Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, they fit with a +35 offset but if I keep the gemini wheels and the stock +45 offset, I'll need to go with 255/50/R19 to prevent hitting the wheel well.
Hi everyone, first post here. Looks like a lot of you are fellow PNWers. I'm based in Bellingham, drive a lot of rough roads for paragliding, and travel all over the western US with my MY.

@PNWLeccy have you pulled the trigger? I'm in a similar position trying to decide on next tires for my MY w/MPP lift. I'd like to try the Falken WP AT 245/55/19 on the stock Gemini rims. I've skimmed through this forum and another, and it seems people have found examples of that setup on instagram but no one in the forum has tried it. Any pointers to definitive info about this setup? 1. Does it fit without rubbing? 2. Any treadwear problems mounting the relatively narrow tire on the 9.5" rim (I'm not too worried about curb rash)?

Tires and wheels mounted today! They did have to put a ton of weights on some of the wheels, and there was some slight interference between the inboard weights and the e-brake solenoid that we had to reposition.

Method 502s on Toyo Open Country A/T III on a stock Model Y Performance (no lift... yet).

View attachment 758670

View attachment 758667

View attachment 758668
Hi, do these wheels come with the lug nuts? The Method website suggest extended 14x1.5 lug nuts, but these don't look like it

I bought my wheels from 4 Wheel Parts - 502 Rally. My tire guy had no problem balancing them and I am using hub centric rings for the wheels, so hopefully that keeps potential vibrations down. I did look at the Toyo Open Country and BF Goodrich Trail Terrain but I liked that the Falken Wildpeak AT Trail is V rated. I had an issue with one of the Tesla TPMS sensors leaking at the valve stem seal, but once I can verify that I fixed the leak, I will get these wheels installed and report back here.

Do you have a link to the hub centric rings you used?

Since Tesla doesn’t let you enter a custom tire size, I think those of us going with the 255/55-R18s should set the car to the 21” wheel option as the overall tire size difference is half as bad as the 19” wheel option.

Stock 19” (255/45R19), diameter: 28.04” circumference: 88.09”
Stock 21” rear (275/35R21), diameter: 28.58” circumference: 89.79”
255/55R18: diameter: 29.04” circumference: 91.23”

This should minimize speed and mileage error.

Reactions: Detect and Noflash
Since Tesla doesn’t let you enter a custom tire size, I think those of us going with the 255/55-R18s should set the car to the 21” wheel option as the overall tire size difference is half as bad as the 19” wheel option.

Stock 19” (255/45R19), diameter: 28.04” circumference: 88.09”
Stock 21” rear (275/35R21), diameter: 28.58” circumference: 89.79”
255/55R18: diameter: 29.04” circumference: 91.23”

This should minimize speed and mileage error.
I'll give it a try. On the plus it turned my on screen car to have black rims "matching" my 18s. 😁

Reactions: itshamertime
Did the MPP 1.75 inch lift kit with rear camber arms. Nobody on my 1mile long unpaved road drives a car with 6.6 inches or less clearance, at least for long. Gotta get over the berms and through snow drifts, and lots of logging roads to explore.

Found a local guy who has lifted "almost anything you can imagine" but, until now, not a Tesla (not many here to play with). He was game. I wanted a certified mechanic to do the work, and although I am capable I wanted to be able to say that much in the future if need be.

Nobody here would align it. "If I make a mistake the car will put itself in limp mode and you'll have to have it towed." Called a couple of places in Boise who also turned me down. Then called Tesla Boise, who kindly agreed to align if I signed a waiver (understandable). And it came back in spec, happily!

Specs:

1656617641312.png

It drives just like before. Looks fine, I think, although maybe slightly greater diameter tires when the time comes...

1656617730810.png

Thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: Skavatar and Atraf
Methods now ready. Good call @gr8tdane24 on powder coating the center caps!

Installing on Toyo Open Country AT3s Friday. We'll see how ridiculous this thing looks on a Y Performance with stock ride height!

View attachment 757287
Hi Just got the same wheels for my car but hate the silver caps, do you have to remove the wheel to powder coat?!

Attachments

• Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 173
Hi Just got the same wheels for my car but hate the silver caps, do you have to remove the wheel to powder coat?!
No - you just need an allen wrench to remove the center cap screws - you can leave the wheels on the car. Prior to powdercoating, the plastic inserts in the center caps need to be removed and can be done pretty easily by gently pushing on the locking tabs on the back side. Make sure you use some blue loctite on the center cap screws when reinstalling.

No - you just need an allen wrench to remove the center cap screws - you can leave the wheels on the car. Prior to powdercoating, the plastic inserts in the center caps need to be removed and can be done pretty easily by gently pushing on the locking tabs on the back side. Make sure you use some blue loctite on the center cap screws when reinstalling.
Damn... I have no idea how to do that. How long does it usually take to do (drying and all). Wondering if I can just see if someone can do it for me

Damn... I have no idea how to do that. How long does it usually take to do (drying and all). Wondering if I can just see if someone can do it for me
Just to be clear, I didn't powerdercoat them myself - it requires specialized equipment and a large oven for curing. The powdercoating shop I used (Embee Performance in Santa Ana) has about a week turnaround. Removing and reinstalling the center caps is about a 5 minute job that pretty much anyone can do, as long as you have a set of allen wrenches.

Did the MPP 1.75 inch lift kit with rear camber arms. Nobody on my 1mile long unpaved road drives a car with 6.6 inches or less clearance, at least for long. Gotta get over the berms and through snow drifts, and lots of logging roads to explore.

Found a local guy who has lifted "almost anything you can imagine" but, until now, not a Tesla (not many here to play with). He was game. I wanted a certified mechanic to do the work, and although I am capable I wanted to be able to say that much in the future if need be.

Nobody here would align it. "If I make a mistake the car will put itself in limp mode and you'll have to have it towed." Called a couple of places in Boise who also turned me down. Then called Tesla Boise, who kindly agreed to align if I signed a waiver (understandable). And it came back in spec, happily!

Specs:

View attachment 823174

It drives just like before. Looks fine, I think, although maybe slightly greater diameter tires when the time comes...

View attachment 823176

Thoughts?
Its great, I would consider 255/55R18 tires (ex, Continental ExtreamContact DWS 06 Plus) on an 18" wheel (that is if you can find one with 1750lbs load rating)

@Mad Hungarian Any plans for say... EV01(+) FE01E(+)-1885-65BT+40C641 but with load rating of 1750lbs instead of 1576lbs? (and it does have the required clearance for performance Model Y break calipers, right?)

Reactions: DrGriz
Just to be clear, I didn't powerdercoat them myself - it requires specialized equipment and a large oven for curing. The powdercoating shop I used (Embee Performance in Santa Ana) has about a week turnaround. Removing and reinstalling the center caps is about a 5 minute job that pretty much anyone can do, as long as you have a set of allen wrenches.
Oh then that’s perfect. What was the cost?