Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light harmonic amp on MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone spoken with LH on progress to modify their amplifier to be compatible with MCU2? With Tesla increasingly pushing people to the MCU2 now with discounts, I'm really wishing LH would come out with a revised amp. Been a while since LH has offered it for sale on their website or Amazon.

I’ve been trying to contact them for almost 2 years now. It’s like they don’t even exist. I bought an amp from them after MCU 2 came out. They never said it would not be compatible. Countless emails and they are all ignored. I wish they would just make it right and at least back their product. Unless the company changes, stay away from this company. They just ghost on you If you ever try to contact them for any reason unless they can make money off you or your work.

Yeah, well known about their lack of responses. I own their amp and speakers on my MCU1 (which I love), but the clock is ticking on that MCU so just thought I'd ask for the hell of it.

Still likely to just do the daughtercard repair on my MCU1 and keep rocking.

I was actually able to get the amp to run on MCU 2. If you turn on the amp, then ground the mute wire coming out of the amp for a second it will turn on and work. I’m sure there is a way to make it work automatically with something like a timer relay but it wasn’t worth the effort. The sound quality was much worse than stock with very little bass.

There was one person who got it working well with MCU2 but they lived right by LH were able to tweak it in person. The amp does work, I used it on my MCU2 car, but you get weird popping and static with powering up/down. I worked with them to try the tweaks, but it wasn’t ever perfect. My amp had a short and I sent in for repair one year ago, and have not had any news that it will be returned. I will check in every few months, but I will likely never get it back. I would not buy anything from LH until they get their act together.

@Light Harmonic recently posted they are vendor on this website, and that any day now the new amp will be released. I too have MCU2 with the old amp, and it work, but like @Xenoilphobe said, it pops at startup and has a hissing sound at all times. (rather annoying tbh)
I wish they could do better with their Customer service.
In may of 2019 @stuck limo assisted me in getting my amp repaired at the time it blew the right side front. Maybe he's still around and can help??

How were you able to speak to them? A lot of people can’t get a hold of them at all. I spent around $600 on their amp that never worked and never got a reply or response from them. If they want to make it right they should honor their warranty. Otherwise everyone will keep telling everyone else to not do any business with a shady company that will ghost on you once they get your money.

Been using the amp for about a month. Still sounds great. No popping. Kind of sucks to get it working with my lease being up in June. Wondering what the new sound system in the plaid will be. If it’s not compatible I will be selling my amp

With the new speaker system for the upcoming refresh, I'm willing to bet the stock amplifier will be a redesign. I just hope it's not as inadequate like the current stock model.

In any case, I'm waiting to test drive the refresh before pulling the trigger. My next vehicle is either the refresh or a used Raven, depending on how good or bad Tesla implements the changes.