Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Harmonic Premium Sound System Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the sound: It does sound incredible. They just suck at communicating. The sub they provide sucks in sound quality relative to the stock unit. I left my stock sub in even though it's paper. Their door speakers have an appreciable improvement.
The amp is Stunning. Stellar. If you can get them to sell you the amp alone, that's the way to go. Door speakers help too, but are not mind blowing like the amp.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Hey everyone, Jarek from Light Harmonic here. After many many requests, we finally DO have the new Tesla S amps in stock, as well as the new improved door speakers. They're available online at our site, or you can also (which I advise) contact me via PM with your information and I'll send you an invoice and send the PayPal instructions.

I have been thinking about buying an LH amp for my March 2018 MS with MCU2. Since my car has UHFS it has both Tesla amps. My question is which amp drives the A-pillar tweeters? Some posts indicate the premium amp drives the front door speakers, lift gate speakers, and subwoofer through 5 channels. Other posts indicate the premium amp drives the A-pillar tweeters, as well, using 7 total channels. Since LH is a 5 channel amp, does the standard Tesla amp drive the tweeters or are they possibly passive?

I have been thinking about buying an LH amp for my March 2018 MS with MCU2. Since my car has UHFS it has both Tesla amps. My question is which amp drives the A-pillar tweeters? Some posts indicate the premium amp drives the front door speakers, lift gate speakers, and subwoofer through 5 channels. Other posts indicate the premium amp drives the A-pillar tweeters, as well, using 7 total channels. Since LH is a 5 channel amp, does the standard Tesla amp drive the tweeters or are they possibly passive?

Check out Teslatap for pretty much everything there is to know regarding the sound systems, and plenty of other articles as well

Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

Check out Teslatap for pretty much everything there is to know regarding the sound systems, and plenty of other articles as well

Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

I have read all the threads, posts and articles referencing Light Harmonic on the forum. If this Tesla Tap article is correct, the A-pillar tweeters are driven by the Tesla 7 channel premium amp along with the front door speakers, rear lift gate speakers, and subwoofer. Since the LH amp is 5 channel instead of 7 channel, there are not enough channels for all 7 of these speakers to be actively driven using the LH amp. There is an illustration on the forum showing a top view of a Model S with all 12 speakers separated into two color-coated groups. The first group is for the premium amp and includes front doors, lift gate, and subwoofer (5 channels), and the standard amp group shows tweeters, 3 dash speakers, and rear doors (7 channels). I thought the standard amp has 5 channels, not 7. That’s why I am confused about which speakers are driven from what amps when using the LH amp. Any help from those of you with the LH amp to figure this out would be appreciated.

I have the LH system in both my Model S's, with one modification, I added a different 8 inch sub in the stock enclosure than the one provided by LH.

If I were to do it all over again, I would skip their speakers and just get the AMP. I would get Focal or something similar in the stock locations.

Here is some background on the Model S UHFS system -https://www.whathifi.com/features/how-tesla-developed-in-car-audio-system-model-s-saloon

Also here is a detailed thread for LH Removing Stock subwoofer

I would not buy the LH amp if you have MCU2. I bought the amp, and it sounds great but there are issues. The biggest thing is that there are very loud pops when the system powers up. I even had my amp RMAd and it does the same thing. I think that the power management of MCU2 is causing this since there is no longer an always on/always connected mode, the MCU sleeps immediately. While the sound was good, the popping every time you got in the car was annoying and I removed the amp. Maybe this was just my car, but I’d be hesitant to buy the amp.

I have the LH system in both my Model S's, with one modification, I added a different 8 inch sub in the stock enclosure than the one provided by LH.

If I were to do it all over again, I would skip their speakers and just get the AMP. I would get Focal or something similar in the stock locations.

Here is some background on the Model S UHFS system -https://www.whathifi.com/features/how-tesla-developed-in-car-audio-system-model-s-saloon

When someone reads that Whathifi article one would tend to think the sound system sounds incredible. Sadly it just came up a little short. The voicing is there, it works pretty well from 400 hz and up, but the one note sub and lack of dynamics needs some work. Maybe some unsolicited change after the system was spec'd like too small gauge amp wiring when the system went into production resulted in the 560 low current thin sounding watts.

Thanks for the link to the whathifi.com article - it answers my question. The tweeters are driven by the standard amp and the standard amp has 7 channels, not the premium amp.

I also appreciate the advice and recommendations. I have LH, SoundQubed, and Morel speakers - trying to upgrade but keep close to factory impedance specs for best results. Need a nice one or 2 ohm 8 inch front door speaker (stock is 1 ohm). I do like the LH speaker because it is 1.2 ohms, but it would have been better in 8 inches instead of 6.

I would not buy the LH amp if you have MCU2. I bought the amp, and it sounds great but there are issues. The biggest thing is that there are very loud pops when the system powers up. I even had my amp RMAd and it does the same thing. I think that the power management of MCU2 is causing this since there is no longer an always on/always connected mode, the MCU sleeps immediately. While the sound was good, the popping every time you got in the car was annoying and I removed the amp. Maybe this was just my car, but I’d be hesitant to buy the amp.

Thanks Verdee. Your LH amp popping on startup is concerning. Do others with the LH amp and MCU2 also have popping on startup?