Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light scratch on bottom part of side mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how it happened. It could be the case that another car touched my side mirror while my M3 was parked (the scratch is too light for Sentry to have been activated), or it could be that it happened while I was driving. I live in a busy city with lots of cars parked all over the place.

At any rate, I cannot change the past. What I am interested in is what solutions I have. On the one hand, I know that I could talk to Tesla and get a quote for a replacement mirror, though I don't know how expensive that would be. On the other hand, I've read something about deleting the chrome. What does that mean? And can you recommend any other solution?

Side note: from the photo you might get the impression that the top part is damaged as well; it is not, it is just dirty. Only the bottom part is scratched.

Attachments

• CD3798DE-BF34-4B9E-B31B-5CEA26E1E985.jpeg
    CD3798DE-BF34-4B9E-B31B-5CEA26E1E985.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 897
Is it that faint white mark on the bottom trim? Looks like it would buff out with a good polish.
Yes, is it that faint white mark that I was referring to.

I talked to a professional and he said that area cannot be polished because it would "melt away". But maybe he's wrong - what would one to polish that area of the side mirror? I suppose that there's plastic in there.

As I do not actually have my model 3 yet, sigh - is that the new black metal trim like around the windows? or is it just plastic?

If its plastic, I use Meguiars Polish, have taken many a scuff out of plastic.

Usually its the paint of the other guy left behind. Comes right off. You could test a small area without harm, I would think.