Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime supercharging?

Anyone else having there lifetime supercharging taken away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who got free supercharging when and rules about transferability can be confusing. You misunderstood something that an online article said— but even if the article gave incorrect information that doesn’t bind Tesla to it. Unless your primary reason for buying a Tesla was the free supercharging, in which case you’ve really missed the point of owning a Tesla, let it go and enjoy the car.

I understand your webpage shows that. But read the article above. Add that to the fact that when I called Tesla with the vin, prior to my purchase, I was told that the free supercharging would transfer. Again, it's not necessarily the cost of the charging but the principle of it. I do the same thing with my choice of electronics, insurance, grocery stores, etc..

Getting legal terms from a 3rd party news article is just a bad idea. But even if you do, where in the article does it say the free supercharging is transferable?

I'd recommend you give it a bit of time. It's seems to be too raw for you now and that's when we tend to make rash decisions. In my opinion, you set out your views rationally and have good reason to be ticked off and to want to sell. But are you really better off selling it? It may seem so now, but that can change as the raw emotion weans. Then again, every time you hear that rattle you might think of no free supercharging and be driven nuts. So you have to do what's right for you. I just hope you think it through without too much emotion attached and more reason.
Excellent advice! I've already sold my stock. I just finished an almost 8,000 mile trip that I planned on free supercharging. Now the charges are rolling in and it's not that I can't afford it but I'm having trouble not feeling like my pockets are getting picked.
Thanks!

Reactions: P85_DA
I know you've said it but it doesn't make it correct. Just as because my research shows that it does transfer doesn't make me right either. Tesla is the final arbiter here. It appears that one customer service rep. Has decided to change my car's listing from free charging to not free after 4 months.
Thanks for your response brother!

Tesla is very clear on their rules of transfer. It's not their fault when someone doesn't read or understand their clearly-stated policies.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tesla is very clear on their rules of transfer. It's not their fault when someone doesn't read or understand their clearly-stated policies.
You're right! That's why I called the professionals at Tesla and asked them directly.
It's not the cost involved, its how I feel I've been treated. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I wish Tesla the best and hope they crush the competition. I love my car and hate to see it go.
Thanks

That could be a good move. I've been thinking of selling mine too but it has nothing to do with supercharging -- well, maybe not -- since it does have to do with a super charged up President and potential trade wars.
Strange times indeed!
SMH. Feelings over logic always makes me SMH.
I totally understand. I'm sure I will smh too. However, I guess the bottom line is it's my $100k+ and I'll move it somewhere else.
Thanks.

I can trade it in for an ice...

Hmmm, you do know the cost of fossil fuel is about 3x the cost of electrons per mile to power your car, right? So you'll pay 3x more per mile to push your car around because you didn't get free super charging.

Seriously, "free Super Charging" is a marketing thing and not really a big deal because the vast majority of people use it infrequently and the cost is a fraction of fossil fuel. The real value is the fact that Super Chargers exist and you can travel long distances without worry.

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 11.04.59 PM.png
This is the most ridiculous thread I've ever seen. The owner wants to save on average $100/year in supercharging costs and because he can't get it for free. he'll spite Tesla by selling his car. Whatever lol. Tesla could care less.

It is a well known secret that new teslas do not get free suepercharging unless you use a referral code. And that supercharging does not transfer to the next owner. You read a non Tesla website and then you probably asked a Tesla representative a question that they misunderstood. And now you're blaming Tesla for your mistake, a mistake that will cost you pennies, literal pennies. Most of us do not use supercharging that much. Especially all the model 3 owners, and they don't mind paying for supercharging. Still at least 3x cheaper than paying for gas.

Have fun buying an ICE and paying $50/week in gas. And have fun eating that depreciation selling a car you just bought. What on earth was the point of this thread? to stick it to Tesla?

Excellent advice! I've already sold my stock. I just finished an almost 8,000 mile trip that I planned on free supercharging. Now the charges are rolling in and it's not that I can't afford it but I'm having trouble not feeling like my pockets are getting picked.
Thanks!

Lol, seriously? because nobody has ever paid for gas on a roadtrip before. If you took that long of a roadtrip and didn't enjoy your car or was upset in the $250 in supercharging costs for 8000 miles of travel then a Tesla isn't the car for you.

Last edited:
I just have to comment on the irony of people who bought $100,000 toys (as I did too) telling OP that his decision is irrational. I think it's a very hard argument to make that buying a Tesla right now makes financial sense unless you assign a significant value to intangibles.

Making a mistake and giving somebody free supercharging and then removing it after the fact is terrible customer service. This plays directly into the psychology of loss aversion. Having made the mistake, Tesla should have just lived with it. This doesn't mean I believe OP is entitled to the free supercharging, but that it seems like a better business decision to forgo the $30/month revenue in exchange for having a satisfied customer who feels like he got special treatment from the company.

Reactions: Cowby
I just have to comment on the irony of people who bought $100,000 toys (as I did too) telling OP that his decision is irrational. I think it's a very hard argument to make that buying a Tesla right now makes financial sense unless you assign a significant value to intangibles.

5 years ago I needed a vehicle that could get me from WA to NM a couple times a year as well as commuting to work and around town. I was tired of burning fools fuel... if I'm using a 'toy' then I guess the definition has been broadened to include everything... was there another option I missed?

I'd love to hear Elon and JBs take on this but listening the them talk about Supercharging over the years I'm confident that they intended for Supercharging to always be unlimited and free... for LONG-DISTANCE TRAVEL!! The moochers ruined it for everyone. So there's some irony in the fact that customers are now complaining that Tesla removed a perk... because customers were abusing it... I wish Tesla had gone another route like blocking SC access within ~75 miles of home.

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
Ok, "toy" may be hyperbole. The main point is that it makes no financial sense to buy a Tesla just for transportation. A plug-in Prius would save a bunch of money and reduce my carbon footprint to a sustainable level while being able to meet all my transportation needs. The main problem with that is that I would then have to drive a Prius. While I definitely would not want to do that, I don't think that that's a purely rational decision. If I weren't excited about the Tesla's performance and features (and the brand), I don't think I could justify spending more than twice as much money for a car. "Feelings" are a big part of why I'm willing to pay for a Tesla.

The main point is that it makes no financial sense to buy a Tesla just for transportation.

That statement is true of ANY new car. People pay a premium for a Tesla or any other new car because they want a new car. It's more than a stretch to extrapolate that to say paying for a new car and complaining about $30/mo in SC fees are equally irrational.

And supercharger fees are quantitative unlike the more qualitative perspective of where your energy comes from or how much fun the car is to drive. Returning a car and giving up on a company because the cost of ownership increased by <3% is more than a little silly.... especially when all the alternatives are far less favorable from the above mentioned perspectives...

Making a mistake and giving somebody free supercharging and then removing it after the fact is terrible customer service. This plays directly into the psychology of loss aversion. Having made the mistake, Tesla should have just lived with it. This doesn't mean I believe OP is entitled to the free supercharging, but that it seems like a better business decision to forgo the $30/month revenue in exchange for having a satisfied customer who feels like he got special treatment from the company.

The OP bought from a private individual, not Tesla. It just takes Tesla a little time to realize the car has been sold. That is when they disable free supercharging.