Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime supercharging?

Anyone else having there lifetime supercharging taken away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lifetime supercharging is transferable. Except in the case where you purchase from a private party, and even then it almost always transfers. Thanks for your response, I appreciate all of you on the forums.
As I've mentioned multiple times before, lifetime supercharging is transferable on used Teslas if the car was ordered before January 15, 2017.

I had the same problem with you.

I purchased the car from a private party. Transferred the car to my account for a while. I had the free supercharger too :)

After 4 months, I decided to purchase the ESA. The transaction went through.

But few days later, they refunded the amount and someone at my local SC told me that I’m not qualified for the ESA as I bought the car from 3rd party. Then my supercharger went away too.

I’m still fighting my case with Tesla. They called my previous owner as 3rd dealer. You should check about your ESA buying eligibility too.

If you are really true to that view, there are very few products you can buy. I wonder what electronic devices you are using to post here and if you looked into those company backgrounds, like Apple's Foxconn suicide nets for tortured employees? Or give me another brand and I'll tell you of other problems much worse than no free supercharging. These companies are run by humans and all have flaws. I'm not sure about your Starbucks reference but they sure seem to be tackling the bathroom/racism issue appropriately, at least in my view.
As far as electronics go, I agree with you about apple. That's another company I refuse to buy from. I know but Samsung company probably isn't much better but I feel better making my purchases from them.

You have no privity of contract with Tesla so it doesn't really matter what they said to the owner you bought from.

I see it as biting off your nose to spite your face, but to each their own. I do admire your conviction.
If you are really true to that view, there are very few products you can buy. I wonder what electronic devices you are using to post here and if you looked into those company backgrounds, like Apple's Foxconn suicide nets for tortured employees? Or give me another brand and I'll tell you of other problems much worse than no free supercharging. These companies are run by humans and all have flaws. I'm not sure about your Starbucks reference but they sure seem to be tackling the bathroom/racism issue appropriately, at least in my view.

You have no privity of contract with Tesla so it doesn't really matter what they said to the owner you bought from.

I see it as biting off your nose to spite your face, but to each their own. I do admire your conviction.

I had the same problem with you.

I purchased the car from a private party. Transferred the car to my account for a while. I had the free supercharger too :)

After 4 months, I decided to purchase the ESA. The transaction went through.

But few days later, they refunded the amount and someone at my local SC told me that I’m not qualified for the ESA as I bought the car from 3rd party. Then my supercharger went away too.

I’m still fighting my case with Tesla. They called my previous owner as 3rd dealer. You should check about your ESA buying eligibility too.
Good luck brother, I do still love my Tesla and I hate to sell.

As I've mentioned multiple times before, lifetime supercharging is transferable on used Teslas if the car was ordered before January 15, 2017.
I know you've said it but it doesn't make it correct. Just as because my research shows that it does transfer doesn't make me right either. Tesla is the final arbiter here. It appears that one customer service rep. Has decided to change my car's listing from free charging to not free after 4 months.
Thanks for your response brother!

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I do not believe Tesla is doing anything. As someone that bought a car and took delivery in December 2016, I didn't even know supercharging was transferable. I bought then because of the HW2 and supercharging for life was supposedly going away (it was merely an incentive for early adopters who were paying large premiums for Tesla vehicles to pay for Supercharger network capital investment and capital investment in the Model 3).

Tesla then updated its policy, as other indicated, to clarify that supercharging for life was only transferable on early cars. Going forward, it was a perk only for the original owner (but for the life of their ownership).

Your misunderstanding lies in your acceptance, without confirmation from Tesla, that your vehicle would also carry the supercharging for life after a third party sale. That's on you and your recourse lies with the seller to make you whole (with money that you can use to buy supercharging). Tesla, itself, cannot be compelled to give you supercharging as their system has your car marked already as not qualifying due to a third party sale/transfer of title (that's how you have app access to your car).

The silver lining is that your car is so new that you don't qualify. At least its new! Mine is so old I and anyone else that owns it gets some free electrons to make them happy to drive a dated relic. (jk).

This is what my Tesla's page says about my car. It jives completely with @MorrisonHiker. People that bought after the cutoff don't have the transfer language in their page. I think it explicitly says it will not transfer. So that was on the seller of your car to convey that information and on you to verify it prior to deciding on a purchase price (or purchasing that particular Tesla -- you could've gotten an earlier one like mine without this issue).

upload_2018-6-20_16-14-24.png

I do not believe Tesla is doing anything. As someone that bought a car and took delivery in December 2016, I didn't even know supercharging was transferable. I bought then because of the HW2 and supercharging for life was supposedly going away (it was merely an incentive for early adopters who were paying large premiums for Tesla vehicles to pay for Supercharger network capital investment and capital investment in the Model 3).

Tesla then updated its policy, as other indicated, to clarify that supercharging for life was only transferable on early cars. Going forward, it was a perk only for the original owner (but for the life of their ownership).

Your misunderstanding lies in your acceptance, without confirmation from Tesla, that your vehicle would also carry the supercharging for life after a third party sale. That's on you and your recourse lies with the seller to make you whole (with money that you can use to buy supercharging). Tesla, itself, cannot be compelled to give you supercharging as their system has your car marked already as not qualifying due to a third party sale/transfer of title (that's how you have app access to your car).

The silver lining is that your car is so new that you don't qualify. At least its new! Mine is so old I and anyone else that owns it gets some free electrons to make them happy to drive a dated relic. (jk).

This is what my Tesla's page says about my car. It jives completely with @MorrisonHiker. People that bought after the cutoff don't have the transfer language in their page. I think it explicitly says it will not transfer. So that was on the seller of your car to convey that information and on you to verify it prior to deciding on a purchase price (or purchasing that particular Tesla -- you could've gotten an earlier one like mine without this issue).

