Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate FULL of water on my CPO P85

Should I buy this CPO

• Do it, Tesla will fix the issue.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Pass, there are more CPOs out there.

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg

My CPO arrived at the service center today. I decided to take a sneak peek even though it has not gone through reconditioning.

Everything looked good except for the wheels (which are being replaced due to curb rash).

Then I opened the rear hatch and water started pouring out into the trunk and onto the parcel shelf. It ran for about two minutes until turning into a trickle.

There was moisture in the left taillight (which didn't concern me at first).

Now I'm wondering if I should pass on this early VIN (P08XXX) or accept it when fixed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

My 2013 P85 had the exact same issue.
There is a known service notice re: moisture in the applique. They will either replace it with a new/redesigned applique or reseal the existing (they did the latter with mine and I have not had any issues since/no signs of any moisture).

I had that same issue earlier this year with a bad seal on the rear applique.

Trunk shower

The service center fixed the problem, but I did need to battle a little bit of funk that set in as the carpet had stayed damp due to frequent rain storms. You may want to ask to have the carpeting and padding shampooed at the very least since rainwater isn't precisely clean.

This is a known issue on the older cars (there are threads about it) and it happened to my car (VIN 27XXX) after almost 2 years of ownership. It is an easy fix! They replace the taillight seals and some other pieces. Don't worry about it, just ask them to fix it.

Remember, CPO cars come with a warranty so you are protected against future problems.
Then I opened the rear hatch and water started pouring out into the trunk and onto the parcel shelf. It ran for about two minutes until turning into a trickle.

There was moisture in the left taillight (which didn't concern me at first).

Now I'm wondering if I should pass on this early VIN (P08XXX) or accept it when fixed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I wouldn't be too concerned about it provided they fix it properly. Tell them after it's fixed you want to be able to run a hose over it, and spend a bit of time with it, to make sure no water gets in before you decide to go through with the purchase. Think of it this way: this is a known issue with earlier cars so it's good you're getting one that is fixed of this issue. Plus, the car is aluminum so rust is not a problem. But run your hands all over the carpet in the back, and in the "basement" of the trunk, to make sure no water got in that isn't dry -- and make sure there's no musty smell.

The service center fixed the problem, but I did need to battle a little bit of funk that set in as the carpet had stayed damp due to frequent rain storms. You may want to ask to have the carpeting and padding shampooed at the very least since rainwater isn't precisely clean.

My service tech replaced the carpet and padding without even asking me. I didn't even know it was damp or anything else wrong with it; smell, etc.
He just noticed the issue and replaced it.