Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
215wh/mile after 2000miles with a/c set to 72 and 70/30 highway/local driving on 18" aero wheel RWD. I was at 220wh/mile after 1000 miles so the range is certainly improving with my kind of driving... I'm hoping to see it go down to 200wh/mile by 5000 miles.

215wh/mile after 2000miles with a/c set to 72 and 70/30 highway/local driving on 18" aero wheel RWD. I was at 220wh/mile after 1000 miles so the range is certainly improving with my kind of driving... I'm hoping to see it go down to 200wh/mile by 5000 miles.
The arithmetic says 210 Wh/mile the last 1000 miles.

My car is at ~ 5000 miles and shows 213 Wh/mile but that will change by the end of winter.

• Love
Reactions: bpjod
I've done a lot of long distance driving. My mileage is currently at 6000 with 245 Wh/mile.

So I guess those long drives really make a distance, also a lot of incline on those drives such as driving up to Mammoth Lakes etc..

I don't know what my lifetime Wh/mi is. I have noticed that at the start of a drive, the number is pretty high, and then it drops after a while. A lot of my trips are to the grocery store close by, so my lifetime number is artificially inflated. What matters to me is not my lifetime Wh/mi, but my range. All electric cars are extremely efficient compared to gas cars. What matters to me is how far I can go on a charge. On my recent trip, the longest legs were Spokane to Kelowna and back. On the outward leg, I arrived with 30 or 40 miles (or maybe it was kilometers?) more remaining range than the nominal range of the car would have predicted, and on the return leg my distance traveled plus my remaining range was 310 miles, exactly as claimed by Tesla.

Someone could calculate the Wh/mi from that, but I'm too lazy.

The car tells you.

Swipe the card in the bottom left corner of the display to the right. Consumption data is displayed. Scroll down to see different intervals.

Does it show lifetime? I've been too lazy to swipe all the way down to the bottom. I only swipe down to the one I want to see, which is usually for the present trip, and then only if range is going to be an issue.

Okay, I went back out to the car. It shows "Since 2:15" (the most recent time I started the car) and "Since last charge" as well as Trip A and Trip B. At the bottom it shows the odometer, but no lifetime stats for Wh/mi or total kWh used.

And since it's plugged in and ready to charge tonight, it shows $18.something for supercharging, which I'm guessing is for my session on the way home and not yet billed to my card, since that amount does not show up on my banking site. So a very quick and dirty estimate suggests I paid about 7.5¢/mile for supercharging. That's about what the Prius pays for gas at today's average gas prices in Spokane, and less than a typical economy car. But for a MUCH nicer driving experience than either of those. But gas is more in B.C. so the Model 3 beats out the Prius by a small margin for this trip. Sorry for the digression. I get carried away.

Does it show lifetime? I've been too lazy to swipe all the way down to the bottom. I only swipe down to the one I want to see, which is usually for the present trip, and then only if range is going to be an issue.

Okay, I went back out to the car. It shows "Since 2:15" (the most recent time I started the car) and "Since last charge" as well as Trip A and Trip B. At the bottom it shows the odometer, but no lifetime stats for Wh/mi or total kWh used.

And since it's plugged in and ready to charge tonight, it shows $18.something for supercharging, which I'm guessing is for my session on the way home and not yet billed to my card, since that amount does not show up on my banking site. So a very quick and dirty estimate suggests I paid about 7.5¢/mile for supercharging. That's about what the Prius pays for gas at today's average gas prices in Spokane, and less than a typical economy car. But for a MUCH nicer driving experience than either of those. But gas is more in B.C. so the Model 3 beats out the Prius by a small margin for this trip. Sorry for the digression. I get carried away.
For me I never reset Trip A so that is my lifetime.

234 lifetime average. Only time I've had the aero covers on was when I took two 1800+ mile road trips. Average on those trips was about the same as my lifetime average.

But, since I got back from my last trip, my average, with no aero covers, is 216! I do mostly around town and up to 60 mph on a regular basis, but I also hit the accelerator every chance I get.

Anyone with a P3D+ with 20" wheels willing to share their Wh/mile?

