Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order and I'm going to be lifting it and adding slightly taller tires (currently thinking 55r18) to deal with snow and fire roads. I ski and mountain bike a lot and both of these are pretty common use cases for me. I've found some brethren on here that have done similar things but I'd love to hear how it's going after lifting. Do you regret the lift? Do you have issues with the taller profile tires with respect to navigation for example due to speedometer error? How bad has your efficiency hit been?

MVIMG_20180111_130759.jpeg

Picture for context on the kind of day I'd love to still be able to do with the Y. My 20 year old manual subaru outback is a champ with snow tires on, hoping the Model Y can take it's place after a lift + tires.

Reactions: AquaY
I swapped in 18" aeros and 29" diameter BFG Trail Terrains that have work great. I'm still planning on adding the UPP Dirt and Snow Coilover kit to add an inch or two.

The efficiency hasn't changed much, since I think the smaller/lighter wheels cancel out the effect of the AT tires (and once I put the XL rooftop tent on top, it really wasn't relevant). Just changing the wheels and tires has greatly improved the ride quality but I'm looking forward to the quality of the UPP kit.

IMG_3010.jpeg
IMG_3011.jpeg

Reactions: Skavatar
What size tires would fill out the wheel wells best with OEM gemini wheels? I've seen lots of people using larger size tires for 18" wheels but has anyone upsized their tires for 19" wheels that don't rub?

Last edited:
My understanding is 29” diameter is the absolute maximum that’ll fit without rubbing. My current tires get extremely close on the rear wall of the front wheel wells, and based on a video of i1Tesla installing bigger tires, that was the spot that he had to do some modifications to make his tires fit.

I don’t think the lift would even make a difference in whether they fit or not. After talking with UPP about the lift kit I’m getting from them they also mentioned any bigger than 55R18 would require modifications around the wheel wells.

Oh man, thank you @kevinkeenan! This is the exact setup I'm considering and I was wondering whether the 40 offset wheels would work with a 60 profile. No rubbing I take it? How is your efficiency? (hard to measure I realize since the car is traveling farther than it thinks due to the higher radius)

Oh man, thank you @kevinkeenan! This is the exact setup I'm considering and I was wondering whether the 40 offset wheels would work with a 60 profile. No rubbing I take it? How is your efficiency? (hard to measure I realize since the car is traveling farther than it thinks due to the higher radius)
Yes it will be hard to tell. The winter tires will affect it as well as the continued falling temps. I figure my best chance to get an accurate calculation will be to wait until spring when I put the stock wheels back on and the temps are back to where I have a good control group on TeslaFi. I’m going to submit a feature request to them to add a tire size setting. 👍

Reactions: nicpottier
Some great information here. I just joined here on TMC and took delivery of my Model Y back in November. I have the LR with 20" induction wheels and I only lasted a week before considering some lift and bigger tires with more sidewall. I my other vehicles are a Toyota Tacoma and 1955 Willys Jeep Wagon so I am used to TALL 4x4's. It would be nice if my MY was able to handle at least basic dirt fire roads and deeper snow.

I am going to run the 18x8 Method 502's with Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 255/55r18 tires. I also am on the waitlist for the UP dirt and snow coil overs and adjustable camber arms. I know a couple folks on here have the UP coil over lift on their cars - anyone care to share their opinions?

Reactions: AquaY and Atraf