Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light harmonic sound setup with amp and sub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the light harmonic system and I must say, it a great system for the price . I wanted something without adding more wires or cables to my car, so Light harmonic was a no brained. Hardest part of the installation was taking out the old amp because it was located in such a tight space.
Installation took around 4 hours for everything.
IMG_20191231_185041_901.jpg
IMG_20191231_185041_901.jpg

Attachments

• 20191231_113515.jpg
    20191231_113515.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: TonyT
How was the installation for you?

Door speakers are plug and play. Amp is more difficult the first time, but after a few iterations it was not bad. (I live in the same city where LH is located and we worked together on MCU2 tuning on the amp). Stock premium amp is located behind the dash to the lower left of the steering wheel. The LH amp is a direct replacement of the stock premium amp and uses the same wiring harness adapter and mounting bolts. I removed and replaced the 217 fuse in the passenger lower fuse box with a larger amp fuse. It’s a different type of fuse than the older cars (my Model S was built in March 2018 and a few things are different related to this install from the older cars) so I had to buy the correct replacement fuse. I had to remove left side dash trim, and lower trim under the steering wheel, and lower plastic cover that goes around the brake pedal mechanism. Ducting is attached to the lower plastic cover and was a little difficult to get back in place, but there is a slot for fitting onto the cover that lines it up properly. Once the front trim was removed I could easily access the wiring harness adapter and unplug it by releasing the latch and pulling the handle. I disconnected the diagnostic link from its bracket below which was a little difficult since the screw heads were on the left side and not easily accessible. The FM radio is on the same bracket as the amp so I had to disconnect the adapters to it, but did not have to remove it from the bracket. I had to remove the entire bracket with amp still attached. I found all but one of the bracket bolts accessible and easy to remove - there is one in the back at the top that I had to use a long socket extension to reach from underneath. After removing bracket bolts the bracket that holds the amp and FM radio was free and I then had to manipulate it carefully to remove if from below since it was a tight fit. Once removed the amp was easy to replace as it is attached to the bracket with 4 bolts - an exact fit in the stock location. Putting everything back was the reverse process of removal. The first time I did it took me about 3 hours, but the fourth time was only about 45 minutes. Having the right tools helped me and I have a lot of experience doing car stereo installations.

I also ran into the issue of the left sided screw heads, and couldn’t figure out how to get them out. I discovered you can actually fit the amp behind the dash without removing the old amp. This has been nice since I have had a few issues with the amp and needed to remove it a few times. This makes installation take maybe 30 minutes.

I also ran into the issue of the left sided screw heads, and couldn’t figure out how to get them out. I discovered you can actually fit the amp behind the dash without removing the old amp. This has been nice since I have had a few issues with the amp and needed to remove it a few times. This makes installation take maybe 30 minutes.

do you end up leaving the new amp in front of the old amp?

More info or pics of this? Would like to see how that works in case I ever have issues with mine.

Reactions: jobiggs24