TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Lift-over height for rear hatch

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by artsci, Dec 18, 2012.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Couldn't find this in Tesla's specs for the Model S. What's the lift-over height for the rear hatch? This is the measurement from the ground to the lower lip of the rear hatch -- in other words how far you have to lift items like a suitcase to clear the lip. Anyone know?

2. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Depends on what ride height mode you are in.

3. Ceilidh

Ceilidh Member

I seem to recall that by default the air suspension lowers which is supposed to be for ease of entry and exit. This always struck me as odd since this is a fairly low car to begin with and most elderly folks who need assistance to sit need a lift chair rather than something lower, so I would have assumed higher would be easier.

But considering the jump seats, maybe it makes sense. Would be much easier to lift kids over a lowered rear bumper than a raised one.

Your question brought this to mind... But I don't have the car yet so I will have to defer to others for the numbers.

Cheers.

4. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I will have to watch next time I open the back (e.g. watch the ride height). I will set it to max height and then open the back.

5. Zextraterrestrial

I just ran out to measure - 25 1/2 - or 26 inches when parked. and It seems pretty flat across the width of the opening, which is nice

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks. I was curious as I plan to occasionally transport my Yellow Lab in the rear hatch space. If I back against the curb she can probably make that jump without help.