Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light bar upgrade in Aus: suggestions & where have you mounted your switch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

After a few near misses with skippies late at night recently I'm considering a light bar for the model 3 for under the front bumper lip. The high beam I think is great for distance, but I'm looking for something to illuminate the roadsides - and the fog lights are helpful, but not enough.

If you've done the upgrade, can you recommend the light bar you chose and where did you mount the switch for yours?

I'm hoping for something similar to the effect of the Lazer Linear that Bjorn Nyland reviewed so I get a better view of where wallabies are grazing though I don't much like the system he has of flashing the lights multiple times to enable them, and Qld Transport requires a physical switch to isolate them regardless:

The lamp/s must be wired through a switch so they can only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are turned on, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off. The switch must be wired so that the driving lamps can be switched off while the main-beam headlamps remain on.
(from Vehicle Standards Instructions (Light 15.3) by Qld Transport)​

Thanks
Geoff

Most of my driving is urban so I'm not interested in a roo bar. Upgrading my lighting on prior vehicles means I've not struck one at speed and have avoided countless many. I've had two hit the car, but only glancing with no permanent damage to either my car nor skip.

On my drive out from a photo location after midnight 2 weeks ago I would normally have driven at reduced speed as I was, only I was surprised by a few leaping in from the shadows. Avoiding these surprises is my goal.

Complying with the regulation that the lights can only be switched on when the high beam is on is going to be tricky. There are no separate high beam lights and the high beam indicator is virtual on the screen. Perhaps a circuit tapped into the headlight driver to detect the drive current or modulation percent?

Complying with the regulation that the lights can only be switched on when the high beam is on is going to be tricky. There are no separate high beam lights and the high beam indicator is virtual on the screen. Perhaps a circuit tapped into the headlight driver to detect the drive current or modulation percent?
Turns out there are options for this which are off-the-shelf (eg CANM8 Connect High Beam Output Interface from InCarSolutons) as was pointed out in another thread

I expect I'll be able to hide the isolation switch inside the console, so it will be unobtrusive, non-destructive and reversible without leaving an ugly scar

I was hoping that wasn't the case. From what you're saying it will take something clever to detect high beam is active which makes this unlikely to be an off-the-shelf project. Thanks for the confirmation.

bjorn nyland reviewed a Lightbar which worked really well. it only comes on with the high beams and to switch it off/on (i.e. urban driving you dont need it) you just switch the highbeams on twice quickly for on or same again for off.

Hey @corndog the real world hijacked me unfortunately, so it will be a few months before I can get back to this. But Lazer have made things easier by releasing their own (link to Lazer CAN interface page) for AUD$195 which helpfully made that decision for me

If you do progress this before I do I'll be keen to hear how the installation went. The choices locally in Brisbane on the Lazer page are mostly for trucking. I don't have the room at home so hoping to find a workshop locally when the time comes that doesn't mind the owner "helping out".

Hi guys

Sorry I've been slack in updating here. David Wallace from The Fitting Bay has responded to pricing request and also made an offer for a 5+ group buy discount if that's of interest. He's confirmed free delivery to each of the 5+ order locations too, not just a single drop somewhere.

On 31/05/2021 12:36 pm, David Wallace wrote:

Hi Geoff,

We can do a kit for you with the linear 18 elite, can module with contactless reader and wiring harness for $1229 including free shipping. If you want to get a group buy of 5 or more together we can give you a 5% discount on all the kits.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks

I'm not sure we've got enough interest for a 5-pack buy, but told him I'd put it up here and see who salutes...

Understood. If you've got an alternative to the Linear Elite I'm keen to hear about it.
I'm after something very discrete and don't need a lot of extra light. I just want the highbeams to shine wider for country driving, so I'm planning to add 2x 30W LEDs into the air intake. They're about 20mm diameter, so similar to a bike light, but more than 3x as bright. It will all be very custom and I'm not sure how it will turn out. I'm still gearing up for my first tests of the lights to see if they'll even be bright enough for my needs. I'm happy to let you know what I end up doing with it all, but I suspect it'll be too much hassle for most people.

Reactions: strykeroz
I'm after something very discrete and don't need a lot of extra light. I just want the highbeams to shine wider for country driving, so I'm planning to add 2x 30W LEDs into the air intake. They're about 20mm diameter, so similar to a bike light, but more than 3x as bright. It will all be very custom and I'm not sure how it will turn out. I'm still gearing up for my first tests of the lights to see if they'll even be bright enough for my needs. I'm happy to let you know what I end up doing with it all, but I suspect it'll be too much hassle for most people.
After 2 years of not going far we have some touring planned this year, so LED light bar is back on the shopping list. Out of interest where did you put the isolation switch, & would you recommend that spot?

Also have you had any negative impact on the 12V battery? I'm mindful ours will be 3 years old by the time the biggest night run is planned this year, and with the extra daylight out front I'm uncertain if I should also be grabbing a new 12V battery too...

After 2 years of not going far we have some touring planned this year, so LED light bar is back on the shopping list. Out of interest where did you put the isolation switch, & would you recommend that spot?

Also have you had any negative impact on the 12V battery? I'm mindful ours will be 3 years old by the time the biggest night run is planned this year, and with the extra daylight out front I'm uncertain if I should also be grabbing a new 12V battery too...
Actually I never ended up installing lights. It was turning into too much work for the amount of use I'd get.

I was planning to hide an isolation switch in the footwell. There is a hole in the plastic cover under the steering column, and to the left. It could be used to mount a switch, while staying hidden and neat.

I was going to take 12v from the penthouse under the rear seats. This is where I get power for my aftermarket audio and power outlets in the boot. This also won't cause 12v battery errors that you might get from connecting to the 12v battery.

The car uses something like 10-15kW when cruising. If your lights draw 100W for example, you'll lose less than 1% range.

Apologies I should have posted this update far sooner. The Linear Elite-18 lightbar has been installed since June 30 and the result is both subtle from the outside and the illumination is even better than I'd hoped.
Sparky lightbar IMG_9830.jpg

The isolation switch is in the rearmost section of the centre console. I decided I'd be not wanting to turn this off and on while driving so to access the switch requires opening the console, lifting out the rear section. The CANM8 and relay are mounted on the left front wheel arch, hidden unless the frunk is unbolted and removed.

I had an installer do the work and I've been very pleased with how it is both stealthy and reversible.

I no longer have concerns about the light bar impacting the 12V as it's been 4 months of driving with it always coming on with the high beam without issue.

But...on the downside, the CANM8 stopped detecting the high beam trigger and I've been waiting for their fix to this (we're now waiting for a firmware update as all CANM8s have the issue with Model 3 currently, apparently). They're claiming Tesla firmware update broke it, but the headlights still do high beam & it still detects the park-light trigger so this one is quite the mystery, Regardless, we've been without the light bar 2+ months at time of typing...which is why I've only driven 4 months though they've been installed 6.

Hoping for an xmas miracle next week ;)

Reactions: corndog