Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AWD (Non P) with Aeros. At close to 500 miles and am at 221 wh/mi.

This is with the ac always on at 72 when driving. I've mainly driven on roads that range from 35 to 55 mph. Will be doing a 160 mile round trip drive next weekend on the highway so I'll see how it does there.

AWD Aeros no caps, 20/80 city/highway, a/c at 70, and autopilot whenever possible. CAF43522-3D2D-46FC-836D-5516DAE8A9DC.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
Hmm. 30% loss from the wall? That seems excessive. Have you been able to pin down a cause?

it is 42%, i didn't see any other numbers there. Friend of mine said he has 20-30% loss from the wall. Basically the wall loss is always around 10%, but this one is probably coming from the vampire drain, and car not sleeping for long periods when parked

Was he charging via 120v? It definitely sounds like it to me because you only get maybe 60-70% of the energy into the battery due to the extremely slow rate of power from 120v, plus the necessary auxiliary systems that are powered on during charging really eats into it.

I could definitely live with that. I created a little spreadsheet to easily calculate fuel cost difference between my current ICE and my soon to arrive Model 3, based on Wh/mi of BEV, ICE MPG and costs of the two fuels. This is what I get with your Wh/mi:

View attachment 331186

Yikes! You are paying 8¢/kWh? Man, at 28¢ I am not going to break even over my 70 MPG car based on your spreadsheet. Even my cabin, that I never crack Tier 1 on, costs 21¢ per. That didn't even include charging and vampire losses

Of course, gas here is closer to $4/gal too

-Randy

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 10.01.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Yikes! You are paying 8¢/kWh? Man, at 28¢ I am not going to break even over my 70 MPG car based on your spreadsheet. Even my cabin, that I never crack Tier 1 on, costs 21¢ per. That didn't even include charging and vampire losses

Of course, gas here is closer to $4/gal too

-Randy

View attachment 331259

Holy geez! 28 cents?!?! I moved to a TOU plan recently. It gives me 8 cents per between 9:00 PM and 9::00 AM. I don't even pay anywhere close to 28 cents on my prime time, between 2:00-6:00 PM on weekdays.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Yeah, California. That plan is renewables only. Hopefully that will go down as more solar and wind come online. Our Supercharging is $0.26 per so mine is not too bad. Also, for each electric car we have, we get $15/mo rebate from the power company. That's just over a single full charge on the car, but I don't charge much at home with all the free charger stations around. There are no free gas stations for my old Honda Insight, where shall I put THAT in the spreadsheet?

-Randy

Last edited:
Yeah, California. That plan is renewables only. Hopefully that will go down as more solar and wind come online. Our Supercharging is $0.26 per so mine is not too bad. Also, for each electric car we have, we get $15/mo rebate from the power company. That's just over a single full charge on the car, but I don't charge much at home with all the free charger stations around. There are no free gas stations for my old Honda Insight, where shall I put THAT in the spreadsheet?

-Randy

Yeah, I used to live in Marin. Everything was expensive. Everything. I don't remember paying that much more for electricity though.

PG&E has varying rates, I have a friend with a Tesla M3 that has a nice overnight rate here in CA, but he also has days when ALL electricity is $0.48/kWh, I would need to leave the house after shutting the breakers on a day like that. We get $15/mo to make up for the lack of a lower night time charging rate. For my wife's i-Miev that's $5 MORE than she spends all month on electricity. The Tesla is more of a road trip car, so it goes thru a lot of juice. When I get home I hit the local free chargers, on the road I will supercharge or free charge overnight. At our cabin, we are always PG&E Tier 1 so we pay $0.21 per, even with some charging we have never gone over a $40 bill. They don't recommend a plan change. Even if I had $.08 charging I might still not top off, incase I park at a free charger when out and about.

The beauty of Alameda is we have our own power company, when the rest of Calif. had those rolling blackouts a decade or more ago we had none. The plan we are on allows us to purchase ONLY renewable sources of electricity. Plans are underway to put a solar farm ON THE ISLAND so the power goes straight to our bottom line, reducing costs for everyone here. Smart meters are rolling out, so in the future we might have cheaper electric car charging. "Currently", it's just $0.28kWh for renewable Tier 3 power, with $15/mo/electric vehicle credit. Gotta love simple.

-Randy

I wish you could lock the first one, or they would just have one built in for lifetime that you couldn't touch.

edit: added as a feature request

I set Trip B as the lifetime so that way, the first one wouldn't reset by accident if it were to be the lifetime. Besides, the lifetime being Trip B for me because I wouldn't be glancing at the lifetime more than my Trip A as my main one to tell me how well I'm performing either since last charge (technically there's one specifically for this that is further down) or the road trip.

Last edited:
I drove 125 miles from OC <—> LA and a bit in between this weekend, and averaged 250wh/mi on the 20” wheels. Mostly cruising around 70-75mph, little bit of traffic and local driving. Pretty impressed, was never able to get under 300 on my S.

I’ve got about 3000 miles on my 3, and am at 295 wh/mi lifetime so far.

Reactions: 9erDog
I drove 125 miles from OC <—> LA and a bit in between this weekend, and averaged 250wh/mi on the 20” wheels. Mostly cruising around 70-75mph, little bit of traffic and local driving. Pretty impressed, was never able to get under 300 on my S.

I’ve got about 3000 miles on my 3, and am at 295 wh/mi lifetime so far.

Good statistic, 290-310 is what I imagined a P3D+ would be which corresponds to 250 to 270 miles range. At 250 Wh/mi its closer to 313 miles.

oh nice, last time this thread was active I didn't have my 3 then.

Current lifetime efficiency from the car is 209 Wh/mi, just over 2000 miles. 18" Aeros. The number is still dropping. My individual round trips average around 180 Wh/mi these days (70-80F ambient weather), and over time, it's averaging out the less efficient numbers from back in late march, when New England was still experiencing near freezing temps.

My post above was in May. It's now early September, on the other side of the seasonal curve relative to the summer solstice. Round trips are averaging lower than May, around 165 Wh/mi. Lifetime average has dropped to 189 Wh/mi. I'm anticipating that it won't drop much more as "Winter is coming." It will likely start to go up quite a bit with heater use.

As I mentioned before, managing HVAC manually improves efficiency quite a bit, as the car constantly runs the A/C compressor even if it's comfortable outside. This time of year (Spring and Fall) are perfect times to restrict the car's A/C and heater use. Since there's no explicit way to put the settings on "fan only," you just set your set point temps accordingly.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
As I mentioned before, managing HVAC manually improves efficiency quite a bit, as the car constantly runs the A/C compressor even if it's comfortable outside. This time of year (Spring and Fall) are perfect times to restrict the car's A/C and heater use. Since there's no explicit way to put the settings on "fan only," you just set your set point temps accordingly.

Can concur. When it was in the 70s for highs last week, I was able to drive around with the windows open and AC off. I was getting < 200 wh/mi on my in-town trips.

After 8000 miles I'm at 235 wh/mile (rwd w/ aeros). For comparison after 50,000 miles of the exact same driving in my Model S I ended up at 305 wh/mile. I'll point out though that even in California I was averaging more like 255 wh/mile during the winter and have been doing more like 220 over the summer, so you can't really compare to people who have only been driving in the summer so far.

Last edited: