Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lift gate rattling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take a passenger with you and have them sit close to the noise and see if they can push or pull something that affects the noise.

I did that with my Y and passenger located inside the front vent rattled. Mobile service took it apart and was done in 30 mins. Maybe you will get lucky and be able to DIY or find some way to stop it temporarily.

Anyone have issue with lift gate rattling?
Yes, it turned out to be in the area of the lift gate hinge. If you apply pressure to the trip trim piece, the creak is there. I also heard it when opening or closing. I took it upon myself and relief the gaps of the panels a slight bit. But what really did it is loosening and retightening the bolt to the antenna amp, which relief the stress between the pieces.

F57F554E-C5A3-43A8-9CE5-41557FDA8721.jpeg

I hate to post another rattling issue, but since they seem to come up a lot, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the cause of some rattling coming from the lift gate. I've included a 15 second video where you can hear it pretty clearly.

From other threads, I've heard of people adjusting the rubber stoppers, padding their license plate (I did this and it was definitely not the issue), looking at their subwoofer/amplifyer assembly, etc.

I'm hoping to try out a few fixes, but I may just create a SC appointment. The noise is fairly loud and had been happening since delivery in mid November of this year. To be honest, it puts a huge damper on the whole driving experience of this car.

Video of rattling:

A friend of mine got their Y a couple weeks ago and told me they had a rattle coming from the back. Not sure if its the same one, didnt press them on it since its a new car and I didnt want to pry. They set up a service appointment.

I'm sure they'll fix it... so much for improved QC at the factory. One day they'll learn it costs them more in the long run to fix this stuff post delivery.

I was able to locate the source of my trunk/lift gate rattle after 4 months. I sat in the trunk with a friend driving me over rough road to trigger it.

The back plastic trim was loose where I have wedged foam and I was able to hear it coming from here in minutes. Applying gentle pressure to this corner stopped rattling, which came back as soon as I lifted pressure. The foam “fixes” it but is disappointing.

Since I’m not able to replicate it consistently, my service center has so far not tried to fix it saying they can’t reproduce it, and even telling me it sounds like my foam fixed it :(

Anyways, I hadn’t seen this spot being the source in my months of searching.. so sharing here in case it helps someone. At least the insane rattle has stopped for good with my foam even if Tesla won’t fix this.

Attachments

• 54D82D3E-EFFD-43C6-B422-72D220CB4E27.jpeg
    54D82D3E-EFFD-43C6-B422-72D220CB4E27.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
I was able to locate the source of my trunk/lift gate rattle after 4 months. I sat in the trunk with a friend driving me over rough road to trigger it.

The back plastic trim was loose where I have wedged foam and I was able to hear it coming from here in minutes. Applying gentle pressure to this corner stopped rattling, which came back as soon as I lifted pressure. The foam “fixes” it but is disappointing.

Since I’m not able to replicate it consistently, my service center has so far not tried to fix it saying they can’t reproduce it, and even telling me it sounds like my foam fixed it :(

Anyways, I hadn’t seen this spot being the source in my months of searching.. so sharing here in case it helps someone. At least the insane rattle has stopped for good with my foam even if Tesla won’t fix this.
I wonder if some clear silicone where you have that foam would stop the rattle.

Wow! This was the source of some noise when I go over particularly bumpy roads. One side of my trunk trim was very flexible in the red areas. The other side if firm with not flexibility anywhere. The red box with the black line denotes the area where the trunk trim overlaps with other trim and there is a lot of looseness which allows the two pieces to make noises in some road conditions.
0B7F8145-247A-4D2A-B975-B1EE37D8ADF8.jpeg

Any solutions besides the foam "fix" by @Interplanetary? I found mine makes rattle noise on both sides. I am thinking about applying felt tape but the edge is too thin to adhere anything on it.
Make sure your lift gate plastic trim is not loose like mine. In this photo you can see mine is separating from metal. Mine freely moves up and down. Other side has no movement. This is source of my rattles. Making appointment this weekend.
7E8C20E3-77C8-47D5-8595-918CF3BFC72C.jpeg

Reactions: EasyPal