Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
270 with aeros and about 1900 miles. Cannot for the life of me figure how people average significantly lower unless they don't deal with hills and most of their miles are on local roads.

270 is still amazing. I'm averaging that in temps between 35-50F with my i3. 220Wh/mi above 50-55F. That's with a tiny car with only 17kWh usable energy. I drool over the idea of 71kWh usable energy in Model 3 size, with same efficiency. If I can average less than 280Wh/mi doing 70mph in temps above 50F it is a game changer.

Interesting that they show you the Wh/mi. but don't measure it at the motor, they include heat and potentially headlights and subwoofer.

I have a motorhome that COULD have come with a diesel generator but fortunately it comes with a propane one so all of my miles per gallon reflect fuel going thru the engine. Sounds like they don't do that on the Tesla.

-Randy

I'm quite happy about that, personally. I'm much more interested in total energy consumption than what is spent just spinning the wheels, especially when trying to learn what the climate control does in terms of effect on range.

Reactions: israndy
270 is still amazing. I'm averaging that in temps between 35-50F with my i3. 220Wh/mi above 50-55F. That's with a tiny car with only 17kWh usable energy. I drool over the idea of 71kWh usable energy in Model 3 size, with same efficiency. If I can average less than 280Wh/mi doing 70mph in temps above 50F it is a game changer.

Yeah, I had figured I'd end up around where I am actually so I'm not surprised. Will be interesting to see what it's like once summer rolls around… it hasn't been *cold* here but the 40s and 50s are well-represented over the last few weeks. The overwhelming majority of my miles are with autopilot on, and it's not very subtle with the throttle (which is fine for me, but some folks should be aware).

Yeah, I had figured I'd end up around where I am actually so I'm not surprised. Will be interesting to see what it's like once summer rolls around… it hasn't been *cold* here but the 40s and 50s are well-represented over the last few weeks. The overwhelming majority of my miles are with autopilot on, and it's not very subtle with the throttle (which is fine for me, but some folks should be aware).

I've had a lot of roadtrip experiences with Model S. Assuming you have too, can we say that Model 3 is 25% more efficient than the S in same scenario?

With a Model S 85D I had to do Istanbul-Ankara road trip. (I'm from Turkey, there are no Superchargers, or even Chademo DCs) It was 480km I had to do, I could only get 11kW charging opportunity in the middle. So I wanted to stop as little as possible.

I was not hypermiling per se but was being careful. First 200km(124miles) I was doing 100-110km/h manually. (62-68mph) averaging 320Wh/mi.(200Wh/km) When I found a speeding bus doing 68mph I turned Autopilot on, set following distance to 1 and behind it I went for ~150km(90miles) Consumption went down to ~280Wh/mi.

If I can get 280Wh/mi doing 75mph on Model 3 in the same scenario without trailing buses for aero or anything it will be epic. Meaning it will be a comfortable journey when Superchargers are here. Also meaning I can almost make it without charging if I hypermile sensibly. (meaning not going as slow as 50mph but just being careful with accelaration, anticipation and maybe even slipstreaming occasionally)

Practical efficiency (not EPA, NEDC or WLTP test specific efficiency) is as important as battery size. This can't be emphasised enough.

Reactions: Lindenwood and GSP
oh nice, last time this thread was active I didn't have my 3 then.

Current lifetime efficiency from the car is 209 Wh/mi, just over 2000 miles. 18" Aeros. The number is still dropping. My individual round trips average around 180 Wh/mi these days (70-80F ambient weather), and over time, it's averaging out the less efficient numbers from back in late march, when New England was still experiencing near freezing temps.

261 wh/mi over more than 8,000 miles of mostly road trips with 3 people and full trunk of luggage, 19" sport, when my wife is driving the car around town I always see her short trips in the 220 range or less, in the middle of a road trip right now with 700 miles at 251 again with full trunk and 3 people

oh nice, last time this thread was active I didn't have my 3 then.

Current lifetime efficiency from the car is 209 Wh/mi, just over 2000 miles. 18" Aeros. The number is still dropping. My individual round trips average around 180 Wh/mi these days (70-80F ambient weather), and over time, it's averaging out the less efficient numbers from back in late march, when New England was still experiencing near freezing temps.

posted in another thread recently to update my lifetime number. I'm at 4500 miles now, 196Wh/mi lifetime. Efficiency is good based on judicious monitoring of HVAC (A/C) usage. I actively turn off HVAC when weather is comfortable. Leaving it on auto will run the compressor even when unnecessary.

I'm guessing those that are reporting the really low Wh/mi figures are still running with the aero covers installed. I removed mine just a few days after I took delivery. If the efficiency numbers are accurate for the aero wheels with covers installed as opposed to them being removed (I think it's up to something like 8% more efficient when installed?) then I'd be getting closer to 232Wh/mi lifetime instead of 252Wh/mi.

I'm guessing those that are reporting the really low Wh/mi figures are still running with the aero covers installed. I removed mine just a few days after I took delivery. If the efficiency numbers are accurate for the aero wheels with covers installed as opposed to them being removed (I think it's up to something like 8% more efficient when installed?) then I'd be getting closer to 232Wh/mi lifetime instead of 252Wh/mi.
I'm rolling without the covers and I'm averaging 231Wh/mi lifetime (2100 miles). I use EAP every chance I get and I set it to 70mph on the highway.

Last edited: