TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lifetime Supercharging Extended for orders through January 15

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by InsaneDriver, Jan 1, 2017.

1. InsaneDriver

InsaneDriver Member

Not really surprised. Must not have gotten the number of orders they expected.

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Probably more because they haven't released the details of the new non-unlimited Supercharging program yet.

3. FURY

FURY Member

That also implies that the build pace allows a 2.5 month window to delivery...worldwide...or they are waiving the April1, 2017 delivery requirement, for the free, Supah deal. The way that was written also is a bit unfortunate, for those who ordered yesterday, in hopes of 1 100 or more coming available, before build, as it might not be possible to cancel and reorder, which I, for one, would definitely do, unless the bigger juice option supervenes ASAP...

Thank you very much

Fury

4. flar

flar Member

I just ordered yesterday, mostly due to indecision finally falling on the side of owning an amazing car and supporting the Tesla development mission, but a small bit because the timing opened the biggest window to see if the 100D is around the corner and still getting unlimited supercharging. It would have been nice to know that they were going to extend the deadline - who knows I might have delayed, but really this possibility was just fueling/enabling my own indecision over an extreme purchase (more than 2x the price of any other car I've bought).

On the other hand, my experience last month with a 24-hour test drive spoiled the milk of supercharging a bit for me. I had driven a lot the night I picked it up and it was at the point where a quick charge the next morning on the way to work would give me some peace of mind for getting to work and back to the dealer to drop it off and being able to take the "long scenic road" to return it. I do have a charger at home for my electric motorcycle, but it is only a 110 J1772 device that was charging at less than 3MPH (that equates to about 12MPH for the motorcycle btw).

(In retrospect, a quick trip to the supercharger the night before might have been a wiser choice, but the supercharger was on the way to work so I decided not to go too far out of my way and experience a lesson in range planning instead.)

I stopped by the Hillsdale supercharger in San Mateo at the end of typical commute times only to find all stalls full (I half expected that, but thought my timing waiting until the end of commute time might have mitigated this). But there was also a line of Teslas lining every available aisle in a very busy parking lot waiting to charge. I felt a little ill at the entitlement of everyone using this facility as their personal free lunch and getting in the way of shoppers just trying to use the local shops in the process. (And, no, I wasn't doing the same thing - as a non-owner I had no convenient home charging solution yet, the 110 outlet only gave me something like 25 miles overnight, so local supercharging was an important part of maximizing my test drive experience.)

The days of unlimited supercharging are going the way of the days of unlimited cell phone data - and for the same general reasons... :(

• Like x 3
  5. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Member

Well to be fair you did choose the worst time and location. SAN Mateo has been overly full for more than a year. It has been the only location that I've seen full in my 12000 miles of road trips.

6. flar

flar Member

Later the next evening (they let me keep it a second night and return it using the key drop in the morning), I ended up using the Mt. View Computer History Museum supercharger. It was busy, but had 3-4 slots open at all times. It was interesting seeing everyone curled up in their car reading books and playing with their phones waiting for the charge. I'm an introvert as well, but I thought there might be at least a couple of drivers chatting or taking a walk or something.

The part that left a bad taste for me about the Hillsdale charger was not that it was full, but the sheer number of cars that were lined up as if there was no other option. This isn't just an opportunistic "hey, free charge today", this is something they literally will not give up on even if it means a long wait and inconveniencing other people. When I got there, I simply said "OK, not today" and tried to loop around to leave, but there were so many cars waiting in line that it took me 5 minutes to navigate 4 short aisles to flip back around and get back to the road, squeaking by cars whose drivers weren't even paying attention to someone trying to squeeze past them. That's the part that gives me chills - and it takes away from the ownership experience kind of like people feel that they would never buy a BMW because they will be associated with "those $#&hole BMW drivers". It would be less so if this was some remote parking lot off of a highway, but the parked cars they were blocking were just people trying to use the grocery store, restaurants and the other strip mall stores there. The greenest drivers on the planet are becoming an urban blight just to get a free ride... :(

[And, with that, I realize that I'm slowly hijacking this thread. Hopefully my comments up above about the purchase decision process and how the extension of the deadline feels is what future posts follow up on...]

• Informative x 1
  7. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

How do you know those people didn't need the charge to get to where they were going?

• Love x 1
  8. flar

flar Member

You are correct that they all had plausible deniability. I don't think this thread is for that discussion, though.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I don't follow. Why cancel and reorder?

10. callmesam

callmesam Member

How did you know these were "locals"?

I agree it's not for this discussion but YOU brought it up.

I ask this every time someone claims locals are clogging up a Supercharger but can't seem to get a clear answer.

11. FURY

FURY Member

Hi Dreamin!

I have a model S, so the TESLA fire that consumes some, is not even an ember for me.

Moreover, the longer out order/delivery, whilst maintaining the free Supercharger rider, the bigger the hope window, for change order to >90 battery and other incorporated options-some transparent & others offered.

Thank you very much

Fury

12. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Looks like orders need to be confirmed by Jan 15th this time, so really last day to order is Jan 8th. That did not seem clear to me upon reading the update though.

13. flar

flar Member

What is your source on that? The email that was sent out used the word "ordered" in two different places.

"Any Tesla ordered by January 15, 2017 and built by April 15, 2017 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel."

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Technically you haven't ordered until your order is confirmed. Up until then you can change anything or cancel.

15. flar

flar Member

My Tesla page said "Your Tesla has been ordered." from the day I clicked the order button. I am still inside the 7 day window and it still says "has been ordered".

Also, the "Order Agreement" I signed (it's called that in my list of documents, but when you bring it up the title is the MVPA) says that it is describing the vehicle that I ordered and the time frame says that they will submit my order to the factory one week after the "Order Date".

16. jason1466

jason1466 Member

First time I noticed the word "built," rather than "delivered" I think it was before. For us East Coasters and international owners, that can make a big difference.

17. David99

David99 Active Member

Having to pay for Supercharging would not change my decision to buy a Tesla or not. In no way whatsoever. Elon said it will be cheaper than gas so it won't be expensive. Saving a few $ on free charging while on trips is really not a big factor when it comes to deciding why to buy a Tesla. So one way or another I don't understand the big deal.

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

People who make $50,000 a year might stand around for 2 hours for free ice cream at Ben & Jerrys.

FREE is psychologically very compelling.

and mainly Tesla owners have more dollars than sense so that explains "the big deal".

19. Halcyon

Halcyon Member

Came from my Owner Advisor.

Also, the update says "delivered" and not "built".
    "Update: Because of high demand and to give an opportunity to those customers who could not order over the holidays, we are extending it so customers can place an order for a Model S or X until January 15th, 2017 and take delivery by April 15, 2017 to receive free unlimited Supercharging."

20. flar

flar Member

Interesting. The email I quoted was the announcement email for that blog update so the inconsistency came at the same time and from the same team.