Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted, smaller wheels, bigger tires - update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted in a few other threads about lifting my MY, putting on 18" wheels and larger diameter tires. I have 1500-2000 miles on the new setup now, and thought I'd post an update in case anyone else is considering it. First - here's a photo - nice and dirty like I like it.

20201030_110257.jpg

It's got the MPP lift kit, 18" Black Rhino Wheels and 245/60/18 Vikingcontact 7's for winter.

Since the photo, it's dumped about 2 feet of snow. The tires plus off road assist have been amazing. Off-road assist isn't needed too much, but we do live up a mile long, twisty, gravel hill that does not get plowed too regularly - so it's come in handy. The car handles the crappy weather like a champ.

Before the upgrades I was averaging between 270-280 Wh/mi and now it's more like 330... some of that's due to larger diameter tires (5%) so the computer is a bit off because I go more miles than it calculates. Some of that's due to having winter tires. Some of that's due to the lift being less aero. Some of that's due to the temp being in the 30s not in the 60s.

Overall I'm super happy. It meets our needs of being a touch more capable given the roads around here... we also use it a bunch for hiking, skiing, MTBing, fat biking etc... so the little extra clearance is welcomed.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case it helps anyone. Happy to answer questions.

I thought about wrapping it - but didn't want to spend the $4k only to have the wrap get dirty so you can't see it. This isn't a show car for me to make videos of on YouTube - it's my daily driver. I haven't wrapped my Subaru or big ole van either.... haven't had issues. Maybe I'll regret it? But I'll deal with that when I have to deal with that.

As I posted above, I used the MPP lift kit, 18" Black Rhino wheels, and 245/60/18 Vikingcontact 7s. More specifically the wheels are Black Rhino Mozambiques in matte black.

I thought about wrapping it - but didn't want to spend the $4k only to have the wrap get dirty so you can't see it. This isn't a show car for me to make videos of on YouTube - it's my daily driver. I haven't wrapped my Subaru or big ole van either.... haven't had issues. Maybe I'll regret it? But I'll deal with that when I have to deal with that.

Man I wish I could learn this mindset. Its a car, that gets dirty, gets scratches, etc... how much does that really affect your value? Probably not alot, or you can at least compound alot of them out before you sell. I know these as facts, and still can't help myself from wanting it super clean.

Man I wish I could learn this mindset. Its a car, that gets dirty, gets scratches, etc... how much does that really affect your value? Probably not alot, or you can at least compound alot of them out before you sell. I know these as facts, and still can't help myself from wanting it super clean.

There's a few things that pushed me that way 1) natural laziness I'd be washing it every time I drive it! 2) I live in a small mountain town and feel enough like a city boy with a Tesla, so a dirty Tesla makes me a little less out of place 3) I'm planning to drive it for a long time, so hopefully it won't matter much.

But to each their own. I sometimes get jealous of other people's shiny fast big wheeled MY performances... It's just not practical for me at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19 and Nakk
I posted in a few other threads about lifting my MY, putting on 18" wheels and larger diameter tires. I have 1500-2000 miles on the new setup now, and thought I'd post an update in case anyone else is considering it. First - here's a photo - nice and dirty like I like it.

View attachment 611310

It's got the MPP lift kit, 18" Black Rhino Wheels and 245/60/18 Vikingcontact 7's for winter.

Since the photo, it's dumped about 2 feet of snow. The tires plus off road assist have been amazing. Off-road assist isn't needed too much, but we do live up a mile long, twisty, gravel hill that does not get plowed too regularly - so it's come in handy. The car handles the crappy weather like a champ.

Before the upgrades I was averaging between 270-280 Wh/mi and now it's more like 330... some of that's due to larger diameter tires (5%) so the computer is a bit off because I go more miles than it calculates. Some of that's due to having winter tires. Some of that's due to the lift being less aero. Some of that's due to the temp being in the 30s not in the 60s.

Overall I'm super happy. It meets our needs of being a touch more capable given the roads around here... we also use it a bunch for hiking, skiing, MTBing, fat biking etc... so the little extra clearance is welcomed.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case it helps anyone. Happy to answer questions.

I like your style. That’s what I want to do when mine is delivered. I’m not a drop and gloss guy. Mine will get dirty from Mtb/hockey gear/ fats and dogs will be filthy. any other recommendations on different rims? I noticed the rhino’s. They look niiiiiiice.

