Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifting the Y question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I need to change tires at a local shop. Im not sure if they know anything about Teslas or what lifts they use. I have jack pad pucks. If I stick them on before I drive over the lift, would I be safe? Or should I be doing something else.

These are the pucks I need.

712tSdTGK1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Don't stick them on your car, as they'll fall off. Just bring your pucks and GIS the lift point guide on your phone, make sure they see the lift point pic. If they don't already have pucks or have a lift that doesn't have flats then give them your pucks.

Both the mobile service guy and the Tesla service center associates told me they don’t use the pucks, and that we don’t need them, either. The mobile guy said you can place your low profile jack near that hole the puck would be inserted and simply lift the car with no extra strain or damage to the battery or the structural integrity. I now change my own 18"s and 19"s when the seasons here change and use no pucks. I always look after to verify zero issues. I’ll take two service technicians advice after seeing them not use jack pads with my own eyes.

Both the mobile service guy and the Tesla service center associates told me they don’t use the pucks, and that we don’t need them, either. The mobile guy said you can place your low profile jack near that hole the puck would be inserted and simply lift the car with no extra strain or damage to the battery or the structural integrity. I now change my own 18"s and 19"s when the seasons here change and use no pucks. I always look after to verify zero issues. I’ll take two service technicians advice after seeing them not use jack pads with my own eyes.
The pucks have never been required. They are however helpful for locating the lift points which are keyed (puck) and flat. Since they are flat you can use the flats on a lift. If the lift has pads then you use the pucks. Knowing where the safe lift points are is more important than anything, hence the pucks force one into using the right lift point.

Reactions: DrGriz
I would call around to local tire shops and ask if they service Tesla. I did this and probed shops that said they did. When one local Tire Kingdom said they have the pucks and guides for wheel torques etc (without me asking), I took my car to them.

Let the shop who knows what they're doing deal with the car. It makes your experience headache free.