Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate noisy latching after I GOT HIT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ONLY time I stop at a gas station, the unthinkable happens. I was outside my car Saturday night cleaning my windshield and some lady pulled up behind me to fill up.
I didn't even notice her, until my car lurches forward. She thought she had her car in park, but didn't and she ran into my Tesla. MORON!!!!!
I've had the car for 2 months, I don't drive it in the rain, and now this. It has minor scratches, and that'll be fixed next week.
Now I've noticed the liftgate release is loud when it opens and hits hard when it stops at the top.
What used to be a fairly quiet process sounds like I'm driving a mini van with a crappy liftgate now.

I will go to the local Tesla gallery place (Keystone Mall) and open their trunk(s) tomorrow to see if it's my imagination.
But I distinctly remember it wasn't noisy, and the release didn't feel like it was under so much pressure when it opened.
I'M SUPER PISSED, Does this mean the frame is bent, the locking area is whacked... who knows.
The bottom of my bumper is what was hit, below the liftgate.

Her insurance guy quoted only for the paint (nice guy too), but **afterward** is when I went to Target and noticed the lift gate noise when I opened it.
I left a message discussing the new noises with the State Farm Rep, and hope to hear back from him tomorrow.
PS, they don't have Tesla in their system, so they just go with what the shop here tells them.

The good news, the Insurance Rep works with the body shop I've taken it to. I believe it's the only shop (Connan) in Indiana certified by Tesla to work on them.
I brought the car back to the shop AFTER they guy had left and shop people said they'd check it out on Monday when it goes in for paint.

But without a frame of reference, how do they know what's loud or normal? I plan to record what a Tesla sounds like at the local Tesla gallery place.
I know I'm rambling, sorry. I just fear my brand new car will never be the same. I HATE GAS STATIONS, And Idiots.

Be sure to let them know that the hatch has problems when you take it to the body shop. Also be sure the body shop you take it to is Tesla certified/recommended. They will need to address the issues both cosmetically and mechanically when they do the fix.

Sorry to hear about your car. Another good reason to avoid gas stations!

I hope they can fix it as good as new. Sounds like they can since the damage was minor.

Good Luck,

GSP