoC while the car is delivered (which I don't recall any more, possibly 60%?) Also, I don't believe vampire drain while car is connected to the charger is included in this total kwh # - I've left my car in a charger for a week before and the session charged # never went up after it reached the preset % - surely there's vampire drain, however little, after day 1. Oh, and, even this total kwh is only the output from the home charger (assume you are 100% home charged) - there's efficiency lost from the charger itself as well (8-12%). So to be 100% accurate on the electricity used, one should attach a separate meter to input side of the Tesla home charger.

Caveats aside, this total calculated wh/mi # is still a more accurate portrait of the mpg equivalent of an ICE car: ICE car drain while in park is minimal so we tend to ignore it, but EV drain while in park can be significant (since the car is never really off) so at a minimum, one should take the trip version of the LifeTime wh/mi # w/ a grain of salt, when comparing to the mpg efficiency # of a gas car.

Alrighty, just got my new wheels and tires on the other day.

Went from Vredestein QuatracPros on the original 21” Turbines to Pirelli P Zero Allseason Plus Elects on TheNewAero Razors in 19”.

Initial impressions are the P0’s are probably more efficient. I can’t tell for sure until I get back to my normal routine since I am currently on a roadtrip with my wife and her cousin. The car is loaded up with an extra 250lbs of women and 50lbs of luggage which I suspect is increasing energy usage. On the highway in mid 30 weather they were hovering around 330wh/m at 65mph which is pretty good.

Once I get back home and start comparing my daily commute I can get a better read on their efficiency but I was always impressed with the Quatrac’s and their efficiency.

Other members have reported that the P0 AS+ Elects are on par with the MCM4’s

Update on the 19” TNA Razors and Pirelli P Zero AS+ Elect.

Have a little over a thousand miles on them now and still drive the same (AP set at 65mph on highway, sometimes 70). Still flooring it here and there but this set up appears to be abouy 11-12% more efficient then the Vredesteins on the 21” Turbines.

Got about 309wh/m for the 5500 miles after I upgraded to MCU2 and have averaged 277wh/mi last 1080 miles.

Here is a screen shot of a trip from NC to VA which shows decent efficiency even in mild mountains. Average 64-65 mph. Used 84% to travel 224 miles. Extrapolating it out if I ran it past zero I could have hit 270miles from 100% and that was with 300lbs of extra passengers and luggage.

33B0B262-AC70-4FA2-AA08-59B2F6D20135.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.
Get the Tessie app.