Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Harmonic upgraded speakers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So who's done the speaker upgrades by Light Harmonic While you drive the world’s best electric vehicle, you should be listening to the world’s best stereo.

How does it sound? mega improvement? love to hear your thoughts
S12_Package.jpg

Thought I would ask here instead of creating a new post, I too am looking at upgrading my system to the kit mentioned above. Thing is I have the standard audio system, in my 70D. Does anyone know if the wires are run to the trunk for the subwoofer already? If so I will just buy a factory sub enclosure and add their amp. Also it looks like from the latest posts I have found across the forum it looks like they resolved their quality issues on the amps, is this the case?

What brand capacitors are on the amp?

Mallory. I have the amp & sub, still using factory speakers. It does sound significantly better than the stock UHF system. I compared it side-to-side with a friends car who also has UHF with the same music (USB stick) and you can easily hear the difference. Not only low-end bass, but drums sound much punchier and not muddy. Mids are a bit clearer as well.

I took my amp apart back when I first got it and snapped some pics.
4.JPG
cap.JPG

Reactions: davidc18
I just upgraded my Tesla's stock speakers to the light harmonics speakers. Much better results. Though the new model s with standard sound system sounds almost as good. It was only the older cars that will benefit from the speaker upgrades. I am not sure when the standard sound was upgraded but I recently drove a early 2018 model and the sound was pretty good. My mid 2016 had crappy sound until I upgraded to the light harmonic. Both cars had standard sound system.

• Disagree
Reactions: ishareit and Flaker
From what I have read, LHR sounds "a bit better", but nothing close to "the worlds best stereo". If you really want tremendous sound, you have to replace everything BUT the door speakers, that is the least crappy part of the Tesla UHFS system. The weakness as I understand it is the subwoofer (big), the crossovers, amps, and tweeters -- and importantly, TUNING of all of this equip. That said, if $1200 + lots of install time/effort is worth it, then go for it. I seriously considered LHR, even tried to place an order, and I am so thankful it did not happen.

I would first make inquiries in the London area for installers who might specialize in Tesla upgrades. Many of us have installed Reus systems (~4k +) in our Teslas, and it is absolutely killer. I know a big part of that is the expertise in not just installing premium components, but in the tuning as well (getting the crossover frequencies right, etc.).

I just upgraded my Tesla's stock speakers to the light harmonics speakers. Much better results. Though the new model s with standard sound system sounds almost as good. It was only the older cars that will benefit from the speaker upgrades. I am not sure when the standard sound was upgraded but I recently drove a early 2018 model and the sound was pretty good. My mid 2016 had crappy sound until I upgraded to the light harmonic. Both cars had standard sound system.

Did you do just the speakers or the amp and speakers. From my understanding only the UHFS system has the amp that is replaceable. At least according to the service manuals I looked at today.

For those who have added an subwoofer is there any noticable loss in range in adding a 500 watt amp?

Going to a class D amplifier from a current hungry class A/B is a great idea. I wonder how many km's of range the stock stereo consumes per hour? And a little surprising Tesla didn't think of this... or maybe they did test it and determined it was negligible.

Going to a class D amplifier from a current hungry class A/B is a great idea. I wonder how many km's of range the stock stereo consumes per hour? And a little surprising Tesla didn't think of this... or maybe they did test it and determined it was negligible.
I’m pretty sure no matter what you’re after market upgrade is, it will rely on high output from the existing Tesla amp. Again making it imperative to install class D amps only.

Hey everyone, Jarek from Light Harmonic here. After many many requests, we finally DO have the new Tesla S amps in stock, as well as the new improved door speakers. They're available online at our site, or you can also (which I advise) contact me via PM with your information and I'll send you an invoice and send the PayPal instructions.

Hey everyone, Jarek from Light Harmonic here. After many many requests, we finally DO have the new Tesla S amps in stock, as well as the new improved door speakers. They're available online at our site, or you can also (which I advise) contact me via PM with your information and I'll send you an invoice and send the PayPal instructions.
I just got my amp and I’m excited to install it this week. Question regarding the 35 amp fuse, does it just replace the premium audio amp fuse?

Not the best sound, but the following EQ settings work pretty good on my Sep 2017 standard audio Model S.

IMG_1359.jpg