View attachment 311267
Here (again) is an example showing how free Supercharging does not transfer to the next owner for cars ordered after January 15, 2017:
2018-04-24-jpg.296371

It's possible @Ozmt did get incorrect information from a customer service rep but that doesn't mean it was legally binding, especially since it goes against their published policies. It could've been an honest mistake. Had Ozmt confirmed with the seller prior to purchase, he could've easily seen from the image above that free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and croman

View attachment 311267
Thanks for your response, I truly mean that. However, for response is a little off. I did check with Tesla prior to my purchase. I'm not looking for Tesla to give me something for nothing. I just strongly feel that this decision, made 4 months after the fact, is incorrect.
My only recourse is to accept that or sell my interest in the company and sell my car. Btw can I interest you in spa loaded 2017 100D?

Thanks for your response, I truly mean that. However, for response is a little off. I did check with Tesla prior to my purchase. I'm not looking for Tesla to give me something for nothing. I just strongly feel that this decision, made 4 months after the fact, is incorrect.
My only recourse is to accept that or sell my interest in the company and sell my car. Btw can I interest you in spa loaded 2017 100D?
Dang auto spell checker!!

Here (again) is an example showing how free Supercharging does not transfer to the next owner for cars ordered after January 15, 2017:
2018-04-24-jpg.296371

It's possible @Ozmt did get incorrect information from a customer service rep but that doesn't mean it was legally binding, especially since it goes against their published policies. It could've been an honest mistake. Had Ozmt confirmed with the seller prior to purchase, he could've easily seen from the image above that free Supercharging will not transfer to the next owner.
You are correct sir. I relied you a company representative to give me accurate information. Again, I love this car bit I feel it's got to go. Someone will get a great deal.
Thanks

You are correct sir. I relied you a company representative to give me accurate information. Again, I love this car bit I feel it's got to go. Someone will get a great deal.
Thanks

.... I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why losing something worth <$30/mo is the deal breaker on a car that probably cost >$30k.... or is this one of those 'cut off your nose to spite your face deals....'

Reactions: Corbets and croman

Thanks

I refinanced my mortgage with Wachovia back in 2008. A few months later I ended up selling my house and Wells Fargo (which had purchased Wachovia) charged me a prepayment penalty. I complained since I was told by the customer service representative at Wachovia that there would be no prepayment penalty if I sold the house. I fought it for a year but all documentation that Wells Fargo provided indicated a prepayment penalty would apply even though the customer service representative said otherwise. Had I gotten a statement in writing from Wachovia, I might've had a leg to stand on but as it was, all Wells Fargo policy documentation indicated the prepayment penalty would apply. After escalating it for a year, I finally gave up and accepted I was out the $5000 prepayment penalty. Honestly, I was relieved once it was over. I'll never do business with Wells Fargo again even though it wasn't their fault that I was given incorrect information.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Is the main issue, the rattle or the policy?

Btw: Had you invested in home charging or have you been local charging and this policy impacts your pre-purchase cost analysis?

Unless you use your vehicle to transport or plan frequent long distance trips, SC cost would be minimal.

Anyway, as others have pointed out all Auto Mfgs have issues.

The world is a funny place.....

Btw: Had you invested in home charging or have you been local charging and this policy impacts your pre-purchase cost analysis?

Unless you use your vehicle to transport or plan frequent long distance trips, SC cost would be minimal.

It's just the bad feeling I get after dealing with customer service. The take it or leave it attitude I'm choosing to leave it. Right or wrong, it's probably right for me.

I refinanced my mortgage with Wachovia back in 2008. A few months later I ended up selling my house and Wells Fargo (which had purchased Wachovia) charged me a prepayment penalty. I complained since I was told by the customer service representative at Wachovia that there would be no prepayment penalty if I sold the house. I fought it for a year but all documentation that Wells Fargo provided indicated a prepayment penalty would apply even though the customer service representative said otherwise. Had I gotten a statement in writing from Wachovia, I might've had a leg to stand on but as it was, all Wells Fargo policy documentation indicated the prepayment penalty would apply. After escalating it for a year, I finally gave up and accepted I was out the $5000 prepayment penalty. Honestly, I was relieved once it was over. I'll never do business with Wells Fargo again even though it wasn't their fault that I was given incorrect information.
Sometimes it's not about right or wrong, it's just what you get stuck with. In your case and mine, we relied upon a professional to tell us the truth, and we were misled.
I'll accept my lumps and move on.
Thanks

The rattle, and the changing of the attitude towards finding it, bothered me quite a bit. They tried 4 times to fix it then gave up and called it a normal part of the car. Changing their approach when it suited them. I feel the same way about the charging. Everything transferred correctly, for 4 months, then it changed with no notice. Just feeling like an abused customer and I didn't wish to have over $100k instead in a company that makes me feel that way.
Thanks

Want to do a straight trade for a December 2016 S75 with free supercharging for life? ;)

Reactions: RayW and Rocky_H
Sometimes it's not about right or wrong, it's just what you get stuck with. In your case and mine, we relied upon a professional to tell us the truth, and we were misled. I'll accept my lumps and move on. Thanks

I'd recommend you give it a bit of time. It's seems to be too raw for you now and that's when we tend to make rash decisions. In my opinion, you set out your views rationally and have good reason to be ticked off and to want to sell. But are you really better off selling it? It may seem so now, but that can change as the raw emotion weans. Then again, every time you hear that rattle you might think of no free supercharging and be driven nuts. So you have to do what's right for you. I just hope you think it through without too much emotion attached and more reason.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby and croman