Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifting pucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea why Tesla doesn’t include lifting pads with the car so that new owners are not caught off guard ? Or better yet why can’t they design the car with lifting pads as part of the chassis ?
All cars have specific jack points which are reinforced for safety. Tesla works the same but has a specific layout for the pads , there are other manufacturers using pads, they are just different layout. Today's vehicles don't include spare or jack, certainly won't include pads, making the pads part of the chassis probably have some challenges and have to think about repair and clearance.

All cars have specific jack points which are reinforced for safety. Tesla works the same but has a specific layout for the pads , there are other manufacturers using pads, they are just different layout. Today's vehicles don't include spare or jack, certainly won't include pads, making the pads part of the chassis probably have some challenges and have to think about repair and clearance.
I just think it would be a nice gesture if Tesla included the pads in the glovebox. I suspect many a new owner will get surprised to go for a tire repair and is refused because he did not know to buy them.

I just think it would be a nice gesture if Tesla included the pads in the glovebox. I suspect many a new owner will get surprised to go for a tire repair and is refused because he did not know to buy them.
Yea, although Tesla is a volume manufacturer but in some smaller cities, it is still too new. Tire shops just don't want the hassle to deal with it. Bmw, mb, audi also use pads but none of them come with the vehicles. I used to carry a set in the back but now all the tire shops around me have their own. In reality, a small puck should provide enough clearance for the jack..

Having owned four Teslas (yeah, I know you've heard it before) I have never in a dozen years needed a jack pad. When I get my tires changed, I find that the shops all have a set ready to use so why would I need to have a set? But I have been known to jack up my car on occasion without any jack pad, and surprisingly, my car didn't break in half or end up with a buckling of the metal around the doors, either. I can almost guarantee that 99% of all Teslas on the road will not be carrying a set of jack pads.

Doesn't mean I don't get a flat now and then, but the car displays the tire pressure, and even notifies me if one tire is lower than the rest. Nearly always I use a plug kit to repair the puncture, which will last the life of the tire, and doesn't require that the tire is even removed from the car, much less pulled from the rim. The foam liner has never interfered with the plug, either.

Reactions: CyberGus
Having owned four Teslas (yeah, I know you've heard it before) I have never in a dozen years needed a jack pad. When I get my tires changed, I find that the shops all have a set ready to use so why would I need to have a set? But I have been known to jack up my car on occasion without any jack pad, and surprisingly, my car didn't break in half or end up with a buckling of the metal around the doors, either. I can almost guarantee that 99% of all Teslas on the road will not be carrying a set of jack pads.

Doesn't mean I don't get a flat now and then, but the car displays the tire pressure, and even notifies me if one tire is lower than the rest. Nearly always I use a plug kit to repair the puncture, which will last the life of the tire, and doesn't require that the tire is even removed from the car, much less pulled from the rim. The foam liner has never interfered with the plug, either.
What do you use as the plug kit to repair the puncture?

A competent shop can lift a Tesla without difficulty.

I think the popularity of the pucks was due to Teslas being new and different. Incorrect jacking on an ICE car can damage some sheet metal, but accidentally jacking the HV pack is a $20,000 mistake.

Reactions: DrGriz

Yeah, thats not happening (refuse to repair a tire because a person doesnt have lifting pucks)... or has that happened to you? like a lot of other things with Teslas, people make out stuff to be mandatory that isnt, and next thing you know something is "a problem" when people havent even experienced it.

Someone might refuse to repair a tire for some other reason but it isnt going to be because someone doesnt have lifting pucks, not anyplace someone would want touching their car, anyway.

Reactions: CyberGus
I keep a set in the trunk. Never know what jack you might end up with on the side of the road or tire place on a road trip that isn't aware of the design.
I've got a set of these in my trunk too. Amazon.com: 1409KMT 4PCS Tesla Model 3 Jack Lift Pad Adapter Aluminum for All Tesla Model 3 - Safely Raising Vehicle - Protects Car Jack from Damaging Tesla Battery : Automotive
Used them the first and last time I rotated my tires. Very solid, did not stink (as reported by some other brands,) and very stable.

Yeah, thats not happening (refuse to repair a tire because a person doesnt have lifting pucks)... or has that happened to you? like a lot of other things with Teslas, people make out stuff to be mandatory that isnt, and next thing you know something is "a problem" when people havent even experienced it.

Someone might refuse to repair a tire for some other reason but it isnt going to be because someone doesnt have lifting pucks, not anyplace someone would want touching their car, anyway.
Local tire shop refused to replace a fiat tire without the pucks. He did not have any and was concerned about damage with his lift. Luckily I was able to get a friend to stop by with his. Too bad they can’t engineer something integrated with the underbody so this would never be a problem. I ending up buying a set though.

Local tire shop refused to replace a fiat tire without the pucks. He did not have any and was concerned about damage with his lift. Luckily I was able to get a friend to stop by with his. Too bad they can’t engineer something integrated with the underbody so this would never be a problem. I ending up buying a set though.

Thats interesting. I have had (3) flat tires on the road with my model 3P, and each time a random towtruck company (contracted by tesla) came out and put a loaner wheel on for me, and the first two times I did not have pucks or anything and they didnt care or mention it.

After those 2 times I bought a set, but it certainly didnt seem mandatory to me. Perhaps its due to the density of teslas here.

Thats interesting. I have had (3) flat tires on the road with my model 3P, and each time a random towtruck company (contracted by tesla) came out and put a loaner wheel on for me, and the first two times I did not have pucks or anything and they didnt care or mention it.

After those 2 times I bought a set, but it certainly didnt seem mandatory to me. Perhaps its due to the density of teslas here.
I think you are right. In Canada it seems Teslas are still rare except close to major cities.

I guess you know how to properly jack up a Tesla better than Tesla. You probably have the cheap plastic pucks from Amazon that get squished under the weight of the car making them useless.
I literally posted a section from the Tesla service manual a few months ago on this topic. The 1 second version is "lift pads". We all assume that Tesla already has these lift pads (since in the service manual context is that they are talking about a 2 post lift) that are set to a optimal height so they can lift a car with out needing to check for clearance issues with the jack point contacting things in the immediate area, nor the arms of the post lift themselves impacting something (ie, when the door swings open). For the people who have used a lift before, they will be familiar with how these lift arms have essentially a puck on the lifting point and can be adjusted in height.

As for the quality of these useless pucks, the pucks I have are super solid (pretty sure they are made from the same ABS they are using lift arm pucks I was mentioning above). I would trust these more then a block of hardwood the old timers still use. Furthermore the pucks I have provide a frame centering pin so you know your jack point is exactly centered to where it needs to be on the car. Not to mention the puck diameter fits in my jack cup almost perfectly helping to keep the jack from walking its self out from the car while lifting it.

So net... Yeah, these are pretty stupid and you shouldn't use them in any situation.