I like your style. That’s what I want to do when mine is delivered. I’m not a drop and gloss guy. Mine will get dirty from Mtb/hockey gear/ fats and dogs will be filthy. any other recommendations on different rims? I noticed the rhino’s. They look niiiiiiice.
I was skittish looking at 18" rims not knowing if they'd fit over the brakes... But the shop I worked with had fit some other Black Rhino rotary forged wheels on a Model Y... So they were confident. I didn't look at too many other options... There's always Martian wheels which are super light weight and more expensive. But they look more like car wheels, and the Black Rhino line is "truck-ier." I chose these because they are decently light and "affordable" and I liked the way they look. But black rhino has a bunch of other styles too... These are the "Mozambique" wheel.... My only advice is look out for the load rating on wheels... The MY is heavy for an average 18" car wheel. For example the Model 3 18" wheels don't have enough load rating for my comfort, especially since I'm going on gravel, rutty roads.

• Funny
Reactions: Mtb2020
Here is my Winter wheel and tire setup, just installed and aligned yesterday by Electrified Garage in Seabrook, NH. I have the MPP lift, Cooper Discoverer True North 245/55 R18 tires, and TSW Nurburgring 18x9 +32mm wheels. The pics don’t show that well how beefy the car looks now. I live in a rural area with a lot of dirt roads, including the last couple miles from town to my house, which is at the top of a mile long hill gaining 750 ft over that mile. When it rains hard or after a snow melt period, the road turns into a mudding course, with 4 to 8 inch ruts forming across the entire road until the town has a chance to blade it off even again. I was very happy how the tires handled the mud this morning while making an early trip to the store.

Cornering on pavement doesnt seem substantially affected with the softer tread and slightly narrower tire. The car is so buttoned down and has such a high grip level already that I have to be going way way the speed limit before feeling it approach the grip limit.

Tire noise is much worse than the stock Contis. Compared to the Forester I had before the Y, The Y is still so much quieter overall. But, tire noise is much more noticeable without a boxer engine screaming the entire time.

I still need to drive a few more highway miles to know the efficiency impact with this setup. My 100 mile trip back home from the shop required 400 Wh/mi, but that was 75-80 mph average speed, and I had a Kuat rack on the back in the flipped up position, which was catching wind like a sail. I used the rack to carry the tires down since the interior was stuffed with the wheels in boxes.

The 40 mph trip into town required 300 Wh/mi, which is right around my average efficiency over the 1000 mi I have driven thus far. The temps have been cold since I took delivery of the car.

On the highway at 70-75 without a bike rack, I am anticipating 350 Wh/mi, which is fine given the availability of superchargers in the region.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with a similar setup to Tipk99.

Thanks again to Electrified Garage and EV Tuning for the outstanding service to get this car set up to handle the roads and Winter out here!

Attachments

• FE5497B3-BC8D-4248-91E3-5B791ABF430B.jpeg
    FE5497B3-BC8D-4248-91E3-5B791ABF430B.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 719
  • B93B3933-0BBA-461B-8270-60A7F533CDBF.jpeg
    B93B3933-0BBA-461B-8270-60A7F533CDBF.jpeg
    760.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 1CC44A4A-735C-46C3-AE21-C1C5E1D8D967.jpeg
    1CC44A4A-735C-46C3-AE21-C1C5E1D8D967.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 536
I was skittish looking at 18" rims not knowing if they'd fit over the brakes... But the shop I worked with had fit some other Black Rhino rotary forged wheels on a Model Y... So they were confident. I didn't look at too many other options... There's always Martian wheels which are super light weight and more expensive. But they look more like car wheels, and the Black Rhino line is "truck-ier." I chose these because they are decently light and "affordable" and I liked the way they look. But black rhino has a bunch of other styles too... These are the "Mozambique" wheel.... My only advice is look out for the load rating on wheels... The MY is heavy for an average 18" car wheel. For example the Model 3 18" wheels don't have enough load rating for my comfort, especially since I'm going on gravel, rutty roads.

I love the look of these wheels. Been looking around for a couple weeks for 18in wheels for the MY LR I have on order. I also like that these have a fairly high load rating. Do you know how your shop got around the center bore difference? I think MYs have a 64.1 mm center bore, while your rims seem to be 76 mm (if I'm looking at the right part number on their site 1885MZA355114M76). TBH I'm new to the aftermarket wheel game, so I'm not sure it matters, just curious if you knew offhand. I'd love to order these.

