Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light show update trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pushed it all the way up, and got the beep, but the trunk didn't dance during the light show
Not a big deal, thanks, in any event.

Sorry to hear that. I performed a trunk reset and had it open for the 2 light shows I did thereafter. So overall, 3 out of 4 worked for me. Weirdly, the first show I ever did worked at whatever trunk setting I had, but the 2nd show did not.

Yeah I saw that after! Didn’t work! It works if I open the trunk on the app when it should open during the light show, still won’t work automatically though!
Yes, they will probably fix it with another update. I have one of the early 2021 Model 3 Long Range version, made in US.

Thanks for the link, I’ll watch your videos ! I subsribe.
Mine is also an US model (june 2021).
I didn’t want one made in china so I got a performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: zef3215
hi guys. 4/20/23 today and attempting new light shows with no trunk open. has anyone found a fix for this? also does anyone know what the factory trunk height setting is? i dont believe its max because when i got the car i ended up moving it up to max because bumping head so i dont think max was a default setting and probably why trunk not opening with light show because i adjusted it to max. i get the attempt to open but then latches again. ive tried a couple different positions with no luck but the trunk works fine otherwise. its a 2021 model 3 sr now on build 2022.45.15 with fsd beta subscription 11.3.6 but same old no trunk open for light show. any ideas let me know thanks.

hi guys. 4/20/23 today and attempting new light shows with no trunk open. has anyone found a fix for this? also does anyone know what the factory trunk height setting is? i dont believe its max because when i got the car i ended up moving it up to max because bumping head so i dont think max was a default setting and probably why trunk not opening with light show because i adjusted it to max. i get the attempt to open but then latches again. ive tried a couple different positions with no luck but the trunk works fine otherwise. its a 2021 model 3 sr now on build 2022.45.15 with fsd beta subscription 11.3.6 but same old no trunk open for light show. any ideas let me know thanks.
Update. Took it to Tesla service they said the power strut was weak and replaced it. Trunk now works with light show. Opens a bit more quickly now as well. So for anyone having issues with the trunk not opening with light show might want to schedule service so they can inspect the power strut.

Update. Took it to Tesla service they said the power strut was weak and replaced it. …schedule service so they can inspect the power strut.
Did the trunk operate poorly before replacing?
Never got the trunk to open for the light show, but trunk operates properly.
Hate to think that Tesla would have to spend (a lot of) money fixing a part that, for the most part, works as intended…just so folks could watch the trunk go up and down as part of the show (that they’ll display a few times, before ignoring it)

Did the trunk operate poorly before replacing?
Never got the trunk to open for the light show, but trunk operates properly.
Hate to think that Tesla would have to spend (a lot of) money fixing a part that, for the most part, works as intended…just so folks could watch the trunk go up and down as part of the show (that they’ll display a few times, before ignoring it)
same here it always opened just not with light show. it was noisy at times i lubed it with grease a few times and it would be quiet for a little while then get noisy again. the new strut i definitely notice the difference it opens more quickly now and they set it to the height i had it which is max. i forgot to ask if the strut was revised at all since 2021 but if yours wont open with light show i suspect same problem. i saw some people on reddit saying power strut replacement fixed their light show problem also.

We tried the light show the other day on our new M3SR+ (yeah the trunk opened) and we saw the headlights spell TESLA on the garage! We've got matrix headlights! Woo!

I hope they actually enable the matrix sometime soon. My automatic lights just toggle high/low beams right now.