Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Lighted Rear Applique for the Model X -- wiring completed today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Lighted applique is now a GEN IV, the Lighted "T's" are also on the forth generation. All LED's are RGB, so now you can control the
colors in the lighted "T's". Gen IV has a charge display that was not available in Gen III. There are more special effects with the Gen IV
system.

I have one of these Lighted Rear Applique's. I was one of the first people to install it on an S. I put it on my '13 then moved it to my '17. Its really one of the two coolest mods that I have done to my Tesla. I get all kinds of looks when sitting at a traffic light waiting to turn left or right. You can see the people behind smiling and pointing at the back of my liftgate. The way it scrolls left to right and right to left is amazing. I am in the process of upgrading to the GEN IV now.

Guys, hang on to your OEM applique. If you later sell your car or trade it back in, remove the lighted applique, clip the wires and tape the ends and put the Lighted Applique on your next Tesla or offer it to someone on TMC. You will get most of your money back. I got the MC Red one and it blends so well with my Red car, you can't tell any difference.

I have one of these Lighted Rear Applique's. I was one of the first people to install it on an S. I put it on my '13 then moved it to my '17. Its really one of the two coolest mods that I have done to my Tesla. I get all kinds of looks when sitting at a traffic light waiting to turn left or right. You can see the people behind smiling and pointing at the back of my liftgate. The way it scrolls left to right and right to left is amazing. I am in the process of upgrading to the GEN IV now.

Guys, hang on to your OEM applique. If you later sell your car or trade it back in, remove the lighted applique, clip the wires and tape the ends and put the Lighted Applique on your next Tesla or offer it to someone on TMC. You will get most of your money back. I got the MC Red one and it blends so well with my Red car, you can't tell any difference.
i have a prototype that didn't last past a winter season. :( too expensive to fail from water like that

We have learned a lot about the different types of LED's and how to communicate with the LED's. The new Gen IV is a totally redesigned
light board and controller. No longer do we need to send a string of 365 bits of information just to pick off 6 so that you can change the
color of a LED. The old christmas tree type of lighting passing data from one LED to the other is no longer being used. I wish I could tell
you that the new light boards will last forever. The new light boards will last a lot longer then the old Gen II boards. I should let you know that there are Gen II lints boards that still work. The oldest board that I know of is 4 years old and still running strong.

We have learned a lot about the different types of LED's and how to communicate with the LED's. The new Gen IV is a totally redesigned
light board and controller. No longer do we need to send a string of 365 bits of information just to pick off 6 so that you can change the
color of a LED. The old christmas tree type of lighting passing data from one LED to the other is no longer being used. I wish I could tell
you that the new light boards will last forever. The new light boards will last a lot longer then the old Gen II boards. I should let you know that there are Gen II lints boards that still work. The oldest board that I know of is 4 years old and still running strong.

Do you have a video of the controller installation? I see the installation of the LED board on the website.

Yep, I recommend you go back to their web site and find the installation instructions and review them. They helped understand what makes sense and gives you insight for other projects. I tapped into the liftgate controller with a fuse box so I could power other mods in the trunk.