Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20230412_164535.jpg

Attachments

• 20230412_164535.jpg
    20230412_164535.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 430
Here you go for alignment numbers. Interesting on my right rear before. Tire was slightly cupped and pulled under hard acceleration. Drives better now.
So why does Mountain Pass Performance "Highly Recommend" the Rear upper Camber Arms, if you can get good alignment without them?

So why does Mountain Pass Performance "Highly Recommend" the Rear upper Camber Arms, if you can get good alignment without them?
Here is the answer:

Design & Testing of the Tesla Model Y & Model 3 Lift Kit:​

In the process of designing this lift kit, we set out and tested different heights and determined the 1.75″ lift to be the maximum height without going too-far and excessively impacting suspension and driveline angles. Since the center of gravity is so low due to the battery placement, handling and safety are still as you’d expect from a sporty sedan. That being said, when lifting the car this much it is recommended to add our rear camber arms to restore the negative camber back to the suggested range. A minimum of -0.7 degrees is advisable for safety. Particularly, insufficient rear camber can result in oversteer during evasive or emergency steering inputs. Additionally, the range will be mildly reduced as more air can travel underneath the car and the front of the tires have more exposure.

It varies from car to car, but some of them will end up with closer to 0 degrees of camber and no method of adjusting it. That is why we recommend them! I'd say around 65% of our lift kit customers include rear camber arms in their order.

Here is the answer:

Design & Testing of the Tesla Model Y & Model 3 Lift Kit:​

In the process of designing this lift kit, we set out and tested different heights and determined the 1.75″ lift to be the maximum height without going too-far and excessively impacting suspension and driveline angles. Since the center of gravity is so low due to the battery placement, handling and safety are still as you’d expect from a sporty sedan. That being said, when lifting the car this much it is recommended to add our rear camber arms to restore the negative camber back to the suggested range. A minimum of -0.7 degrees is advisable for safety. Particularly, insufficient rear camber can result in oversteer during evasive or emergency steering inputs. Additionally, the range will be mildly reduced as more air can travel underneath the car and the front of the tires have more exposure.

It varies from car to car, but some of them will end up with closer to 0 degrees of camber and no method of adjusting it. That is why we recommend them! I'd say around 65% of our lift kit customers include rear camber arms in their order.
@MountainPass have any recommended installers in Massachusetts?

I've got the 18" wheels on with the TPMS working, the Method502 tpms won't fit directly without a minor modification. Due to shipping, for the lift I opted for the rear camber arms, I'd like to have them and not need them than need them and not have them down under. Either way, the MPP lift kit is on order! Can't wait as it's been a long wait for Australia and the model Y.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-16 at 19.56.53.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-16 at 19.56.53.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Reactions: Atraf and Dave EV
Added an MPP lift kit last year. This week swapped out the OEM Contis for Nokian ONEs in 29 inch 255/50 R19.

The clean pic on the left is with the Contis, the dirty one on the left is with the Nokian ONE tires. I like the way the tires fill the wheel wells better. No rubbing, and so far the ride feels better, and in 50 miles haven't seen any significant effect on range that I can tell. We live on a dirt road that is always potholed. The pothole warranty and the 80K treadwear warranty will come in handy. The Contis were significantly worn after less than 15K. Also, Nokians have kevlar sidewalls which makes me very happy. Sidewall damage is not uncommon around here.

What is interesting as well is the Contis were a mile or so slower than the speedometer according to traffic radar and GPS. (Radar said 34 mph when speedometer said 35 mph). The taller ONEs are spot on, at least between 25 and 55 mph. Surprised me.

1682610313988.png

Added an MPP lift kit last year. This week swapped out the OEM Contis for Nokian ONEs in 29 inch 255/50 R19.

The clean pic on the left is with the Contis, the dirty one on the left is with the Nokian ONE tires. I like the way the tires fill the wheel wells better. No rubbing, and so far the ride feels better, and in 50 miles haven't seen any significant effect on range that I can tell. We live on a dirt road that is always potholed. The pothole warranty and the 80K treadwear warranty will come in handy. The Contis were significantly worn after less than 15K. Also, Nokians have kevlar sidewalls which makes me very happy. Sidewall damage is not uncommon around here.

What is interesting as well is the Contis were a mile or so slower than the speedometer according to traffic radar and GPS. (Radar said 34 mph when speedometer said 35 mph). The taller ONEs are spot on, at least between 25 and 55 mph. Surprised me.

View attachment 932369
i had the same experience going up to 29" tires after a lift (and 18" wheels ... 235/60R18 winter tires)... the speedo seemed right on with the larger OD

Reactions: DrGriz

View attachment 932369
do those mud flaps on the front help keep snow off the underside of the car? i may have to get some

i had the same experience going up to 29" tires after a lift (and 18" wheels ... 235/60R18 winter tires)... the speedo seemed right on with the larger OD
Makes you wonder why that is. It seems like the range measurement, unless it isn't tied to the speedometer, would under-report with the stock sized tires.
In other words, reported range should improve. We'll see.

do those mud flaps on the front help keep snow off the underside of the car? i may have to get some
They keep gravel from hitting the rocker panel in front of the rear wheels. Not much more than that. We had major snow this year and the buildup in the wheel wells and rockers was a pain to keep up with. It actually built up on top of the aero panel/"skid plate" and broke it at one of the major bolts. My next project is to replace the skid plate with MPPs aluminum one. Hopefully will be better.

Reactions: Dave EV and gt2690b
They keep gravel from hitting the rocker panel in front of the rear wheels. Not much more than that. We had major snow this year and the buildup in the wheel wells and rockers was a pain to keep up with. It actually built up on top of the aero panel/"skid plate" and broke it at one of the major bolts. My next project is to replace the skid plate with MPPs aluminum one. Hopefully will be better.
bummer.. i'm sort of at a loss as to why snow seems to build up more on the tesla than on an ICE car.. maybe the gas engine / exhaust heat keeps it at bay and theres just not as much surface area under there to stick to

bummer.. i'm sort of at a loss as to why snow seems to build up more on the tesla than on an ICE car.. maybe the gas engine / exhaust heat keeps it at bay and theres just not as much surface area under there to stick to
That's exactly what I think. That hot exhaust system melts the snow and clears the underside. We had a lot of cold for several weeks and that kept it from melting. A heated garage would be better, I suppose. I don't know if a metal aero plate will be better or worse. Maybe breaking saved some components above the aero plate. ☹️

That's exactly what I think. That hot exhaust system melts the snow and clears the underside. We had a lot of cold for several weeks and that kept it from melting. A heated garage would be better, I suppose. I don't know if a metal aero plate will be better or worse. Maybe breaking saved some components above the aero plate. ☹️
i've had tons of arguments with people about ICE vs. EV's and how EV's can be great commuter AND road trip cars...

the only thing i can concede is that nothing beats gas for heat