Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime supercharging?

Anyone else having there lifetime supercharging taken away?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And supercharger fees are quantitative unlike the more qualitative perspective of where your energy comes from or how much fun the car is to drive. Returning a car and giving up on a company because the cost of ownership increased by <3% is more than a little silly.... especially when all the alternatives are far less favorable from the above mentioned perspectives...

I agree completely with this statement, but I think OP is giving up the car because he feels he was badly treated by Tesla's customer service, not because of the monetary value of supercharging. I think that's a lot more defensible than saying that he's giving up the car for financial reasons.

The OP bought from a private individual, not Tesla. It just takes Tesla a little time to realize the car has been sold. That is when they disable free supercharging.

If it really did take three months to recognize the change of ownership, then I guess that's the way it goes, but given how fast the Tesla app is generally updated with new cars, I find it hard to believe that was all. He also said a customer service rep told him he would get free supercharging, so there is at least a little culpability there. Either way, OP felt badly treated, whether correctly or not.

My main point is that logic and feelings both enter into almost all decisions. Furthermore I think that recognizing (and accepting) that makes us better able to make rational decisions.

He also said a customer service rep told him he would get free supercharging, so there is at least a little culpability there. Either way, OP felt badly treated, whether correctly or not.
Perhaps the Tesla customer service rep was referring to the 400 kWh of free Supercharging per year, not free unlimited Supercharging. In that case, the OP does indeed get free Supercharging, just not the free unlimited Supercharging that he mistakenly thought he should receive.

The OP misunderstood the Electrek article, etc., so it's possible he also misunderstood the Tesla employee as well.

• Informative
Reactions: cwied
Making a mistake and giving somebody free supercharging and then removing it after the fact is terrible customer service. This plays directly into the psychology of loss aversion. Having made the mistake, Tesla should have just lived with it.
Oh, come on! You know how these things go. Other people hear that this person got free unlimited Supercharging when he wasn’t supposed to have it, and now it’s unfair to everyone else who was not given it. Now, it’s thousands of people upset, rather than just one.

Oh, come on! You know how these things go. Other people hear that this person got free unlimited Supercharging when he wasn’t supposed to have it, and now it’s unfair to everyone else who was not given it. Now, it’s thousands of people upset, rather than just one.

That is exactly what they're doing with the referral program. My OA volunteered that she could get me a referral code for unlimited charging before she even knew whether I had one. My suggestion is based on the assumption that OPs narrative was correct and he got supercharging and then had it removed after the fact. I don't expect there are thousands of people in the same situation.

That is exactly what they're doing with the referral program. My OA volunteered that she could get me a referral code for unlimited charging before she even knew whether I had one. My suggestion is based on the assumption that OPs narrative was correct and he got supercharging and then had it removed after the fact. I don't expect there are thousands of people in the same situation.
The OP bought a used Tesla from a third party. He didn't buy it from Tesla. He didn't work with an OA. Had he bought a new Tesla, he could've easily gotten free unlimited Supercharging.

If you read the beginning of this thread, you'll see that free unlimited Supercharging is only for the original owner of the car and it has been that way since January 15, 2017. It does not transfer to the next owner of the car.

The OP bought a used Tesla from a third party. He didn't buy it from Tesla. He didn't work with an OA. Had he bought a new Tesla, he could've easily gotten free unlimited Supercharging.

If you read the beginning of this thread, you'll see that free unlimited Supercharging is only for the original owner of the car and it has been that way since January 15, 2017. It does not transfer to the next owner of the car.

I understand that. The point is that new Teslas now also come with no free supercharging. The OAs seem to be bending this rule by offering referral codes to everybody. I'm just saying that if they're already giving free supercharging away to certain people, it doesn't seem that much of a stretch to just let it go if they accidentally give someone free supercharging. To be clear, I think it's within Tesla's rights to refuse it, I just think it was kind of cheap to do so if the OPs description is accurate.

