Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate close button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have a liftgate close button, is it always illuminated? I find that if the first thing I do is open the back to load something, it doesn't illuminate, so I'm poking around in the dark trying to find it. But other times, if I've just parked, then it is illuminated. I'm thinking it should always be on when open.

Certainly not a huge issue, just one of those little things.

If you have a liftgate close button, is it always illuminated? I find that if the first thing I do is open the back to load something, it doesn't illuminate, so I'm poking around in the dark trying to find it. But other times, if I've just parked, then it is illuminated. I'm thinking it should always be on when open.

Certainly not a huge issue, just one of those little things.
I've never noticed mine not lit, I'll have to pay more attention.

Might be lit when the taillights are lit. I can't remember it ever being lit. But if your handles just auto-presented the parking lights come on so maybe there's bleed from them. This is all complete speculation as I didn't feel like heading down to the parking lot to run a series of tests.

I just walked out to test mine in the garage. As I walked up, door handles presented and the exterior entry lights came on including light above license plate. I opened hatch and close button was lit.

Tonight I walked out to the garage. Immediately the door handles presented and the parking lights and taillights were lit. The first thing I did was manually open the rear hatch. Immediately the parking lights and taillights went dark. The door handles were still presented and the door handle lights were still lit. The close button was not lit. So, the close button may indeed be tied to the taillights. But why did they go dark?

No one can reproduce this?

Tonight I walked out to the garage. Immediately the door handles presented and the parking lights and taillights were lit. The first thing I did was manually open the rear hatch. Immediately the parking lights and taillights went dark. The door handles were still presented and the door handle lights were still lit. The close button was not lit. So, the close button may indeed be tied to the taillights. But why did they go dark?

No one can reproduce this?

I just went out to my 90D built 9/2015. Door handles extended with their lights, and parking, tail and rear license lights came on as I approached. I manually opened the rear hatch: Parking, tail and rear license lights went out, but my door handles with their lights and "hatch auto close" button remained ON.

IMHO, you either have a special MS, or you have a minor anomaly with the light on your hatch button to add to your list for the next SC visit. Good luck.

I emailed my DES about something else so I mentioned this too. He says he went out on the lot and tried it and had the same results I did, so "it does not look like it's a fault of your vehicle". Of course I still think it's wrong, no matter how many vehicles he finds which do this - I'm standing right here, leave the lights ON.

I'll check mine. I hate the way you have to wait after the lid is open for a couple seconds before you can push the button for it to shut. If you hit it too quick it just beeps at you. Stupid. A lot of times I just want to crack it open, sling something in the trunk and then go. But I have to wait for it to fully open. Then wait another couple seconds. Then I can push the close button.

I'll check mine. I hate the way you have to wait after the lid is open for a couple seconds before you can push the button for it to shut. If you hit it too quick it just beeps at you. Stupid. A lot of times I just want to crack it open, sling something in the trunk and then go. But I have to wait for it to fully open. Then wait another couple seconds. Then I can push the close button.
Does this also happen if you manually open the lift gate but close it with close it with the button? I don't have my Tesla yet so I can't try it. Should be getting it before EOY but wanting to know its behavior beforehand.

Does this also happen if you manually open the lift gate but close it with close it with the button? I don't have my Tesla yet so I can't try it. Should be getting it before EOY but wanting to know its behavior beforehand.

Part of this is that if you have the push-button close trunk, pressing the button during opening is coded to stop it at that point rather than opening the rest of the way. Thus, it could be that DoctorJJ's trunk actually hasn't finished opening all the way or there is a slight delay after opening for the trunk to "settle" before it's ready to accept it has finished opening.