Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate Malfunction, Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issues with their MY lift gate? I went to open it and heard a loud bang the other day. I believe the right side malfunctioned/got stuck while the left side countinued to try to open until it slammed shut. Now it won’t open at all.

I took it to Springfield who informed me it needs to go to a body shop as it’s bent. And they stated the lift gate had a previous “impact” to it and therefore not covered. Needless to say, I was unhappy with their position. The “impact” they referenced was a scratch from a garage door 1-2 years ago when the gate/trunk didn’t have enough clearance when I opened it. I used Tesla touch up paint on to cover the scratch. It is so so minor, I feel Tesla’s position isn’t genuine. A shame cause I’ve loved most of my previous experiences with Tesla service. I will also note that shortly after taking possession of the car in 2020, I had them realign liftgate and rear lights so the panel gaps would be more semetrical.

So this week I need to take it to a body shop. I feel strongly that this should be covered under warranty. If you have any experience in this area, would you please share?

Could you describe the circumstances around when the "minor" scratch happened? "...the gate/trunk didn't have enough clearance..." sounds like it might have jammed/twisted? Although it was "1-2 years ago" it could have caused some stress to the gas struts.

Now, what is "bent"? the hatch? Was the SC able to open the hatch?