My main point is that logic and feelings both enter into almost all decisions. Furthermore I think that recognizing (and accepting) that makes us better able to make rational decisions.

For me, it takes more than just recognizing it -- although that is a huge first step --- since it's basically admitting to a problem. But that's not enough for me. The next step is to not accept it -- but to work with logic to pick out what is reasonable in our feelings and emotion and then get rid of the rest. We talk to ourselves all day long. Just changing the way we talk to ourselves changes our reality. We all know why the OP feels the way he does, and whether he is right, or Tesla is right, is really not all that relevant when it comes to feelings -- since feelings don't really care for logic or reason. I feel just as bad being screwed out of something when it's done legally to me, as I do when it's done illegally. One gives me a good chance of success if I sue -- but the feelings are the same. And we create our own "feelings" to a great extent. Of course, if someone punches us, we don't have much control over our feelings and resulting injuries. But verbal punches, like the one the OP got, and its ramifications can be controlled by us with logic and reason over feelings and emotion.

Easy to say, tough to implement. But doing so makes for a better of quality of life -- best summed up with "Don't sweat the small stuff." Life's far too short to have time wasted on that. And free supercharging really is small stuff - whereas driving a Tesla has made my quality of life better.

Reactions: Cowby and cwied
And we create our own "feelings" to a great extent. Of course, if someone punches us, we don't have much control over our feelings and resulting injuries. But verbal punches, like the one the OP got, and its ramifications can be controlled by us with logic and reason over feelings and emotion.
There is a lot to this, but how a thing is described in one's own inner monologue reinforces feelings one way or another, and sometimes the description you repeat to yourself can be correct or incorrect. For example:
The OP: "Tesla took away something I was supposed to have." --incorrect
Reality: "I almost got something extra I wasn't supposed to have." --correct

I agree completely with this statement, but I think OP is giving up the car because he feels he was badly treated by Tesla's customer service, not because of the monetary value of supercharging. I think that's a lot more defensible than saying that he's giving up the car for financial reasons.

Which is even a more petty reason to give up on a car. He was never entitled to free supercharging, and it was his inability to do through research which cost him. A lot of us spent months lurking these forums learning everything we could before we ordered our cars, amazing a lot of people simply dont and just purchase blindly. If I'm throwing $80k on anything, im going to learn everything I can before I do it.

Clearly he doesn't like the car enough to keep it, period. For most of us, giving up on EV and going back to gas is like giving up your smart phone and going back to a Nokia. If one can do that, one was never impressed with their smart phone in the first place. Tesla was clearly never meant for him in the first place.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and P85_DA
Clearly he doesn't like the car enough to keep it, period. For most of us, giving up on EV and going back to gas is like giving up your smart phone and going back to a Nokia. If one can do that, one was never impressed with their smart phone in the first place. Tesla was clearly never meant for him in the first place.

Or giving up on Tesla and not going back to gas. As more luxury car makers start pumping out EVs; and Tesla’s service trending the opposite direction; it’s going to be hard to ignore and accept/deal with some of the known issues.

Tesla is ultimately to thank for it; I just wish they kept their service level high. Tesla service in 2015/2016, long time to get an appointment but great attention and service. Service in 2018 is on par with what I’ve gotten for my Subaru’s.

Or giving up on Tesla and not going back to gas. As more luxury car makers start pumping out EVs; and Tesla’s service trending the opposite direction; it’s going to be hard to ignore and accept/deal with some of the known issues.

"not going back to gas"

Without a fast charging network like the superchargers, basically every EV out there will be city cars for the foreseeable future. Only VW's electrify America project is remotely organized and that isn't even free or on any major freeway corridor. Teslas are basically the only EVs that can replace mainstream ICE vehicles in any sort of utility due to its fast charging network. Seeing how the OP was originally upset for having to pay for charging, no other EV would come close to suiting his needs.