Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate adjustment DIY info on 2023 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

8508700496_6928a3822b_b.jpg

"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
My liftgate was badly misaligned from the factory in every possible direction, and my Service Center refused to fix the issue, along with most other build quality issues with my car. I am going to have to accept that this $100K car just does not come with a bumper to bumper factory warranty.

So I decided to fix the liftgate myself, as I have done with most of the build issues, and I am happy to share what I learned, which is a lot. Since most people on this forum don't seem like the type that would take on such a daunting task, I won't go to the effort to make a big DIY, but I'll share some bullet points and be happy to answer any questions that come up.

Here are key bullet points:

- The factory service manual that you can download from Tesla has not been updated completely for the refresh model, but it's still somewhat useful to review
- The hinge bolts into the liftgate control the height, the hinge bolts into the body control left/right alignment and forward and backward.
- The manual shows removing the back glass to be able to access the bolts for the hinge. The headliner near the back of the car needs to be pulled down to access those nuts.
- I was able to loosen and tighten the bolts without removing the glass by using a torx socket held by a small vice grip to grab the exposed portion of the bolts. Only a 1/2 turn is enough to loosen the bolts to adjust that part of the hinge.
- I was able to remove a minimum of the interior to be able to pull down the headliner enough to get a power ratchet to loosen and tighten those nuts. You need to remove the side seat bolsters, the side panels, and the panel around the seat belt. There are 10mm bolts holding the headliner in along with the normal push pins.
- Most important: You must remove the struts on the left and right to have any hope to adjust the hinges. Those struts put too much force on the liftgate to be able to force the hinges into place. Fine hinge adjustment becomes easy when the struts are removed.
- I used a sturdy wooden stick, cut to size, to hold up the liftgate while doing the work. I put a microfiber towel on top of the stick to protect the decklid I did it all by myself, so it can be done with one person even though it's really a 3 person job.
- Unless you take the glass off and really remove the headliner, the adjustment process is iterative where you move the hinges and check and then adjust again. This job would have been incredibly simple to get right in the factory with the back glass off and before the interior is added. Amazing disregard for quality that they don't bother to make sure the liftgate is correct at that stage.
- Start with getting the height correct before doing the left and right and forward and backward adjustments. The left and right height also slightly affects the forward and backward adjustment.
- In my case, there is no way to get the liftgate to fit 100% correctly m because of the poor build quality of the body and the liftgate itself. Clearly some of their robots need to be fired. But if that is the case with your car, there are compromises that can be made to make it fit well enough where no one will notice.
- While adjusting the forward and backward of the hinge, be very careful that the back glass and the pano glass do not hit each other and you end up with both broken.
- I needed to also adjust the latch striker position to fine tune the fit, which is very easy to do. Take care to check the clearance around the bottom of the liftgate and the bumper. In my case, lining up perfectly with the fenders caused interference with the bumper and body near the taillights.

No doubt it's an intimidating task for a DIY'er, which is clearly why my lazy Service Center squirmed out of standing behind their product. The job is definitely one of those that most will tell you to leave to a professional, but if you are handy and super meticulous and careful, you can do it too. I am sure if I took it to a body shop, they would insist to remove the back glass and more of the interior, and it would become a very large bill with probably more problems created than fixed.

View attachment 916229
"Tesla Model S" by cdorobek is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

In the attached service document for adjusting liftgate alignment, figure 12 shows lateral adjustment, not just height. In my case, I just need to left the upper left portion of the liftgate by 1 or 2 mm. I'm assuming that the "height" adjustment requires some sort of shim between the liftgate and the hinge?

Attachments

• SB-13-11-008_Adjusting_Hinges_for_Liftgate_Alignment.pdf
    937.2 KB · Views: 25
It's remarkably compact.

1/4" low profile breaker:
20240412_110918.jpg_compressed.JPEG

Can even use a crows foot with a 3/8" torque wrench when tightening back up. No, the head isn't touching the paint and yes it will all be 3m masked off before I actually do it. And yes I know how to calculate the torque correction based on the radius extension introduced by using the crows foot.

20240412_114103.jpg_compressed.JPEG

@TLLMRRJ, one last question: For the hinge bolts into the liftgate that control the height - I was able to get an E6 torx socket per your guidance. To loosen those bolts, am I correct in my plan that I must turn them clockwise with the torx socket, since I think I am turning the end portion of the bolt? Then, I turn them back a half-turn counterclockwise to tighten the bolt again in the liftgate-side hinge? These are of course the opposite directions when typically tightening or loosening a bolt. Thank you again!

E5. If you use E6, you'll probably strip the splines.

I'm just trying to adjust the left hinge. Left strut off. Door hoisted open. Both E5 ends loosened about a half turn. Couldn't get any movement so I loosened a full turn and I can see the hinge plate rocking on the top of the liftgate as I try and move the door to raise the height of the left side of the liftgate just an 8th of an inch. But it won't budge. Hinge rocks so I can see it's loose.

20240412_180916.jpg_compressed.JPEG

20240412_182026.jpg_compressed.JPEG

I tried lowering the door a little hoping the angle might make a difference. The remaining strut on the side I'm not trying to adjust pushes up harder and should be pushing the left (drivers side down on the hinge) which would result in an elevated height (the goal) when closed. It's like something inside is blocking the bolt from moving.

I gave a warning in my previous posts about trying to make adjustments with struts attached. Remove the other strut and try again.

I did and it wasn't that. And if you think about it, there's no way it could have ever been that. I moved the support almost all the way to the right. Made no difference. Popped the second strut off. Made no difference.

The problem, as it turns out, is the liftgate glass is making contact with the frame when open. I can see where it's scraped through the paint when I shine a flashlight in the gap between the roof glass and the liftgate glass.

As soon as I lowered it about a foot, the door slid on the hinge to the the point that I wanted it but I dared not leave it there as the liftgate glass would crack when opening back up. I used a feeler gauge where it's scraping the paint when open and there's no clearance. In fact, I believe it's already preventing the liftgate from opening fully. The edge of the glass is rough where it's been scraping the paint.

It goes in on Tuesday for a full roof replacement. I'm going to show them the worn through paint and zero clearance when open and ask them to fix it which means taking the glass off (breaks half the time) and either reseating or replacing it. The glass gap isn't even all the way around. It's far larger on the backside than the sides so it's clear the glass was installed too far towards the roof.

The liftgate is getting painted at Brooks in Fremont after the roof glass gets replaced so it would be best for them to sort that out first as there's a good chance they'll damage the paint that's already going to be redone.

Last edited: