Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light or Dark headliner with Black Leather Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla actually removed the option for Ultra White seats w' white headliner from what I remember. I recall Franz von Holzhausen saying that the off-white "cream" of the white headliner didn't quite match with the Ultra White upholstery.

My general rule of thumb is one of contrast: Black upholstery should have a light headliner, and white upholstery should have a black headliner. Colors that are too close don't provide good contrast and can make the cabin too monochromatic. The only way to know for sure though is to check out the interiors in person to figure out which combinations work best for you.

My own personal preference: White headliner, black seats.

Why?

Because the black interior doesn't distract the eye while driving and doesn't get dirty as fast. But the black headliner always made me feel like I was looking out of a cave. With the pano, the upper car is light.

Wife and I discussed. We went black leather / black headliner.
We have a bunch of kids & cousins with us usually.

We didn't care for most of the leather colors except for black. We live in Texas and ideally would like a lighter color, but they didn't have an option for something like grey leather.

For headliner, I'd also generally prefer a light headliner for contrast and feeling more 'open'... but we have an Odyssey now, and can definitely attest to various colored-marks on the roof from kids... so black it is.

I'm hoping the pre-cooling from the mobile app will negate the problem with black leather in Texas summer heat.

Black on Black. Easier on the eyes. It might be an age thing, but as I broke 50, I noticed that I don't like everything as bright around the periphery, just on what I am focused on - the road. Plus light headliners just seem to magically pick up the odd hunk of dirt or weird misplaced handprint. All personal preference.

I had a Ford that was black with black interior, and a white headliner. I didn't even notice it was white until I had to decide which headliner to get on an Audi. Audi is black with black with black headliner, and I can't say that it feels gloomy inside.

About to buy another Audi, and this one is black with black and has a white headliner. I am concerned about it. My kids never put handprints on the Ford, but I did have a big black handprint from the oil-change guy grabbing it while putting the little sticker at the top of the windshield.

Reading here makes me feel better about this next car coming with white, since at least half the people prefer it.