Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftoff! Book by Eric Berger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incredible book, thank you very much for the recommendation. Now I'm doing my biology homework and reading this book because it's incredibly interesting. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

What???

upload_2021-2-25_18-20-59.png

Can I borrow your time machine please?

So, I finally finished it, and entertaining read! Kind of a slow burn, just like Flacon 1 development. By the time I hit mid book, I couldn't put it down.

Berger made an interesting choice in that Elon is barely a character in the book. He gives the backstories and detailed exploits of pretty much everyone else who had a major part in Flacon 1, but only includes little quotes from Elon here and there about the current scene he is describing. Elon only becomes a character when Berger talks about the dire financial situation SpaceX was in after the failure of the third launch in 2008.

The reason for this is that the book mostly concentrates on the exploits taking place at either the launch site in the middle of the pacific, or at the MacGregor testing site. Very little attention is paid to the Los Angeles HQ where the rockets were designed.

This book is all about Falcon 1 and its five flights (four test/lost flights, and a little remembered fifth and final flight for a paying customer, Malaysia's planetary observation satellite, their first successful payload, and it was a commercial payload, something many people don't realize). Indeed, as the story progresses through 2007 and 2008, very little is mentioned about Falcon 9 development which SpaceX had pivoted to since they had won a $278M COTS contract in 2006 to design the Falcon 9.

The thing that saved SpaceX's bacon was the NASA CRS contract awarded December 22, 2008. And the successful fourth flight of Falcon 1 was probably a key part to winning that contract, or at least the book, maybe for dramatic reasons, makes it out to be.

When you've got an hour, excellent Q&A just released between Dave Lee and Eric. Focuses mainly on background stories for Liftoff.
I read Liftoff a year ago and found it fascinating. Listened to Dave Lee’s interview with Eric and the most interesting thing for me was Eric mentioning that he is thinking about another Space X-related book about reusable rockets; why they are so important and how SpaceX successfully developed the F9. Of course the story of Starship would be part of that. When that interview was recorded Eric did not have a book contract yet but I hope he does now.

Reactions: scaesare
Listened to Dave Lee’s interview with Eric and the most interesting thing for me was Eric mentioning that he is thinking about another Space X-related book about reusable rockets; why they are so important and how SpaceX successfully developed the F9. Of course the story of Starship would be part of that. When that interview was recorded Eric did not have a book contract yet but I hope he does now.
I emailed Eric yesterday asking if he was going to write such a book and he replied that the book was “in progress” and he hopes to see it published by early 2024!