Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate drain plugs retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know what this is? I took my car in for a new IC last week and they said there was a TSB and did this work. Since I’ve been getting a lot of dust in through my back hatch when I haven’t previously. I’m wondering if the retrofit has something to do with it. Anyone know specifically where they are?

Open your hatch. On the bottom you'll see two small oval black plastic plugs. They have a hole on either side to allow any water trapped between the sandwiched panels that would otherwise accumulate & cause rust w/o way to escape. Shouldn't affect the accumulation of dust inside the car. Purely coincidental unless they messed up the rubber gasket which would be unrelated to this modification.

Open your hatch. On the bottom you'll see two small oval black plastic plugs. They have a hole on either side to allow any water trapped between the sandwiched panels that would otherwise accumulate & cause rust w/o way to escape. Shouldn't affect the accumulation of dust inside the car. Purely coincidental unless they messed up the rubber gasket which would be unrelated to this modification.
Thank you! I’ll keep an eye on the dust level. I changed out the cabin filter. Maybe it was just full.

Thank you! I’ll keep an eye on the dust level. I changed out the cabin filter. Maybe it was just full.
This is more likely the culprit. Whenever you change the filter or otherwise disturb the HVAC system you're going to shake dust loose that will blow out for the next several times you run the system. Eventually the filters will pick up fine particulates & you'll be back to normal again.