P3D+ here... lifetime is currently at 311 kw/m... combo of EAP conservative driving and some spirited manual driving at the wheel. On a trypical commute, i might get 110 going to work downhill on surface roads and 470 uphill back to the house... it's a P, so i have to try very hard to keep the acceleration and efficiency in check. YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: tread and SD_Engnr
Anyone with a P3D+ with 20" wheels willing to share their Wh/mile?

I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade package (i.e., P3D+ with 20" wheels) and I'll be happy to share. I have it on Sport mode (i.e., not Chill mode). My lifetime Wh/mi is currently at 317 Wh/mi and that's over the lifetime course of 136.3 miles. To make it fair, when I picked up my Model 3 at the service center, they charged it from 14 miles. Excluding that 14 miles service testing, I put on myself 122.3 miles at 294 Wh/mi, using about 36 kWh (35,956.2 Wh). And I do use the AC in this hot summer weather, so I'm not cheaping out.

As another poster above mentioned about their P3D+, it's irresistible to not get excited to mash down on the accelerator pedal all the way. The need for acceleration is always there for me. :D I've done it so many times and I still plan on doing it for as long as I drive the car. I'll be honest, I'm no longer interested how low I can get on the Wh/mi. I've already done my fair share trying to keep an ICE near 30 MPG (2006 Acura RSX Type-S, a 4 cylinder 2.0L 6 speed manual transmission subcompact sports car) for nearly 12 years. I got a Tesla Model 3 so that it's much cheaper to travel and also to accelerate for giggles without worrying too much about the cost of doing so. In other words, my Model 3 is much more efficient than my RSX and that ended all the efficiency nerding around. Why bother trying to be more efficient when it's generally accepted that the electric car is more efficient than an ICE?

Just to show evidence, taking the numbers I gave above regarding the Model 3 Performance, it would cost me $4.47 for 122.3 miles if I were to refuel that 36 kWh (about 12 cents/kW) at home. Driving the same distance of 122.3 miles in my RSX and hitting VTEC for giggles (up to 8300 RPM) from time to time, would cost me about $11.31 (currently avg. 28 MPG, Costco premium gas @ $2.59/gal). I drive my Tesla Model 3 sometimes like I stole it when I'm alone in the car. Not so much if wife and toddler joins on in.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with the Performance Upgrade package (i.e., P3D+ with 20" wheels) and I'll be happy to share. I have it on Sport mode (i.e., not Chill mode). My lifetime Wh/mi is currently at 317 Wh/mi and that's over the lifetime course of 136.3 miles. To make it fair, when I picked up my Model 3 at the service center, they charged it from 14 miles. Excluding that 14 miles service testing, I put on myself 122.3 miles at 294 Wh/mi, using about 36 kWh (35,956.2 Wh). And I do use the AC in this hot summer weather, so I'm not cheaping out.

As another poster above mentioned about their P3D+, it's irresistible to not get excited to mash down on the accelerator pedal all the way. The need for acceleration is always there for me. :D I've done it so many times and I still plan on doing it for as long as I drive the car. I'll be honest, I'm no longer interested how low I can get on the Wh/mi. I've already done my fair share trying to keep an ICE near 30 MPG (2006 Acura RSX Type-S, a 4 cylinder 2.0L 6 speed manual transmission subcompact sports car) for nearly 12 years. I got a Tesla Model 3 so that it's much cheaper to travel and also to accelerate for giggles without worrying too much about the cost of doing so. In other words, my Model 3 is much more efficient than my RSX and that ended all the efficiency nerding around. Why bother trying to be more efficient when it's generally accepted that the electric car is more efficient than an ICE?

Just to show evidence, taking the numbers I gave above regarding the Model 3 Performance, it would cost me $4.47 for 122.3 miles if I were to refuel that 36 kWh (about 12 cents/kW) at home. Driving the same distance of 122.3 miles in my RSX and hitting VTEC for giggles (up to 8300 RPM) from time to time, would cost me about $11.31 (currently avg. 28 MPG, Costco premium gas @ $2.59/gal). I drive my Tesla Model 3 sometimes like I stole it when I'm alone in the car. Not so much if wife and toddler joins on in.
Hah, great write up. I used to be a former Type-S owner back in the day too!

Reactions: hoang51