Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lifetime 207 Wh/mi, LRRWD driving in CO since last December. 18" without Aero covers, going to install winter tires on 18 inch soon.

Thinking of getting Aftermarket 19" wheels, what do you guys think? Worth going to 19" or stick to 18"?

Attachments

• IMG_8571.jpg
    IMG_8571.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 105
My wheels are not equal size. All things being equal, lighter wheels will always increase efficiency due to basic laws of physics relating to inertia.

Wheel concavity, width, spoke design (i.e. aero) and other things also play more of a factor at cruising speeds.

So Concave flush wheels are less efficient than Wheel to fender? I think its the tire compound LRR Tires more efficient than sticky summer tires. One is fun to drive and other isn't.

So Concave flush wheels are less efficient than Wheel to fender? I think its the tire compound LRR Tires more efficient than sticky summer tires. One is fun to drive and other isn't.
I said all things being equal. Meaning tire compounds being the same, lighter wheels are more efficient. No clue what you mean when you say wheel to fender.

And at any speed above general city traffic, aero has a greater effect than rolling resistance.

I said all things being equal. Meaning tire compounds being the same, lighter wheels are more efficient. No clue what you mean when you say wheel to fender.

And at any speed above general city traffic, aero has a greater effect than rolling resistance.

Oops I meant to say wheels flush to fender vs Oe wheels which are inside. So concavity and flush wheels are aero?

how about lowering car by an inch?

Wife's SR+ in NC, USA, bought April 2019:

213 Wh/mi.

Last 2k miles: 197 (no AC or heat - she hasn't had to use heat in the fall, yet, and just occasional seat heater use)

When it gets cold enough to require heat, I'm sure this will go up a bit, but I've been impressed with the car's efficiency.

Now if we could just get our projected range back - we're down to about 220 miles when charged to 100%. Though I'm pretty sure it's just bogus BMS estimation, since if I drive at 209 Wh/mi, I can usually get close to the rated 240 miles out of a full charge.

Oops I meant to say wheels flush to fender vs Oe wheels which are inside. So concavity and flush wheels are aero?

how about lowering car by an inch?
Ah sorry, I believe in most instances flush wheels are better for aero (less drag from the exposed fender lips), but the differences are likely negligible. The differences in concavity, open spoke design, etc., all have an affect on aerodynamics, but when you get down to specifics like that it could go either way depending on a multiple factors and there's no proper way to find the optimum combo without a wind tunnel.

My car is lowered ~1.2 inches (30mm) and I saw maybe 3-5% increase in efficiency.

Reactions: Murattukaalai
My lifetime avg was around 240 wh when I had 18" rims and was taking longer slow rides on weekends.

I currently have 19" aftermarket rims and I drive around 85-100 mph on the interstate. But only for half my ride. The other half is slower city traffic which cuts back on usage. My average on a workday tends to be around 280 wh, but sometimes can be in the 300 range. This is almost completely due to the high speeds involved and the fact that I avoid drafting behind other cars (to avoid rock chips)

Lifetime is currently 265wh with just over 11,000 miles.

LR RWD

Lifetime 207 Wh/mi, LRRWD driving in CO since last December. 18" without Aero covers, going to install winter tires on 18 inch soon.

Thinking of getting Aftermarket 19" wheels, what do you guys think? Worth going to 19" or stick to 18"?
207 is great for a cold weather state like CO. Do you park in a heated garage?
I was getting 209 from May (when I got my LR AWD) through about early October, then the cold hit here and my average has jumped to 214. I'm interested to see my one year.