Thanks!

Gillfoto - Did you ever find a place to install your lift? Where did you order the rims from and if you mind what did you pay for the set? Every time I find a set of rims it costs 1/2 the price of the rims just to ship it up to me.

Tipk99 - First, that isn't dirty ;) - I've had numerous cars in Alaska get so dirty you couldn't tell the color of the vehicle. (I hate it, but like you said, it is what it is) Also, looks like you could put an even bigger tire on after the lift? You are making me feel better about my slick condition driving. A Ford Explorer we had and our current Jeep do really well with winter tires so hopefully the Y does just as good.

I ordered a blue Y as well...

I have the same issue - I live up a mountain - we don't salt our roads and they eventually get plowed, but they also get sanded. Lots of people run chains on our roads, which makes them washboarded... Pretty sure Gillfoto knows this all too well - although not sure how Juneau takes care of their roads?

FWIW - After going through numerous brands and sets of winter tires (Blizzak, Coopers, Firestones, Michelin) - my current go to Tire are Nokians - and if I can get Hakka R9 studded, even better. I'll take the other models of Nokians regardless...

Reactions: RedRocket83
Gillfoto - Did you ever find a place to install your lift? Where did you order the rims from and if you mind what did you pay for the set? Every time I find a set of rims it costs 1/2 the price of the rims just to ship it up to me.

Tipk99 - First, that isn't dirty ;) - I've had numerous cars in Alaska get so dirty you couldn't tell the color of the vehicle. (I hate it, but like you said, it is what it is) Also, looks like you could put an even bigger tire on after the lift? You are making me feel better about my slick condition driving. A Ford Explorer we had and our current Jeep do really well with winter tires so hopefully the Y does just as good.

I ordered a blue Y as well...

I have the same issue - I live up a mountain - we don't salt our roads and they eventually get plowed, but they also get sanded. Lots of people run chains on our roads, which makes them washboarded... Pretty sure Gillfoto knows this all too well - although not sure how Juneau takes care of their roads?

FWIW - After going through numerous brands and sets of winter tires (Blizzak, Coopers, Firestones, Michelin) - my current go to Tire are Nokians - and if I can get Hakka R9 studded, even better. I'll take the other models of Nokians regardless...
I have the Lift Kit but have not seriously pursued an installer, due to Festivities. Les Schwab ($2800) did it all (wheels and rims) except I bought the TPMS set from Tesla ($300). All the best, stay Safe and Healthy.

Here is my Winter wheel and tire setup, just installed and aligned yesterday by Electrified Garage in Seabrook, NH. I have the MPP lift, Cooper Discoverer True North 245/55 R18 tires, and TSW Nurburgring 18x9 +32mm wheels. The pics don’t show that well how beefy the car looks now. I live in a rural area with a lot of dirt roads, including the last couple miles from town to my house, which is at the top of a mile long hill gaining 750 ft over that mile. When it rains hard or after a snow melt period, the road turns into a mudding course, with 4 to 8 inch ruts forming across the entire road until the town has a chance to blade it off even again. I was very happy how the tires handled the mud this morning while making an early trip to the store.

Cornering on pavement doesnt seem substantially affected with the softer tread and slightly narrower tire. The car is so buttoned down and has such a high grip level already that I have to be going way way the speed limit before feeling it approach the grip limit.

Tire noise is much worse than the stock Contis. Compared to the Forester I had before the Y, The Y is still so much quieter overall. But, tire noise is much more noticeable without a boxer engine screaming the entire time.

I still need to drive a few more highway miles to know the efficiency impact with this setup. My 100 mile trip back home from the shop required 400 Wh/mi, but that was 75-80 mph average speed, and I had a Kuat rack on the back in the flipped up position, which was catching wind like a sail. I used the rack to carry the tires down since the interior was stuffed with the wheels in boxes.

The 40 mph trip into town required 300 Wh/mi, which is right around my average efficiency over the 1000 mi I have driven thus far. The temps have been cold since I took delivery of the car.

On the highway at 70-75 without a bike rack, I am anticipating 350 Wh/mi, which is fine given the availability of superchargers in the region.

Anyway, just thought I would share my experience with a similar setup to Tipk99.

Thanks again to Electrified Garage and EV Tuning for the outstanding service to get this car set up to handle the roads and Winter out here!

What did you do with the rocker panels - paint or something on top? Anything done up front or rear?