Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted the wiper arms by accident - Are they now broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was putting on a windshield coating, so I put the wipers in service mode and then tried to lift the arms up all the way (90-degree angle).

Now I didn't know until I read later from the service guide, that you aren't supposed to tilt the arms all the way, but rather just few degrees to allow getting the blades out. I anyways tilted them the whole way, felt a little resistance, continued anyways and then a small metal pieces crack off from the arm. The wipers still seem to be working fine but should I take them serviced anyways?

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 15.08.47.png

You'll see a similar warning in the manual of ANY vehicle ever made. Remember, other than the drive train and a few other components, Tesla's are the same as every vehicle on the road. Brakes, wipers, tires,... Etc and they don't need to be treated like an eggshell.

You'll see a similar warning in the manual of ANY vehicle ever made. Remember, other than the drive train and a few other components, Tesla's are the same as every vehicle on the road. Brakes, wipers, tires,... Etc and they don't need to be treated like an eggshell.
I'd be inclined to agree with you, ad the OP not stated. "felt a little resistance, continued anyways and then a small metal pieces crack off from the arm"

To the OP - I would have it serviced. The last thing you need is for one of your wiper blades to turn into a spear for whomever is behind you the next time you're driving at highway speeds.

Reactions: AZAV8R
I did this on a Model S without thinking… those have a strong spring attached to a c-clip. The c-clip is barely more than 90 degrees at each end. It will fly off when you over lift the arm. If you are lucky and find the spring and the clip (and didn’t crack your windshield). It can be reattached after removing the arm from the car. I suspect the model 3 arm is similar, but learned my lesson and haven’t had to check…

I personally think the MS arm could be lifted up without breaking if the c-clip fully trapped the spring. Wouldn’t be expensive to have some made…