Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light/Cream Headliner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

This forum has been exceedingly helpful in my decision to order and purchase a Tesla. Good and bad things. Nothing is perfect, so it's nice to hear the vehicles deficiencies ahead of time . Thanks.

I was all set to order the Red exterior, white interior combination MX100. I decided to wait until M3 reveal (as some suggested), so I did. Anyway, they now have a cream color which I like. I think it's the lighter headliner which does it for me. The white seats are phenomenal, but the black headliner does darken it up a little.

Question is regarding the "cream" headliner. Do people have issues with kids making mess and cleaning it up off of the lighter headliner? I know the cream isn't out on the streets yet, but some people may have the tan/light headliner, so I was wondering if it picks up every little piece of dirt/rub/wipe that anybody makes.

Thanks for responses ahead of time.

Reactions: Cowby
Nothing you can really do, it will get dirty in some spots.

Trade off between bigger cabin feel or fresh looking headliner.

Personally I'd go with white

(Also do you need a referral code? Please say yes)

10 months ownership here with 2 kids. The only area of concern to me is the FWD switch area, or namely the B pillar. Kid likes to kick that area but I've always been able to wipe it clean with some cleaner spray. Other than that no much issue here but we also don't drive with windows down.

Two years in (today!) and my light headliner still looks absolutely perfect. Mind you, I don't drive with the windows down much and my kids are teens, but I've been impressed with how well spots have come out. Once someone at the car wash (?!) left a dark hand print on the headliner just inside the passenger door. Somehow I didn't notice it until I got home and so I used a suede stone on it (basically a textured rubber eraser) and it came right out. Can't even tell. I don't worry about my headliner at all.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Very interesting discussion! Looking at an X with the new Cream interior that no one in the area has seen (not even samples), so headliner comments are especially welcomed.

About to pull trigger on Blue and Cream. I think this looks a lot better than the old Tan, and not so bright as the White interior. (Sorry for partial hijack! :D)

Reactions: Rossy
Trouble spots for lighter headliner depends on how much used. They are typically around the switches, the drive entry area, and the head area around FWDs and B Pillars. Oil from hands/heads over the years will build up in time, turn black/dark, etc. The dark headliner is best to avoid seeing that - but light looks good if want that more open feel. The black really still feels very open with all the glass etc though so don't worry too much (especially if you do the white seats).

Ugh. You guys are making it way too difficult now. :)

In the online configurator, does it appear that the headliner is a slightly different color from the cream seats? When I look at the swatch samples on configurator, they look slightly different. Or is it my MacBook?

Maybe I'll be happy with either.

I'd say the tan seats are a little darker, not the same color.
If you mean the current 'Cream' seats, the seats look a little lighter than the headliner.. Which is why, I assume, they aren't called 'tan' any longer. :D

The bottom swatch in desktop mode is the seats, unless we are looking at something totally different. The top one is the headliner and clearly looks darker to me on an iPad and Firefox on Windows....

I was told by an OA at Tysons Tesla here that the old tan seats were rarely purchased because they seemed (?) to be made up of three or four different shades. We both assume that the new cream combo is the work of our friend from Volvo (along with the premium non-leather material) who is supposed to be 'fixing' the interiors.

upload_2017-8-6_14-17-4.png

Reactions: Rossy
Ah yes, your right now that they are all non-leather, looks different. Nice combo there, would be a really light airy interior.

I'd say get what you visual like as that will make you guys happy. If keeping the car long term, just expect some wear/dirt here and there, etc. The seats are amazing as wipe clean pretty good, the cloth in back of seats/cracks gets a little dirty, and only way to avoid that is go with black. Just be cool with some dirty headliner potentially down the road, not much, and if care well for car probably just fine for years...

The cream interior surely will look nice and elegant with the wood, etc.

Reactions: boaterva
Ah yes, your right now that they are all non-leather, looks different. Nice combo there, would be a really light airy interior.

I'd say get what you visual like as that will make you guys happy. If keeping the car long term, just expect some wear/dirt here and there, etc. The seats are amazing as wipe clean pretty good, the cloth in back of seats/cracks gets a little dirty, and only way to avoid that is go with black. Just be cool with some dirty headliner potentially down the road, not much, and if care well for car probably just fine for years...

The cream interior surely will look nice and elegant with the wood, etc.
I think one of the major factors is, will you have a lot of messy people (kids and/or adults :D ) in the car. If not, the light colors for headliner are not an issue (unless you are a 'rolling down the highway, all windows open, blasting the tunes' sorta guy or gal!). If so, it's more of a 'wipe things down once in a while' so the dust and fingerprints don't mount up. True for the white/cream seats, of course, also!

The color of the new Cream looks a lot better than the old Tan to me, and a lot less 'blinding white' than the White (and I don't want the black headliner/console). But all that is personal preference, as was excellently stated!

Last edited:
10 months ownership here with 2 kids. The only area of concern to me is the FWD switch area, or namely the B pillar. Kid likes to kick that area but I've always been able to wipe it clean with some cleaner spray. Other than that no much issue here but we also don't drive with windows down.

We have the white interior and our kids kick the b pillar as well and it leaves marks on the black!

Hey there. Just bumping this thread up. I know some are starting to receive their 3Q MXs loaded with the new cream color combination. If you could post pics, would be greatly appreciated!
I should take delivery of my Red w/Cream MX next week. Ordered 7/28, confirmed 7/31, tentative delivery 9/11...but no official word from DS. MyTesla switched from" in transit" to "preparing for delivery".