Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Harmonic Amp & Customer Service discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the amp showed up today. I may try installing it tonight or tomorrow. If not, then definitely Wednesday. It took about a month before the last one blew up, so we'll see what happens. I'll definitely be reporting one way or another.

Got the amp installed today. Sound is much better than the stock. It really does make a difference.

That said, everything is working fine so far... but only time will tell if the two front channels burn out again. Here's to hoping they don't, cause I'm really sick of taking that amp in and out. This is the 5th time I've done it. I've now lost two screws to the depths of the car and broken the footwell air guide.

I'm not sure what the Tesla engineers were thinking when they designed the area under the steering column, but they must have been having a bad day.

Has the general feeling toward LH that they are no longer a fly-by-night shady company and that they seem to be getting their act together with regards to the warranty repairs? And is the feedback still generally good for the door speaker replacement while preserving the factory amp on the non-Ultra audio system?

Just need to find some that are 80mm 2 ohm and a minimum of 35 watts handling...

Tesla UHFS System .jpg

Has the general feeling toward LH that they are no longer a fly-by-night shady company and that they seem to be getting their act together with regards to the warranty repairs? And is the feedback still generally good for the door speaker replacement while preserving the factory amp on the non-Ultra audio system?

The speakers don't add much at all. The amp adds a lot, but unless you're prepared to replace all 12 speakers, I probably wouldn't bother doing anything with the speakers.

As far as RMAs go, it took months to get mine back and I just got it back. I wouldn't classify them as set to have a reliable product yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
The speakers don't add much at all. The amp adds a lot, but unless you're prepared to replace all 12 speakers, I probably wouldn't bother doing anything with the speakers.

As far as RMAs go, it took months to get mine back and I just got it back. I wouldn't classify them as set to have a reliable product yet.
Thanks for the info. Based on some of the reviews out there, it seemed like the door speakers plus a subwoofer was the best combination if you had the standard audio.

Thanks for the info. Based on some of the reviews out there, it seemed like the door speakers plus a subwoofer was the best combination if you had the standard audio.

Oh no, the subwoofer is ridiculously overpriced. You can get a much better sub from Sound Qube for $100 that is basically a drop in replacement... but to take advantage of it, you'll need an amp, otherwise it's weaker than the stock sub.

HDS208 Dual 2

They have sales pretty often, so you can get it for less than listed there if you wait around.

The door speakers, as I said, don't really add much, if anything, to the soundscape inside the car, I would definitely skip those. A sub and amp will be your best bang for the buck. The problem with doing amps in the Tesla is the door speakers are all 1 ohm, so you need a sub that's stable at 1 ohm and that's hard to come by, other than the LH amp.

Otherwise, yeah, you have to replace your speakers along with the sub and go aftermarket traditional amp. You can get much cheaper, better door speakers from the usual car audio suspects than the relatively generic LH ones.

In the end, if you don't want to go the LH way, get a traditional 5 channel amp, a wiring kit (or custom loom) to output to the doors and sub from the Tesla harness. The advantage of the LH amp is that it's plug and play and easy to DIY. The disadvantage is QA (high probability of multiple failed amps) and insanely long RMA time, coupled with spotty communication.

• Informative
Reactions: OregonBob