Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light off roading possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a Model 3 now and love it. Later this year, or early next year I will probably buy either a 2nd Model 3 or an X. The thing is, I am somewhat of an outdoors man and some of my favorite fishing spots are out in an abandoned strip mine. The roads are not so bad, my 2WD pickup does it without issue--basically just some rougher dirt roads. Is the Model X ok for some light off roading? The new Model Y looks absolutely useless for off roading as it has about the same ground clearance as the 3.

I own a Model 3 now and love it. Later this year, or early next year I will probably buy either a 2nd Model 3 or an X. The thing is, I am somewhat of an outdoors man and some of my favorite fishing spots are out in an abandoned strip mine. The roads are not so bad, my 2WD pickup does it without issue--basically just some rougher dirt roads. Is the Model X ok for some light off roading? The new Model Y looks absolutely useless for off roading as it has about the same ground clearance as the 3.

My Model 3 has been on a number of roads that most people wouldn't take there cars on. Traction is great, just got to watch for how deep the ruts are. And as I found the hard way, once the ruts start to get really deep, the rear view camera makes backing out a piece of cake!

You may be very pleased with your X. Took our S down a “shortcut” back road that I later learned had been abandoned after the first quarter mile. It got rougher and more challenging. Nearly got to the end, where it reconnected with pavement, but the saplings had grown too close together.

Was okay with suspension in highest position and chill mode for fine power control. Folded mirrors to get through tight spots. Didn’t seem to need slip mode.

Backed up until I could turn around. On the way out I got too close to the edge where it sloped down. Front wheel slipped down, ended up trapped with a sapling stump in the wheel well. Couldn’t figure out how to escape without damage.

Called a tow service. Driver wasn’t sure he could get his truck down the road to the S. He parked at the end I nearly reached. We walked in his jack, some come-along straps and lumber.

Used a “Murphy’s Law” block for the front jack point. Got the car free without any damage or too much drama. Loaded the equipment in the trunk and drove out the long way and around to his truck.

Turns out he grew up in the area. Remembered his dad taking the family down the road in his Jeep when it was first abandoned. He was astounded at how well the S did getting in and getting out.

No problem cleaning mud, leaf stains, grease and a bit of blood from the white interior. Got home, changed into good clothes and the family got to our fancy dinner reservation on time.

My driveway needs work. It's a mile or so of very weather beaten dirt road. I've taken my X a lot of places, though.

MVIMG_20180624_102839.jpg

I've driven my X on many dirt roads. I take it slow to avoid damage. If I were to do it on really bad roads I replace the tires with Goodrich KO2's. The KO2's are quiet at highway speeds but excellent off road. The Ford Raptor truck uses them.

The Youtuber "Tesla Bjorn" did some expensive damage to his Model X by going down a rutted road in Norway.

I think you're nuts to risk an expensive to buy & repair vehicle like this on an off-road adventure!

Bjorn nyland has tested the model X like no one i have ever seen, hes done things to it/in it i wouldnt even consider, but.. from what ive seen the tesla performed adequately or above and beyond! If curious what a tesla can handle check out some of his youtube videos. He was actually a huge part of me deciding on a tesla.